Mercer Class of 2014

Hey Spatel88,

The quickest way I got my hours and certification was by challenging the CNA exam and obtaining my license. You can go to http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/cna/cna-updates.html and get some more information. But of course this is Florida you may want to look at your state's information if you are not in FL. I challenged the exam and within maximum 2 months I got licensed for about 1/4 of the cost. Many schools over price to take classes to pass that CNA test but it is very easy especially if you have just a crumb of knowledge of the medical field. The only difficult part was the clinical portion of the test. I honestly studied with Youtube videos. I youtubed all the clinical portions they said were going to be tested. I practiced at home with my boyfriend (changing a bed with a patient in it) all sorts of stuff. That way I believe was the cheapest way. Having worked in a hospital before I had the opportunity to work closely with RNs and was able to ask them to show me something I didn't understand. If you have that opportunity I would take advantage of that. If you have any questions concerning that let me know. I'm more than welcome to help. Let me know how it goes.

This is actually probably a more helpful site: http://www.prometric.com/Florida/default.htm

Click on "CNA certification exam" and once the new screen comes up scroll to the bottom and click on :NEW! Nurse Aide Certification Practice test 50 multiple-choice questions with answer key

there is also a clinical skills checklist of everything that may get tested. Very good help!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Spatel88,

The quickest way I got my hours and certification was by challenging the CNA exam and obtaining my license. You can go to http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/cna/cna-updates.html and get some more information. But of course this is Florida you may want to look at your state's information if you are not in FL. I challenged the exam and within maximum 2 months I got licensed for about 1/4 of the cost. Many schools over price to take classes to pass that CNA test but it is very easy especially if you have just a crumb of knowledge of the medical field. The only difficult part was the clinical portion of the test. I honestly studied with Youtube videos. I youtubed all the clinical portions they said were going to be tested. I practiced at home with my boyfriend (changing a bed with a patient in it) all sorts of stuff. That way I believe was the cheapest way. Having worked in a hospital before I had the opportunity to work closely with RNs and was able to ask them to show me something I didn't understand. If you have that opportunity I would take advantage of that. If you have any questions concerning that let me know. I'm more than welcome to help. Let me know how it goes.

This is actually probably a more helpful site: http://www.prometric.com/Florida/default.htm

Click on "CNA certification exam" and once the new screen comes up scroll to the bottom and click on :NEW! Nurse Aide Certification Practice test 50 multiple-choice questions with answer key

there is also a clinical skills checklist of everything that may get tested. Very good help!

Jordana and Emily work in the same office so contacting either of them is good. Their students do work on cadavers, I believe. They share them with the PT students so I do not think they spend too much time on them... but they are available. Maybe a current student would have more info on this. At my interview, they were talking about doing rotations abroad but they did not have firm plans for it yet. A girl in my interview group was really interested and they said that they would work with her if she really wanted it...

Jordana and Emily work in the same office so contacting either of them is good. Their students do work on cadavers, I believe. They share them with the PT students so I do not think they spend too much time on them... but they are available. Maybe a current student would have more info on this. At my interview, they were talking about doing rotations abroad but they did not have firm plans for it yet. A girl in my interview group was really interested and they said that they would work with her if she really wanted it...

Thank You Devon. I'm getting so antsy now. I look at my GRE books feeling like its not normal that I'm not carrying them with me...lol. So pitiful....lol! Anyways. Thank you for the information. I would be ecstatic about doing rotations abroad. I look forward to an interview to talk about this. I've been calling the office no answer for couple days. I will keep trying. Thanks again.

Thank You Devon. I'm getting so antsy now. I look at my GRE books feeling like its not normal that I'm not carrying them with me...lol. So pitiful....lol! Anyways. Thank you for the information. I would be ecstatic about doing rotations abroad. I look forward to an interview to talk about this. I've been calling the office no answer for couple days. I will keep trying. Thanks again.

RE: cadavers

Spring semester, Anatomy will consist of working with cadavers every week. A combination of the plastinated cadavers in the PA suite and via prosection on the cadavers in the PT lab (located on bottom level). The plastinated are OK, but the PT lab is where you will really learn a lot. The PT students who act as Teaching Assistants in the cadaver lab (and who actually dissect the cadavers) are fantastic.

Spring semester, Anatomy will consist of working with cadavers every week. A combination of the plastinated cadavers in the PA suite and via prosection on the cadavers in the PT lab (located on bottom level). The plastinated are OK, but the PT lab is where you will really learn a lot. The PT students who act as Teaching Assistants in the cadaver lab (and who actually dissect the cadavers) are fantastic.

Yes thank you so much for the information. This helps a lot. I'm even more impressed.

Devon,

What day of the week was your interview?

Yes thank you so much for the information. This helps a lot. I'm even more impressed.

Devon,

What day of the week was your interview?

• 2 weeks later...

Genevieve,

Did you ever get a hold of someone at the office? I have tried calling a few times but have not been able to get through. I really want to call and ask the status on my application...thinking it may put me at a little ease since I am getting more nervous as the days are passing by!

Devon,

How long did it take for you to get called for an interview after your application was complete?

spatel88- I submitted my app in early March and was called for an interview mid June. My interview was on June 20th... I had the weekend to prepare for the interview. I was accepted a few days after my interview. Let me know if you have any more questions that I may be able to answer for you!! Best of Luck!

spatel88-

I did get a hold of Amanda. I called practically every day. It took a while for me to get through to them. However, I have been in contact with Ms. Jordana since back in January, so whenever I email her I always get a response. But after submitting my GRE scores I still have not had a response about an interview. I'm patiently waiting. Although, I think i have a long shot to getting an interview I can only hope for the best. Let me know if you ever hear from them.

I talked to somebody there two weeks ago, and she said the class is definitely not full, and they do the majority of their interviews in October timeframe. I really wanted to know because I still need to take the Biochemistry prereq, which is kind of specific to Mercer, and was not going to take it if the class was getting full. I 'think' she said that they have not done an interview since the round in June. So... for me, I went ahead and signed up for Biochemistry and am hoping for that interview...

Thank you Devon and congrats on your acceptance! :)

Genevieve,

I will definitely keep you posted if I hear back from them! I am usually in touch with Amanda and have spoke to Emily in the past and have e-mailed Ms. Jordana before as well! They are all very helpful and hopefully I can get in touch with one of them soon!

Bluesguy,

It definitely makes me feel better that the class is not full yet. I'm suprised that most of the interviews are held during October. I assumed that most of the class would be full by then since the meet and greet is held in October. I really really want to go to Mercer and will do anything to go there. I have been at the hospital this entire summer trying to reach the preferred 1000 hours. I plan on hitting 1000 in about a week's time and I also plan on building on my direct patient care experiences from there! So hopefully I will get that interview...fingers crossed for all of us!

Archived