Hey Folks,

Recent graduate received job offer with Ortho/Trauma.  I will perform hospital round, first assist & clinic.

Training Period Base Pay: 46,000

Base Pay: 92,000 [based on 50 hr work week], range of 50-55hrs

CME: $2000, 5days

PTO: 15 vacation Days, 4 Personal

7 Holidays off

Call:  1/7 Days.  Weekend Call 1/8 weekends.  No add'l pay

Bonus consideration: after 1 year

Thoughts?

I may be off target here, but say you do work 55hr/week at a base of 92k. So say for 50 weeks 2750 hrs. 92,000/2750 = 33/hr? If they're big on teaching, and the doc is good to work with, I could see this being a good short term "foot in the door" so to speak.

And before EMEDPA can get to it, any medical/dental for family?

looks good on the surface as that 90k is attractive,

digging deeper this is a pretty bad/low ball offer

the 50-55 hours a week means you can not per diem anywhere else (to tired) - this costs you 10-15k per year (and you just gave away 10 hours a week)

the vacation should total 4 weeks vacation, 10 vacation days, 5 CME and 10 days Sick/personal - they are working you to death and need to give you time off

The call schedule needs to be compensated - the doc's get paid for it and so should you

And that whole - "46k when we train you...."   - NOT!  take a vacation and go somewhere while you get credentialed and then start the day you are licensed and credentialed and start at the 90k.......  Heck even residencies are paying about 65k!

just say no thank you

I may be off target here, but say you do work 55hr/week at a base of 92k. So say for 50 weeks 2750 hrs. 92,000/2750 = 33/hr? If they're big on teaching, and the doc is good to work with, I could see this being a good short term "foot in the door" so to speak.

And before EMEDPA can get to it, any medical/dental for family?

Thanks for the input.  Yea, the 33/hr doesn't sound so hot but they are looking to put in the extra time to train and retain.   Checked the AAPA 2013 reports which state 85k/year for <1 year experience is the norm locally.  They do cover for family for which I'll be paying out of pocket but not too bad. Also, fiance is a teacher and gets GREAT health coverage for when we start a family.

looks good on the surface as that 90k is attractive,

digging deeper this is a pretty bad/low ball offer

the 50-55 hours a week means you can not per diem anywhere else (to tired) - this costs you 10-15k per year (and you just gave away 10 hours a week)

the vacation should total 4 weeks vacation, 10 vacation days, 5 CME and 10 days Sick/personal - they are working you to death and need to give you time off

The call schedule needs to be compensated - the doc's get paid for it and so should you

And that whole - "46k when we train you...."   - NOT!  take a vacation and go somewhere while you get credentialed and then start the day you are licensed and credentialed and start at the 90k.......  Heck even residencies are paying about 65k!

just say no thank you

Will definitely negotiate for more vacation/sick time.  Not being able to work Urgent Care per diem really does hurt, as I'd like to keep my "generalist" skill set up.

Not too keen on the idea of this low ball training period pay so will probably fore-go this.  Any idea of what's appropriate compensation for taking call?

Seems 55+ hr/week is the standard with surgery.

Hey Folks,

Recent graduate received job offer with Ortho/Trauma.  I will perform hospital round, first assist & clinic.

Training Period Base Pay: 46,000

Base Pay: 92,000 [based on 50 hr work week], range of 50-55hrs

CME: $2000, 5days

PTO: 15 vacation Days, 4 Personal

7 Holidays off

Call:  1/7 Days.  Weekend Call 1/8 weekends.  No add'l pay

Bonus consideration: after 1 year

Thoughts?

Again, I think its very important to calculate your hourly pay. Also, call should never be uncompensated (esp for a PA). You can work those hours and do urgent care or ER (without any call) making $40-45hr as a new grad and make ~120k to start. Something to consider.

