College of Saint Mary in Omaha, NE, will be starting a PA program, which combines a 5-year Bachelor of Science in Human Biology & Master of Science in Physician Assistant. Start in Pre-Physician Assistant classes leading to a Bachelor of Science in Human Biology and begin PA classes in your 4th year of study. If accepted as a Pre-PA student and progression requirements are completed successfully, you will be enrolled in CSM’s PA program with no further application required!

College of Saint Mary …

• Offers small class sizes and one-to-one attention from caring and knowledgeable professors

• Has NEW, state-of-the-art simulation labs

• Prepares our graduates for PA certification through the Physician Assistant National Certifying Examination (PANCE) leading to licensure and practice

High school seniors/college students:

Become a PA in 5 years instead of the traditional 6-7 years with the comfort of knowing you will be admitted into the program if you are accepted as a Pre-PA student and meet the progression requirements.

College graduates:

Take missing prerequisites by joining CSM in year 2 or 3 as a Pre-PA student and have the security of knowing you will be admitted into the program if you are accepted as a Pre-PA student and meet the progression requirements.

To learn more about CSM and our new PA program, please contact Shaun Grammer, PA-C, PA Program Director at sgrammer@csm.edu

The College of Saint Mary Physician Assistant (PA) Program has applied for provisional accreditation from the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA).  CSM anticipates matriculating its first PA class in Fall 2016, pending provisional accreditation in Spring 2016.   Provisional accreditation is an accreditation status for a new PA program that has not yet enrolled students, but at the time of its comprehensive accreditation review, has demonstrated its preparedness to initiate a program in accordance with the accreditation Standards.  Pre-PA students are currently being accepted and under all circumstances will be eligible to complete a degree in human biology.

Kind of a bummer you only take women as I live in Omaha and am looking to knock out my last few pre-reqs and find a PA program.  UNMC is a solid program in Omaha, Union in Lincoln is way to expensive for me to seriously consider.  Oh well.

What about the health care experience part of becoming a PA?  I wonder how these fast track programs "deal with" that?

Some Pre-PA students transfer in years 2 and 3 with quite a bit of experience to finish prerequisites.  For those who need more healthcare experience, we help our Pre-PA students get experience through CNA, EMT, and volunteer work.  We do not require the Pre-PA students to do a specific experience, but instead, work with their interests and help find healthcare opportunities that best fit them.

Some Pre-PA students transfer in years 2 and 3 with quite a bit of experience to finish prerequisites.  For those who need more healthcare experience, we help our Pre-PA students get experience through CNA, EMT, and volunteer work.  We do not require the Pre-PA students to do a specific experience, but instead, work with their interests and help find healthcare opportunities that best fit them.

Sounds like yall have a good program shaping up.  I'm super bummed I cannot consider you do to my male-ness.  Good luck!

Discrimination against males. I am surprised if ARC-PA would certify them. It should not be allowed. Wow.

I have e-mailed my concern to the ARC-PA. Nothing personal, I just want to know what their thoughts are on this.

What about the health care experience part of becoming a PA?  I wonder how these fast track programs "deal with" that?

IMO, PA Program entrance requirements are becoming more like medical school, but not in a good way. I think this is especially true of these new fast track programs - focusing more on academics than anything else, and less on patient care experience. The PA Profession was originally formed on the concept of taking experienced healthcare professionals and building upon that, which is why it was acceptable to let them practice after only approx 2 years of formal training.

Now there are calls to extent PA training further, and I worry that it is in large part due to negating the fact that actual patient care experience before entering a PA Program means something. I have personally worked alongside PA students doing their clinical rotations in the ED, and talked afterwards with the Physicians who were precepting them. The differences between a student who had no healthcare experience before PA school, and one that had a couple years or more was very obvious.

It directly affects them when they get into practice too. A practicing PA on this board said that when he supervises recently hired PAs who had no prior experience before PA school, they need a lot more "babysitting" on the job.