EM PAs: how long do you usually stick around after your shift?

I'm pretty much done with everything by the time my shift ends- I've rarely had to stay late- it's either the **** is hitting the fan right when I'm supposed to leave, or there's a procedure to do or need to sign out the patient and am just waiting for a callback.  But the vast majority of the time I'm on my way out the door.  I've gotten very efficient at documenting as I go during the shift.

one of my physician colleagues does most of his documentation at home which makes no sense to me. I worked with him last weekend and he had 63 charts to do at home on his day off after working 2 12 hr shifts. as fasr as I am concerned documenting off the clock is the same as paying yourself less per hour. if I stay late to do anything(except maybe see a cool procedure or participate in something very new and interesting for my own edification) I bill for it.

one of my physician colleagues does most of his documentation at home which makes no sense to me. I worked with him last weekend and he had 63 charts to do at home on his day off after working 2 12 hr shifts. as fasr as I am concerned documenting off the clock is the same as paying yourself less per hour. if I stay late to do anything(except maybe see a cool procedure or participate in something very new and interesting for my own edification) I bill for it.

If I were to try to bill for my extra time spent working, whether that be staying a couple hours late or doing charts at home, I'd just get laughed at

If I were to try to bill for my extra time spent working, whether that be staying a couple hours late or doing charts at home, I'd just get laughed at

I can bill for any extra time spent at the facility on clinically related stuff but not for documenting from home. typically if I stay less than an hr over to finish up I don't bother billing for it but if I stay over 4 hrs on a 12 hr shift like I did last week due to huge er volume I bill for it.

Unless it's busy, I also will get all my charting done during my shift. There will be periods when I get behind, but typically when I hit my final hour I make sure that I am caught up and any new patients I see will be charted as I go. We use PICIS, so I have created several macros that for the most part generate my entire ROS/PE/MDM and that usually keeps me up to speed.

I like to zip out when the shift ends (e.g. 'on time').  You put in a full days work for a full day's pay - why the hell not?  But typically no more than 20-30 minutes after shift end to clean things up (making sure the attending doesn't get socked with any extra work they don't need for any patients I signed out to him/her, ensuring any admissions are arranged, discharging & talking to the last few patients, finishing touches on a couple of charts. . . )

Chart as I go.  Dot phrases and templates/macros in Epic ASAP make it faster & easier

If the department is burning down of course I'll stay for as long as it takes until the wheels aren't coming off - but we get paid for it.

I like to zip out when the shift ends (e.g. 'on time').  You put in a full days work for a full day's pay - why the hell not?  But typically no more than 20-30 minutes after shift end to clean things up (making sure the attending doesn't get socked with any extra work they don't need for any patients I signed out to him/her, ensuring any admissions are arranged, discharging & talking to the last few patients, finishing touches on a couple of charts. . . )

Chart as I go.  Dot phrases and templates/macros in Epic ASAP make it faster & easier

If the department is burning down of course I'll stay for as long as it takes until the wheels aren't coming off - but we get paid for it.

I'm usually out within 15-20 minutes of the end of my shift. These past few weeks have been busy, so I've actually put in for some 14-15 hour days to help clean up before I leave. But, I always put in for my extra time (usually anything more than 30 mins...). I also chart along the way. There are days (when you have sick or critical patients that make it more difficult, but in general, charting only takes me 5-7 minutes for a complicated chart. In my opinion, charting after the fact makes it much easier to leave out important details, conversations with consultants, etc

Archived