• 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By vjaniceb
      Hi there, my name is Vanessa and I just graduated with my bachelor's in February. I am looking to pursue into a PA program but not quite sure where to start. I am currently studying for the GRE and have about 250 internship hours done at an ENT clinic with an audiologist. I'm not sure in what I am doing and need any guidance or suggestion in what to do. 
    • By pahopeful46
      Hello!
      I was just offered a job as a new grad in psych at a private practice outpatient clinic in the Houston, Tx area. My hours would be 9-6 or (10-6 with no lunch break) Tuesday - Friday and a possible Saturday shift from 9-1 which I am clarifying now as to if this is set in stone or not since it was unclear. They told me I would be shadowing the first two weeks and then after that I will slowly see my own patients while consulting with the doc after each patient. They currently have one NP who they hired as a new grad and trained.
      Salary: I told them I was looking for 100k since that is the average for a new grad in Texas and they offered me this breakdown: 92k for years 1-2, 102k for years 3-4, and 113k for years 5-6. Then, a bonus set up like this: starting at 6 months, a quarterly bonus at 65% patient occupancy is a 1k bonus quarterly, at 75% patient occupancy a 1750 bonus quarterly and at 90% occupancy and greater a 3k bonus quarterly. The bonus seems okay but I have no idea how to gauge this since idk if I will even be hitting these numbers as a new grad. They told me the NP currently sees follow ups in 15 min slots or 4 an hour with a break after to chart and that new pt visits are 1 hour. They told me my follow ups would be set for 30 minutes instead of 15 since I am new.
      CME: 1500
      PTO: 7 days first year (this seems very low to me and was also not broken down into CME or sick days so now I have no idea if I even get CME days so that will be in my email back with questions)
      Malpractice coverage and 401k with 5% match effective after first year. It was also unclear if the 401k is not effective at ALL until the first year or if just the matching so I will be asking this as well. Need to ask if this includes tail coverage?
      Overall, I am happy to have a job offer but wondering if this is a good one. I would like to counter with a base salary of 96-97 possibly since a 1k bonus for three quarters in my first year would put me at the average new grad salary in Texas of 100k. Does this seem unreasonable? I also really don't like how the salary is already structured for the next 6 years and how I do not get a yearly raise to match inflation even. Is this common? What do you all think I should include in my counter? Overall, is this a good offer and would you take it as a new grad? Is it a bad idea for me to counter? Please help!! Thank you!
      Edit to add: they do not offer health insurance if this makes a difference. Thank you!
    • By CPPAC
      I'm a PA who's been working in Oklahoma doing general surgery and urology at the same hospital since I graduated in May 2018. I have two concerns:
      1) I finished a 1-year contract and resigned for a 3-year contract which bases my annual bonus off of RVUs (very low 1520). I recently finished the first year of this contract and I've been told the hospital doesn't know how many RVUs I've accumulated because they don't know how to calculate my RVUs from surgery. Apparently, they have always had this issue with RVU calculations for PAs (there is only one other PA working in ortho at this hospital) and they've been "working to figure it out" , but I've been asking for my productivity for about two years and have yet to get ANYTHING useful. In fact, I have been stood-up twice by the clinic manager for scheduled meetings to discuss productivity.
      2) As I mentioned, recently finished off the first year of that contract. I requested an annual review and the clinic manager completely ignored that portion of my email. Seems completely unprofessional to not perform reviews. Convinced my first job at a bowling alley was more professional than this.

Wondering if this kind of thing is normal or just a lazy clinic manager...and maybe any legal advice regarding them giving me a contract with a metric that they have admitted they don't know how to measure. Thanks in advance.
    • By soccerfanatic14
      Hello,
      I'm a new grad PA (started the program right out of high school) who just received a job offer for a hospitalist position with the details here:
      40 hour week. Five 8 hr shifts a week. Overnight from Sun- Thurs 11pm-7am.   $85,000 base pay $15,000 for overnight annual bonus. Would be taken away if I switched to days.   4 weeks PTO 1 sick week 1 week CME and $1500 Paid DEA liscense.  

I'm curious if I should ask for more base pay.  Any opinions?  Thanks! 
    • By Kslight66
      Hello,

I am looking for advice on salary for a Pa-C position in charge on a 16 bed Detox wing. I would be responsible for supervising a nurse and a CNA. Also, I would have to work some weekend, nights and some holidays.
      1. What would be a good salary range for this dual medical / management role? 

2. The job only provides 16 days of ( lumping it all together) PTO, sick and national holiday and CME days off.  Should I ask for a higher compensation for this limited vacation package? 

thank you in advance! 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More