C in a required science

How much of a kiss of death is a C in organic chemistry? Aside from that my grades are very good, mainly As with a few Bs scattered here and there. Would I be better off with a W than a C, and retaking ochem at a different school, even though I would only be able I show it as in progress for my applications? I am looking at applying to some schools that require o chem

Any advice greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

Sorry, I'm hijacking this thread bc my question is somewhat relevant. Basically, I'm getting mixed responses on whether or not I should address the 2 W's on my transcript in my personal statement, or wait until it is brought up in the interview (if I get one).

I got one in organic chem A, and the other in biochem. I retook organic chem A, but didn't retake biochem. In hindsight, I probably should've just stuck with them the first time because I was getting a C+, but hindsight is 20/20 right? Any thoughts? Thanks so much in advance. 

I don't think you'll have to address those in your personal statement. Your personal statement should be reserved to discuss what has motivated you to want to be a PA. When schools send you a secondary application, often they will ask you to address any academic issues you may have had, such as withdrawing from a class. If you have a chance to take a biochem course, that would help. And yes, a C+ is  much better than a W. Good Luck.

I have to disagree. People should avoid getting Ws when they can, but if your transcript isn't littered with them and your choices are a W or C in a science pre-req course, take the W.

This is the route I took. I was enrolled in UNE's awful online biochem class and had to make the choice of killing myself to get a C or a B at best or dropping the class and taking Ochem at the university where I have been taking prereqs and get an A with a normal amount of effort. I called my program and they suggested I drop the biochem class and take the ochem class.

I don't think you'll have to address those in your personal statement. Your personal statement should be reserved to discuss what has motivated you to want to be a PA.

If you had several semesters of all F's and Ws like I did, you might want to briefly work in your explanation into you PS (as in my case, I pretty just admitted I was immature and moved on). However for a single C in ochem you are right on. No one is going to much anyways if you have a nice app.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Archived