I made the mistake of specializing too soon, now what?!

I couldn't resist it.  Right out of school, I was offered a great salary at a job I already knew.  I went to work at the clinic I had worked at as a medical assistant before PA school where we did abortions and birth control.  I got paid very well for it and did only that for 10 years.  Now, I left because I had 2 kids and don't want the long commute anymore.  How can I broaden my horizons now?  I would be happy in virtually any other field -- primary care, derm, peds, urgent care, ortho, etc.

I'm due to take PANRE in 2014 or 2015.  So, I'm thinking I'll take some time to study hard for it to hopefully not just pass, but do well, so that I can show the category breakdown to potential employers and at least prove that I am book smart.  Also thinking of taking another Spanish class to be able to add that as a job skill to make myself more marketable.

Any other ideas?

you certainly have skills that translate to working in an obgyn practice. if you do well on panre you should be ok for an entry level position in primary care as well. there is always the option of completing switching paths and doing a residency in your desired specialty of choice....www.appap.org

Considering op seems to already know she won't get a similar job closer and maybe even wants to do something else, your comment adds nothing.

As to answer the original question. You were a PA for ten years already... you have lots of experience in medicine and treating patients. Primary care would work in that regard. What you need to bring to the table is knowledge of the most recent primary care guidelines (diabetes, htn, lipids, etc). You just need to find a place that appreciates your past and is willing to get you comfortable in the new position.

I suggest the mods close this thread as nothing productive or helpful to the OP has been posted here in several days, and JohnnyM2 seems to want to stir things up. He knows perfectly well what he posted (deleted post #2) that was inappropriate. I refuse to be drawn into it any further.

• Upvote 1
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Similar Content

• By Gilyprepa
      Hey everyone, there are still tickets available for those who are interested in the Loma Linda PA program. We have changed our event from zoom to being ON CAMPUS. There will be prizes raffled off. Due to some restrictions still being in place, the tickets that are being sold will only allow one person per ticket. More info on the flyer and event bright website. Thank you so much! Hope to see you there. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/llus-3rd-annual-pre-pa-conference-tickets-145958073527
      prePA conference final draft flyer On CAMPUS.pdf
    • By ChristianPrePA
      Hey guys, so I'm currently in my undergraduate year (senior soon), and applying to PA school next month.
      Currently debt-free as an undergraduate from going to community college, becoming a PTA and working during college.
      I've stayed debt-free by cutting my expenses (budgeting), applying for scholarships constantly (1/week - at least I try 😬), and keeping my grades up (academic scholarships).
      I plan to graduate PA school debt-free through similar scholarships (NHSC, PA Foundation, Catalyst), but of course, all depends on actually receiving the scholarships or not.
      Do any PA/PA students have any tips/advice on how they got through PA school if they graduated without or low debt, or know someone who did it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
      My YouTube video with my experiencing going through undergraduate debt-free and how I plan to go through PA school debt-free is on my channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYwrlY9xzcLxTfkqDr1SYIQ
    • By FloresPA
      Hello, 

I recently had the honor to be accepted into a PA program that is 140K. Although I am excited to start this new journey, I am concerned about the financial responsibilities that it brings. The tuition is quite high and it seems to get higher every year. My question is, at an average, how much debt do students typically end up with based strictly on tuition. 
      Thanks in advance! 
    • By LOLfPAschool
      So my particular PA school uses the PACKRAT to determine if students are ready to take the PANCE or not at the end of clinical year (this is new and never counted like this before). This year's most recent PACKRAT version national average is apparently a 167, 20 points higher than the last 3 averages on PAEA's website and 40 points higher than last years national average of 128 (according to my PA school). They have informed us that if we do not get within the 2 point standard deviation, they will not allow us to take the PANCE until we reach an adequate grade on the PACKRAT. Can they legally do this?
      According to PAEA, the PACRAT can be done open book so these scores are skewed and shouldn't count for my class.
      There is nothing in our program handbook about the PACKRAT being a requirement for graduation.
      PLEASE HELP!!
    • By Chasendreams
      Hello, I am Chase Bernardy, a current 3rd Year at CSUSB - Cal State San Bernardino as Kinesiology Allied Health Major with a minor in Biology and overall GPA of 3.7. I am in desperate need to shadow in order to graduate on time. I work as an EMT and Phlebotomist, and am taking more medical classes this summer. Any help would be appreciated, I understand the difficulty with COVID, but I am not afraid of the task. Have a good day!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More