First of all, I want to say that I am very thrilled to have gotten into PA school. I can't wait till July when I start school. Now, I figured I come back to reality and really see how much I will owe. Yesterday I sat down and after punching in some numbers, I got a lot more than I expected.

I got into a school in NYC (27 months). The tuition with fees, books, and supplies, the total was around 88k. As for the living expenses, with rent, utilities, transportation, and food, I figured $2000 per month (is this too little?). After 27 months, the total will be 142k!!

Is this reasonable? I was expecting 100k total but I guess I was wrong. I have 25k from undergrad so with everything together, I will be in lots of debt. Is this the norm? For those of you in school, did you take out 100% of tuition and living expenses in loans? Help!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm starting in June this year and did the same number crunching recently. My tuition is less than yours so my bottom line number is a bit smaller (but still intimidating). I'll be busting my butt to find a loan repayment job after school. 

There are some fortunate people who have a ton in savings, a sugar momma/daddy, trust funds, wealthy parents, the right lottery ticket, etc. I'm not one of them so loans it is. 

"It'll be worth it... It'll be worth it... It'll be worth it..."

Just to make sure my logic is sound. If I have a savings/scholarship I will be pulling from to pay for PA school and I will still need an additional 40K to pay for the program. Isn't it best to take out that 40K during Year 2 vs taking out 20K Year 1 and 20K Year 2 because interest will be accruing for longer with the second option? I have never taken out any loans so am really unfamiliar with this whole thing.

I will be in the same boat as you. Even with using the rest of my post 9/11 GI Bill, I'm still looking at over 120k for my 30 month long program. I will be applying for every scholarship I can get! Living as frugally as possible should help some. Are you from NYC? I'm from Queens, so I know that a lot of rentals can go for about $2000 a month and more. It depends on where exactly you are living. There are definitely cheaper options but you have to know where to look. If your program is right in Manhattan, then it would probably be best to look at commuting from the other boroughs. I would start looking for a place asap so you can have an accurate buget. Will you be driving or using public transportation? Those are things to consider in your NYC budget.

We are not alone in this situation. There are many PAs out there who used loans to finance their entire education and living expenses. Some were able to get loan repayment after and some didn't but the general consensus is that it is doable!

You can't do Perkins or subsidized for grad school- only unsubsidized stafford, grad plus, or private loans.

Aiviphung- Yes, if you wait to take out loans in year two- they will accrue less interest by the time you are done. However, there will be a maximum you can take out per year, so make sure you will have enough if you only take out that maximum in year two. BTW, the interest on grad plus is a bit higher than stafford. If you only take 20k each year, you will get the slightly lower (right now anyway) rate of stafford for the total loan amount. If you take it all out year two, you will have a bit higher interest rate on the grad plus portion, but I think you will still come out ahead interest-wise. I hope that all makes sense.

To the OP- yep it costs a lot. Makes me nervous every time I think about it (I'm a 2nd year). My husband works, so I don't have to borrow all our living expenses, but we will still be approaching $100k by the end. I hope I land a great job!

You can't do Perkins or subsidized for grad school- only unsubsidized stafford, grad plus, or private loans.

Aiviphung- Yes, if you wait to take out loans in year two- they will accrue less interest by the time you are done. However, there will be a maximum you can take out per year, so make sure you will have enough if you only take out that maximum in year two. BTW, the interest on grad plus is a bit higher than stafford. If you only take 20k each year, you will get the slightly lower (right now anyway) rate of stafford for the total loan amount. If you take it all out year two, you will have a bit higher interest rate on the grad plus portion, but I think you will still come out ahead interest-wise. I hope that all makes sense.

To the OP- yep it costs a lot. Makes me nervous every time I think about it (I'm a 2nd year). My husband works, so I don't have to borrow all our living expenses, but we will still be approaching $100k by the end. I hope I land a great job!

Actually, you can get Perkins Loans for grad school but not the subsidized Stafford. The amount you can get is limited and is based off of financial need and whether or not your university offers it. Also the other bad thing about the grad plus loan is that lame 4.288% origination fee.

http://studentaid.ed.gov/types/loans/perkins

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Similar Content

• By ASpano34
      I am currently finishing up my undergraduate coursework and preparing my CASPA application.  I would love to gain some experience by finding a PA to shadow.  I am located in the Palm Beach Gardens area.  Driving outside of my location is possible. I am looking for many opportunities to gain experience in all areas of the PA profession to better understand the field. 
    • By Rylie
      First, I would like to start off by introducing myself. 
      My name is Rylie Yager and I am a junior in my undergrad at Grand Valley State University. I am majoring in Behavioral Neuroscience, minoring in Psychology and Biology with a pre - PA emphasis. 
      Due to the competitiveness when it comes to admissions in to PA programs, I have been attempting to prepare to become the best possible applicant for when I apply to PA programs next summer (2022). It is stressful and beyond overwhelming - especially being that I am the first member of my family to be attending college, let alone grad school. I've had to figure out everything related to college on my own; from scheduling courses to managing everything that comes along with being a college student whom has to finically support themselves simultaneously. Thus far, I feel like I have been keeping up with the punches that this new journey has thrown my way. Now, I am on a new journey to become a PA - which is terrifying but also exciting. Being that I have been working along my education journey on my own, all I know is from research that I have done myself and contacting facility at my university. But I would like to receive more input and advise that could help me - and I am sure many others - on this journey of becoming a PA. Being how competitive it is to be admitted into a PA program, I am doing all that I can think of to become a worthy applicant - and would love advise from others who are on this journey and those who have surpassed it and are willing to give advise on how to get there. 
      I have listed some of the things that I have done/currently doing to help prepare me for my future in a PA program, and as a PA:
      Work Experience:
      Server in a nursing home
      Receptionist in a nursing home
      Medical technician in a nursing home
      Behavioral neuro technician in an inpatient facility
      Mental health technician in a psychiatrics hospital (current)

