Should I apply this Cycle or Next?

After reviewing the prerequisite coursework for some local PA programs, it's come to my attention that I could probably apply this upcoming cycle.  However, I would likely be applying without the things in red and the things in blue would likely be incomplete by the time of application (meaning I'd finish them after I applied to CASPA).

Progress thus far:

• BS (psychology in May)
  • ~3.5 sGPA with only one class less than an A- (Che 2 = B-

Health Care Experience consisting largely of Behavioral Health:

• 700+ hours as a Mental Health Technician at a Behavioral Hospital
  • 200+ hours as a Therapeutic Staff Support (working with autism primarily)
  • 150+ hours as a Home Health Aide (pediatrics/autism)
  • 20 hours as a Therapist Aide (volunteer)

Things left to do:

• Statistics, Nutrition, and Organic Chemistry 1 (I also want to take Orgo 2 to demonstrate that my poor academic start - 2 consecutive years of withdrew/fails - was due to immaturity which is no longer reminiscient of the adult I am today)
  • GRE's
  • Shadow a PA
  • EMT - strongly considering an accelerated EMT course during the summer so I can have some kind of relevant medical patient experience
  • Acquire Letters of Recommendation
  • Write Personal Essay

All of the things left to do can be done before June, but I would still likely take the EMT course in the summer and take Orgo 1 in the Fall (leaving Orgo 2 out of the picture completely).  My GRE scores might not be the best also since I haven't taken math in some time, so that's another area of some concern.  However, if I were to wait until next cycle I would have a considerable amount more of experience (including hopefully ER Tech experience) as well as a better score on my GRE's and hopefully better suited LOR and essay.

Any suggestions for those that have been through this process?  Are my stats good enough as they stand to apply or should I wait to improve?

Hi there!

First of all, I haven't been through this process, but I am in a similar situation in that I will be applying this upcoming cycle, but still have tons of stuff to do.

If I were in your shoes, I would apply this year. The reason I say this is because there is always a chance you'd get interviewed and even if you don't make it in the program, you'd have the experience of the interview process and the CASPA process. I know it's not free to just apply and it takes a lot of work, but I think that if you apply and don't get in then apply next cycle, it may show perseverance?

Again, I'm not speaking from any experience, just my thoughts. Good Luck!

My original plan was to apply this upcoming cycle but ended up applying to a few schools this past cycle. I asked the question of whether or not to apply and the feedback I received was, why not? There isn't much downside and maybe you will get in! I did not get accepted but did receive one interview and a lot of feedback that is helping me improve my app for this cycle. Good luck!

Apply, for God's sake! You're a great applicant! My overall sGPA was similar (no withdrawals or < B, though) but MUCH less HCE (about 200 hours total, also in mental health); I applied in September and got into two schools this cycle. Apply now! Don't doubt yourself. I was bowled over that I got accepted at all... the lesson I took from this experience is to always shoot for your goal, even if you think you are a little disadvantaged or "behind the pack." You never know what will happen and besides, you sound very qualified to me.

Good luck to you!

Apply, for God's sake! You're a great applicant! My overall sGPA was similar (no withdrawals or < B, though) but MUCH less HCE (about 200 hours total, also in mental health); I applied in September and got into two schools this cycle. Apply now! Don't doubt yourself. I was bowled over that I got accepted at all... the lesson I took from this experience is to always shoot for your goal, even if you think you are a little disadvantaged or "behind the pack." You never know what will happen and besides, you sound very qualified to me.

Good luck to you!

If you don't mind me asking, what schools did you get into? I had similar HCE when I applied last yr

Look into the EMT thing a little more before you committee your summer to the program. I myself did go the EMS route and worked for 2 years prior to being accepted, but I was one of the only ones in my class to get a job working as an EMT. In some states it is very difficult to get a job. All that being said just see what kind of opportunities are available around you with the EMT-B Cert before your spend a whole summer on it.....

I myself did go the EMS route and worked for 2 years prior to being accepted, but I was one of the only ones in my class to get a job working as an EMT. In some states it is very difficult to get a job. All that being said just see what kind of opportunities are available around you with the EMT-B Cert before your spend a whole summer on it.....

Why do you think it is difficult to get a job working as a EMT? The reason I ask is because where I live rumor has it (I should confirm) is very competitive to do the EMS route as well as become an EMT. My guess it is because it's something quick and fast and a fairly inexpensive program as a profession and/or for many of us trying to get the HCE many PA schools desire. Where are you if you do not mind me asking?

Look into the EMT thing a little more before you committee your summer to the program. I myself did go the EMS route and worked for 2 years prior to being accepted, but I was one of the only ones in my class to get a job working as an EMT. In some states it is very difficult to get a job. All that being said just see what kind of opportunities are available around you with the EMT-B Cert before your spend a whole summer on it.....

This is a good point, especially after I've had some time to think things over.  If I don't take the EMT course then I can take Org 1 in the summer (and satisfy program prerequisites).  However, I also won't have that "hardcore" healthcare experience, as my current experience consists of MHT, TSS, and HHA (no real medical experience admittedly).  It's real a Catch-22, but I think you raise a really good point.  With that being said, I am currently #1 on the waitlist for Organic Chemistry this summer.  But if I don't get into Orgo it won't be a big deal.  Having an EMT-B will likely get me a job as medical transport and then, after a little while (hopefully very little while :P) I can move onto ER-Tech/EMS.  Most importantly though I'll have real exposure to practicing medicine on the lowest level and will interact with physicians, PAs, nurses, and etc.  That exposure will help guide my future as I prepare to take Orgo 1/2 (and possibly Phys 1/2) in the Fall/Spring while I work on building a strong profile.  This is the current plan but if I get into Orgo I might make some modifications...including applying this cycle :D

Why do you think it is difficult to get a job working as a EMT? The reason I ask is because where I live rumor has it (I should confirm) is very competitive to do the EMS route as well as become an EMT. My guess it is because it's something quick and fast and a fairly inexpensive program as a profession and/or for many of us trying to get the HCE many PA schools desire. Where are you if you do not mind me asking?

It is very competitive. I am in NC. When I finished EMS school 2 years ago, I interviewed in 4 different counties. At each interview I was 1 of approx. 60 people going out for the one basic slot they were trying to fill, luckily I got one! That being said, in my time with the company I figured out that most places want medics, and not basics....And one place I interviewed at only hired a basic if they were currently in or planed to enroll into medic school....

Archived