Hey Folks,

Recent graduate received job offer with Ortho/Trauma.  I will perform hospital round, first assist & clinic.

Training Period Base Pay: 46,000

Base Pay: 92,000 [based on 50 hr work week], range of 50-55hrs

CME: $2000, 5days

PTO: 15 vacation Days, 4 Personal

7 Holidays off

Call:  1/7 Days.  Weekend Call 1/8 weekends.  No add'l pay

Bonus consideration: after 1 year

Thoughts?

I may be off target here, but say you do work 55hr/week at a base of 92k. So say for 50 weeks 2750 hrs. 92,000/2750 = 33/hr? If they're big on teaching, and the doc is good to work with, I could see this being a good short term "foot in the door" so to speak.

And before EMEDPA can get to it, any medical/dental for family?

looks good on the surface as that 90k is attractive,

digging deeper this is a pretty bad/low ball offer

the 50-55 hours a week means you can not per diem anywhere else (to tired) - this costs you 10-15k per year (and you just gave away 10 hours a week)

the vacation should total 4 weeks vacation, 10 vacation days, 5 CME and 10 days Sick/personal - they are working you to death and need to give you time off

The call schedule needs to be compensated - the doc's get paid for it and so should you

And that whole - "46k when we train you...."   - NOT!  take a vacation and go somewhere while you get credentialed and then start the day you are licensed and credentialed and start at the 90k.......  Heck even residencies are paying about 65k!

just say no thank you

I may be off target here, but say you do work 55hr/week at a base of 92k. So say for 50 weeks 2750 hrs. 92,000/2750 = 33/hr? If they're big on teaching, and the doc is good to work with, I could see this being a good short term "foot in the door" so to speak.

And before EMEDPA can get to it, any medical/dental for family?

Thanks for the input.  Yea, the 33/hr doesn't sound so hot but they are looking to put in the extra time to train and retain.   Checked the AAPA 2013 reports which state 85k/year for <1 year experience is the norm locally.  They do cover for family for which I'll be paying out of pocket but not too bad. Also, fiance is a teacher and gets GREAT health coverage for when we start a family.

looks good on the surface as that 90k is attractive,

digging deeper this is a pretty bad/low ball offer

the 50-55 hours a week means you can not per diem anywhere else (to tired) - this costs you 10-15k per year (and you just gave away 10 hours a week)

the vacation should total 4 weeks vacation, 10 vacation days, 5 CME and 10 days Sick/personal - they are working you to death and need to give you time off

The call schedule needs to be compensated - the doc's get paid for it and so should you

And that whole - "46k when we train you...."   - NOT!  take a vacation and go somewhere while you get credentialed and then start the day you are licensed and credentialed and start at the 90k.......  Heck even residencies are paying about 65k!

just say no thank you

Will definitely negotiate for more vacation/sick time.  Not being able to work Urgent Care per diem really does hurt, as I'd like to keep my "generalist" skill set up.

Not too keen on the idea of this low ball training period pay so will probably fore-go this.  Any idea of what's appropriate compensation for taking call?

Seems 55+ hr/week is the standard with surgery.

Hey Folks,

Recent graduate received job offer with Ortho/Trauma.  I will perform hospital round, first assist & clinic.

Training Period Base Pay: 46,000

Base Pay: 92,000 [based on 50 hr work week], range of 50-55hrs

CME: $2000, 5days

PTO: 15 vacation Days, 4 Personal

7 Holidays off

Call:  1/7 Days.  Weekend Call 1/8 weekends.  No add'l pay

Bonus consideration: after 1 year

Thoughts?

Again, I think its very important to calculate your hourly pay. Also, call should never be uncompensated (esp for a PA). You can work those hours and do urgent care or ER (without any call) making $40-45hr as a new grad and make ~120k to start. Something to consider.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived