DOT physicals

What do you charge as an office visit to complete a DOT exam..... Currently we charge $75 which is consistent with a self-pay visit,but I'm considering increasing the charge.....

Also if not certifying the drive do you consider refunding any portion of OV fee to keep patient "happy".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you charge separately for the drug screen?  Do you perform them in house or send out to be reviewed by a MRO?  Ours were sent out to an outside lab and if positive, the MRO contacted the individual leaving us out of the equation other than to tell us of the positive result.  I'm no longer in a position to be doing them but I personally wouldn't offer a credit for service rendered.  This is the idea behind using a totally objective examiner (preferably not the PCP for the driver).

OK, this brings up a common question that I've heard asked at DOT seminars in years past. Do you require the individual to demonstrate in office a normal BP or do you accept other provider data? Since I was signing card they had to demonstrate normal for me regardless of what they/others documented.

Totally agree with the last sentence.

From:  https://nrcme.fmcsa.dot.gov/mehandbook/hypertension4_ep.aspx "NOTE: Under the supervision of the medical examiner, trained assistive personnel may measure and record the BP; however, it is prudent for the medical examiner to confirm disqualifying BP personally."  

Per FMCSA Regulation, the examination is based on the subjective data presented by the patient and your own objective data and/or other test results.  I know the sentence above does not directly answer your question but the bottom line is that it will be your signature on the bottom of those forms, not the other provider's signature.  

Had an employee whom I had known personally that at the time of their prior DOT exam had seen another provider and received clearance. Problem was the individual had been cleared following placement of an AICD. Auto disqualification. He knew it, and also knew it was going to cost him his job, which it did. He was very professional about it and it killed me personally. Unfortunately, as told to many of my former fellow co-workers for whom I would perform this exam, the exam is not done for their personal benefit. The exam is done to protect the general public from them, if indicated.

Archived