The University i want to attend offers a pre-PA program and i was wondering if it's in my interest to go ahead and go to the 4 year school or attend community college and become an EMT to earn extra money and save up!?

The University i want to attend offers a pre-PA program and i was wondering if it's in my interest to go ahead and go to the 4 year school or attend community college and become an EMT to earn extra money and save up!?

Maybe you could explain your dilemma a bit more, and what attracts you to this particular pre-PA program.

Just FYI... you won't earn much as an EMT at all, and EMT jobs can be very difficult to come by. But it is good training and can help you gain some awesome experience to help prepare you for PA school and make you a competitive applicant. That's what I did.

I'm a bit confused. Maybe you could explain your dilemma a bit more.

Just FYI... you won't earn much as an EMT at all, and EMT jobs can be very difficult to come by. But it is good training and can help you gain some awesome experience to help prepare you for PA school and make you a competitive applicant. That's what I did.

Well some people have told me its more difficult to do a pre-professional program if you transfer when you're trying to finish the last 2 years. EMT does sound great to gain some experience. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Codes
      Hi,
      I was fortunate to shadow one PA who was amazing, it was family medicine in a clinic 9-5 type of gig. She was very nice and transparent. In all honesty, there were parts of the job I did not feel were all that great for example, majority of the patient experience was amazing.
      Things that I wasn't sure about:
      Seemed like a good amount of computer work between patient's - one of the reason's I am pre-PA is to try to not be locked to a computer so much. The area was rough and there were some homeless patient's etc. so that was sort of eye opening and I noticed to be an effective PA you need to truly touch and be very close to all types of people. In particular the homeless person with an infected hand and the woman coughing all over everything was something I was a little taken back with initially. Overall, I loved the patient interactions and feel if I were the actual PA it would be that much more fun to troubleshoot and problem solve. I have another shadow opportunity in a completely different specialization (neurology) which I am very excited about. My main questions were:
      Did you know right away after Shadowing, PA was the right fit for you? 100%? Or did it take a few settings and time to find out where you envisioned your dream specialization. Is it realistic to think I could eventually become a PA and get away from more of the 9-5 office setting? Something more fast paced and maybe shift work? I believe the area where the clinic was located (in the ghetto) and demographic sort of played into the experience, is that a tale tell sign I could be wrong for the profession? Please be as honest as possible as I am considering a career shift and I can handle the truth. I am trying to approach the situation as realistic as possible but there are still many "blind spots" as I have only shadowed one PA thus far.
      Thank you very much in advance!!
    • By lynn1862
      Hey guys! I'm 24 and have recently been accepted into a PA program, but I keep having second thoughts.
      My whole life I have been interested in medicine and health care. However, I am also a more quiet/introverted/awkward person and deal with social anxiety at times. For patient care hours this past year I became a phlebotomist. Although I loved learning about blood drawing and enjoyed the hands on aspect of it, the actual job itself was very draining for me. I worked at a very busy lab that saw over a 100 patients a day. Having to interact with so many patients left me feeling exhausted once I clocked out. I guess sometimes I wonder if I am making the right choice for myself career wise.
      I have shadowed many PAs and enjoyed those experiences, but I know shadowing and actually doing it are two different things. I also shadowed a Pathology Assistant, thinking that may be a better fit for me, but found it slightly repetitive and actually a little too isolating. 
      I was wondering if anyone else had similar worries once upon a time? If there are specialties more geared towards introvert/quiet people? Or ones that see a lower volume of patients? Or maybe this isn't the best path for me? 
    • By gutsybook
      Is the Northeast Pre-PA Conference legitimate? If it is, could anyone verify if it's safe to pay through the following eventbrite link:
      https://www.eventbrite.com/e/second-annual-northeast-pre-physician-assistant-conference-tickets-66535863559?aff=erelexpmlt

I'm honestly just clueless about conferences in general. This would be my first Pre-PA conference and I want to make sure it's a reputable conference and that it is safe to purchase tickets through the above link. If there is an actual event elsewhere, please inform me!
      Thank you all in advance!
    • By chandlerjonesuga
      Hey, I'm just rolling through to see if I can help expand your studying database.  Check out this post of various resources you can utilize to help you ACE the EOR exams, and eventually the PANCE!!!  I hope this helps... The final link is to my personal study guides, yes I know I do the most!
      https://randomjournalposts.blogspot.com/2020/02/how-to-study-in-pa-school.html
    • By chandlerjonesuga
      Hey, I'm just rolling through to see if I can help expand your studying database.  Check out this post of various resources you can utilize to help you ACE the EOR exams, and eventually the PANCE!!!  I hope this helps... The final link is to my personal study guides, yes I know I do the most!
      https://randomjournalposts.blogspot.com/2020/02/how-to-study-in-pa-school.html

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More