Sign in to follow this  

I made the mistake of specializing too soon, now what?!

I couldn't resist it.  Right out of school, I was offered a great salary at a job I already knew.  I went to work at the clinic I had worked at as a medical assistant before PA school where we did abortions and birth control.  I got paid very well for it and did only that for 10 years.  Now, I left because I had 2 kids and don't want the long commute anymore.  How can I broaden my horizons now?  I would be happy in virtually any other field -- primary care, derm, peds, urgent care, ortho, etc.

I'm due to take PANRE in 2014 or 2015.  So, I'm thinking I'll take some time to study hard for it to hopefully not just pass, but do well, so that I can show the category breakdown to potential employers and at least prove that I am book smart.  Also thinking of taking another Spanish class to be able to add that as a job skill to make myself more marketable.

Any other ideas?

you certainly have skills that translate to working in an obgyn practice. if you do well on panre you should be ok for an entry level position in primary care as well. there is always the option of completing switching paths and doing a residency in your desired specialty of choice....www.appap.org

Considering op seems to already know she won't get a similar job closer and maybe even wants to do something else, your comment adds nothing.

As to answer the original question. You were a PA for ten years already... you have lots of experience in medicine and treating patients. Primary care would work in that regard. What you need to bring to the table is knowledge of the most recent primary care guidelines (diabetes, htn, lipids, etc). You just need to find a place that appreciates your past and is willing to get you comfortable in the new position.

The jobs available in my area are in ortho, immediate care, ER, inpatient, etc. They want someone with experience in their field. Yes, I did leave a job with no other prospects to do what was best for my family.

• Upvote 1

I suggest the mods close this thread as nothing productive or helpful to the OP has been posted here in several days, and JohnnyM2 seems to want to stir things up. He knows perfectly well what he posted (deleted post #2) that was inappropriate. I refuse to be drawn into it any further.

• Upvote 1

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By chaerui
      Hello! I'm currently taking ochem (the second ochem class to complete the ochem unit requirements for some pa programs) but I'm not taking the lab. Would the lab be needed to complete the unit requirement even though my ochem units would suffice? there's literally one school I am going to apply to that says preferred requirement for ochem or biochem preferred with lab but I am not taking lab because of the course load. Would it detrimental if i dont take lab at all? as long as im taking the ochem classes..? 
      another thing, some schools require spanish but i took 4 years of spanish in high school (including the AP examination): is this acceptable?
    • By AhmedRehman
      Hi my name is Ahmed Rehman and Im a college student that attends Suffolk Community College. Im here to ask if there is any Physician Assistants around my area that are willing to allow me to shadow them. I was really interested in this career path since at a young age and I would love to shadow during the summer. I live around in East Patchogue and Brookhaven. Thank you.
    • By morishka89
      The following forum is descriptive and informational.I want to include that debt settlement also explained as the debt arbitration or negotiation  is an approach to debt reduction in which the debtor and creditor agree on a reduced balance that will be regarded as payment in full.Not only accounting
      but if any sort of help or assistance is required for the accounting support,debt,bankruptcy consult with the most reliable debt management solutions
      They are helping out the clients and enterprise across the globe with 100% assistance for more than a decade.
    • By lynn1862
      Hey guys! I'm 24 and have recently been accepted into a PA program, but I keep having second thoughts.
      My whole life I have been interested in medicine and health care. However, I am also a more quiet/introverted/awkward person and deal with social anxiety at times. For patient care hours this past year I became a phlebotomist. Although I loved learning about blood drawing and enjoyed the hands on aspect of it, the actual job itself was very draining for me. I worked at a very busy lab that saw over a 100 patients a day. Having to interact with so many patients left me feeling exhausted once I clocked out. I guess sometimes I wonder if I am making the right choice for myself career wise.
      I have shadowed many PAs and enjoyed those experiences, but I know shadowing and actually doing it are two different things. I also shadowed a Pathology Assistant, thinking that may be a better fit for me, but found it slightly repetitive and actually a little too isolating. 
      I was wondering if anyone else had similar worries once upon a time? If there are specialties more geared towards introvert/quiet people? Or ones that see a lower volume of patients? Or maybe this isn't the best path for me? 
    • By milery
      Hello, I graduated last year with a 2.6 GPA and my science GPA is 2.4. I have two D's, I am retaking one of those two D at a community college ( organic chemistry) the other D is in ecology in which I may not retake tbh because I didn't enjoyed the class. I registered for organic chemistry 2 to help my Sgpa but my dilemma is this.... my financial situation is starting to stress me out. I cant afford to take hard core science classes ( like I originally planned) in a degree that doesn't lead to a guaranteed career (biotechnology). so I thought of either medical laboratory technician or lpn.  I thought of these because #1 cheaper and faster option, #2 mlt has always sparked my interest and #3 I'm a cna ( almost 4 years) and I work closely with a lpn.  the lpn option I'm looking at is a certificate option because is only one year. my whole goal in this is to help my GPA and also have a career. I don't mind continuing to build my PA  application after this but I wanna make sure if doing any of these route will help me and not become a waste of time. 
      if you guys have any other suggestions please let me know. the biotechnology degree I can finish it in a year but what if after that I'm still not a strong applicant? then I'm stuck with another degree... no career 
      I don't care how long it takes to become a PA! I'm 24 years old and I already have a lot of financial baggage. I want to make a smart decision  

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More