Education:
      Overall GPA: 3.678
      Coursework:
      Fall 2021
      BIO 328 SWS Biomedical Ethics
      BIO 376 Genetics Laboratory
      CHM 232 Biological Chemistry
      CHM 232 Biological Chemistry Discussion
      CHM 232 Biological Chemistry Lab
      PSY 300S WS Research Methods in Psych
      367 Health Psychology
      Winter 2022
      AHS 100 Medical Terminology
      BMS 212 Introductory Microbiology (RETAKE)
      213 Laboratory in Microbiology (RETAKE)
      PHY 200 Physics for the Life Sciences
      PSY 400 Advanced Research in Psychology

Previous/Completed
      BIO 121 General Biology II with lab
      BIO 355 Human Genetics
      CHM 231 Introductory Organic Chemistry with lab
      PSY 303 Psychopathology 
      PSY 311 SWS Controversial Issues Psych
      PSY 330 Foundations of Behav Neuroscience
      BMS 212 Introductory Microbiology
      BMS 213 Laboratory in Microbiology
      BMS 251 Anatomy and Physiology II with lab
      PSY 324Developmental Psychopathology
      WRT 219 Creative Writing Workshop 
      CHM 230 Intro to Organic and Biochem with lab
      FIT 125 Performance Weight Training
      HST 102 European Civilizations
      PSY 364 Life Span Developmental Psych
      WRT 150Strategies in Writing
      BMS 250Anatomy and Physiology I with lab
      CHM 109 Introductory Chemistry with lab
      PHI 202 Ethics of Health
      SOC 105 Social Problems
      PSY 101 Introduction to Psychology
      BIO 121 General Biology II

Academic achievements: 
      Deans list
      Writing portfolio utilized by writing department for grading scale

Volunteering:
      Crisis Hotline
      Community Food Bank Grand Rapids 

• By Kalebmi20
      Hello PA Forum,
      I am new to the pre-PA path, and I am a bit overwhelmed by the things that need to get done over the next years. I am finishing up my freshman year and have decided that getting into PA school is my goal. After some research I have come to the understanding that I need to have prerequisite courses completed. However, I am very lost on where to start. Some schools require upper level this and lower level that. I dont want to waste any more time then I already have, given that I have been a CS major for my entire first year, so Im very worried about making the wrong choices for next semester. Here is a run down of the classes I've taken as a freshman CS student (I will switch out to another major). Keep in mind I have not taken introductory English courses because of AP college credit. 

1st Sem:
      Bio 101, CPSC 120, POSC 100, Pre-Calculus
      2nd Sem: 
      Geology 101, CPSC 121, Calculus I, HCOM 100

What should I take this summer or in the fall? I would greatly appreciate some guidance. Registration is in a few weeks and I do not have too much time to make a decision on my fall classes. I was thinking of taking a more challenging course over the summer so I could focus on it by itself, and maybe take psychology next semester, but I feel like im missing something like chemistry or anatomy.
    • By FuturePAHopefully
      Hello Pre-PA Community!
      I want to start off by thanking this forum for the tremendous help and wealth of information provided for my own Pre-PA journey & want to give back to the community. A little bit about myself, I was a low GPA/PCE Applicant who was able to research admission strategies that landed me an acceptance to the #1 Physician Assistant Program in the United States - Duke University. Working as a tutor & academic coach for over 5 years, I value and appreciate those who invest in their future goals and want to help them along their journey.
      After spending several months researching how to get into PA School on the first try, I am proud to announce I have developed a strategy that allows one to emphasize their strengths and be accepted to their top-choice schools! My Interview Rate for all my applications were 80%, and my Acceptance Rate after the Interview was 90% through implementing pre & post interview strategies that increase memorability and subsequent acceptance. While I was looking for affordable Pre-PA services such as Mock Interviews or Personal Statement Review - I found them to be VERY expensive. While working a low pay PCE job, I found it difficult to afford these essential services. I want to give back to students at an affordable price to help save money for applications (an already expensive ordeal). I have created my own Physician Assistant Mentorship Service where I will be providing the MOST AFFORDABLE services available to motivated and driven students.
      Please visit pathtopa.youcanbook.me to schedule any one of the services offered. These services are especially useful if you are seeking guidance to joining this amazing profession (non-traditional students) or you are a driven first time applicant who wants to an acceptance their first cycle. Additionally, with EVERY SERVICE I provide a One on One Zoom Call to ensure that my advice is 100% tailored to your needs.
      Please feel free to ask about any of my services or about myself! I have just opened up my availability for February so check it out & share with family and friends.

• By Andrea1020
      So I recently found a job that would work well with my schedule as a CNA covid tester. It entails testing patients and going through screening questions with patients then reporting results to the supervisor.  I am a little worried because I don’t really want to go for the job if it isn’t considered PCE. Has anyone have any info on whether or not this is PCE or HCE?

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More