Primary Care,need advice

Hello all,

I am a new grad I have been offered two positions and can not make mind and was wondering if anyone with experience can help me decide:

1) Family medicine practice, full time, $43/hrs, 8-5 M-F,on-call for entire week every 6 weeks.Benefit package includes medical& dental insurance, $1000 CME and 10 days vacation, 10 days sick (all after 11 months working), pays for DEA, future licence renewal, no time off for CME just money,Very busy clinic.Room for salary increase in 6 months, currently pays $55/hr to experienced PA

2)Primary care clinic, full time, $38/hr,8-5 M-F, no calls, no weekends, Benefit includes medical and dental, 403 retirement, $1000 CME with one week off, 12 days vacation, 12 days sick, DO NOT pay for DEA or licence renewal, not as busy as the other clinic. qualified for loan repayment plan for $50000 for 2 years service.They promised for 10-15% salary increase in few months. 

I can not make my mind, the second place is where my heart is because it is underserved community, and I did my rotation there however the salary is lower than the first one and I don"t think there is a lot of room for increase.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestion.

Best.

go with #2. you get loan repayment and are doing what you want to do and no call....loan repayment is huge...think of it as salary when you compare the positions....an extra 25k/yr is basically an extra 12.50/hr you won't be paying back in loans...no brainer really.

• Administrator

Call every six weeks.... let's see, at 10K per year difference for 9 weeks, that's about $1,100 to NOT be on call for a week.  If call is 29 hours aditional work per 7 days, you're breaking even. Any more than that, and your higher paying job ends up COSTING you money.  Well, time, really, but time is money...

Call every six weeks.... let's see, at 10K per year difference for 9 weeks, that's about $1,100 to NOT be on call for a week. If call is 29 hours aditional work per 7 days, you're breaking even. Any more than that, and your higher paying job ends up COSTING you money. Well, time, really, but time is money...

Good point but would depend how bad "call" is and what it entails. I take call q 6weeks for a weekend and its usually rns calling from snfs needing orders and lab panic values. Hardly earth shattering. But for a PC job, 55/hr is not bad.

For a new grad option 1 is not very good from that aspect. But for someone with 3-5 yrs experoence, 110k is good for PC.

I just think everyone shys away automatically from the C word when job hunting and sometimes it does suck. My first job I was on call 24/7. Pay was crazy for a new grad though but I wouldn't do that type of call again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Job # 1 seem to contained lots of details and promises. Devil somewhere in the details. Any job that offers high salary or hourly rate, I would approach it cautiously. I guarantee you that somewhere along the line you'll be screwed! Job #2 seem they've nothing to hide. This is it and our best offer. Our mission is first. We're not here for the money. We serve the needy, the most vulnerable population & are rewarded via LRP. Take it or we would offer the next PA candidate. Voting #2 for the second time. 0.02c

Tell job # 2 that they need to get closer to the job #1 salary and you will take it....

Unpaid call time and unpad CME time shows their true colors.........  they are going to use you and unlikely to respect in the long run....

the only time you can get more $$$ is before you are hired so play hard ball (gently and professionally)

I would have a tough time saying a 5 day work week, (you will work though you lunch break!) for 45 hours is worth only $80k in the long run...

as a new grad through that is pretty decent and with loan repayment it is a no brainer

Job #2 only if you'll get the loan repayment. Because if not 38$ is crap. You shouldn't accept anything lower than $45/hr in my opinion..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45/hr for a new grad in primary care? good luck with that. that's $86,400 for a 40 hr week. not too many new grad jobs pay that in primary care. em/surgery/ortho/derm, sure but I would say it is a pretty good offer for a new grad who will get training and has the promise of a raise within a year to at least 42/hr.

It's regional. My EM staffing group starts new grad PAs and NPs at $50/hr. I had to fight for $58/hr with more than a decade of experience. My previous EM group paid $40/hr and is a new grad mill...they learn a lot and then move on to higher pay. Too bad though because that group had awesome benefits and profit-sharing...my current group is contract only. I'm per diem so no benefits other than malpractice.

As for outpatient, though, even experienced PAs around here have to fight for more than $45/hr or salary equivalent.

Guest Paula

I started out at $36/hr back in 2004 at one job and $45/hr at my second job.  I was new grad and the jobs were FP and UC/ER.  I also got a loan payback from the state for 75% of my loan.  The clinic was FQHC and the UC/ER job was at a critical access hospital. 

$38/hr is way to low to start out as primary care in my opinion.  Set the bar high as what you start with will handicap you if you stay at the job#2 after loan payback is done.  That low salary will make it hard to get to the $45-50 range when you renew your contract.

I started out at $36/hr back in 2004 at one job and $45/hr at my second job.  I was new grad and the jobs were FP and UC/ER.  I also got a loan payback from the state for 75% of my loan.  The clinic was FQHC and the UC/ER job was at a critical access hospital. 

$38/hr is way to low to start out as primary care in my opinion.  Set the bar high as what you start with will handicap you if you stay at the job#2 after loan payback is done.  That low salary will make it hard to get to the $45-50 range when you renew your contract.

they have already offered a 10-15% raise in a few months. that's 42 dollars/hr + the loan repayment and excellent training. That's not a bad deal for a new grad in primary care. this person would likely be at 45/hr within a yr or 2 with all of their loans payed off.

Guest Paula

^^^^^^ 10-15% raise is ok but I would definitely get it in writing and in the contract.  I still say $79,040 a year ($38/hr) is a low salary in primary care.  PC is the hardest specialty to be in because of the broad base of knowledge needed.  

Archived