Remuneration advice

Hi all,

I am a PA in Ontario, Canada and have been offered the chance of a part-time position at an urgent care clinic on weekends (I do full time FM during the week). I have a few years of EM and FM experience and think I could do well there. Since PAs are new here and no standards really exist I have been asked by the clinic owner how and what I want to be paid. He has 2 docs on at a time and they bill the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) $32/pt plus extra billing for procedures etc., etc. 25% of the doc's billings goes to the clinic. My initial idea was I should be paid a per-centage of the total billing but he says no, because he does't want to take from what the MDs are billing. So what/how should I suggest I be paid? I told him I would email him by tomorrow with an answer.

not sure how Canada works but who pays for malpractice?

this is an ignorant question but is the Canadian dollar worth the same as a US dollar ? I believe it is

Sounds like you are getting paid 32 $ an hour to have no weekend. What procedures would you be doing ? Maybe 1 abscess a shift .... or casting ....  Most visits will have no procedure involved. Very low salary. Ask for 42 and procedure bonus.

Urgent care PAs (at least in my home state) are paid fairly well, typically better than FM and slightly less than EM.  A typical salary is 90-95+K a year with malpractice and full health benefits coverage.  In areas that don't pay as well even a new grad should still be making at least 80K.  This is all in USD.  Many positions require 1-2 weekends every month and otherwise either do five 8 hr shifts, four 10s, or three 12s.

Urgent care PAs (at least in my home state) are paid fairly well, typically better than FM and slightly less than EM.  A typical salary is 90-95+K a year with malpractice and full health benefits coverage.  In areas that don't pay as well even a new grad should still be making at least 80K.  This is all in USD.  Many positions require 1-2 weekends every month and otherwise either do five 8 hr shifts, four 10s, or three 12s.

Thanks!

Hi SocialMedicine, thanks for the reply. the $32.00 figure is per patient. Not per hour. Will likely see 5-10 patients per hour.

per hour or per shift? I can see 6/hr if minor acuity and keep up with the paperwork. 10/hr is not feasible unless you are not charting at all.

per hour or per shift? I can see 6/hr if minor acuity and keep up with the paperwork. 10/hr is not feasible unless you are not charting at all.

Chart afterwards. Per hour. I've seen lots of docs do it. In the minor part of my emerg I can often seen that many per hour. So many cases of nothing. URTI, dry skin. stuff most people wouldn't go seek medical attention for but some do.

Chart afterwards. Per hour. I've seen lots of docs do it. In the minor part of my emerg I can often seen that many per hour. So many cases of nothing. URTI, dry skin. stuff most people wouldn't go seek medical attention for but some do.

in the states each one of those still gets a full chart to avoid later litigation....without charting it's easy. In Haiti 2 years ago I saw 100 in 4 hrs with chart notes that look like this:

c/c headache

exam benign

Tx tylenol

in the states each one of those still gets a full chart to avoid later litigation....without charting it's easy. In Haiti 2 years ago I saw 100 in 4 hrs with chart notes that look like this:

c/c headache

exam benign

Tx tylenol

p.s. charting afterwards often means you miss stuff, not to mention you are working for free if you chart off the clock.

c/c headache

exam benign

Tx tylenol

Yes, you can basically chart like that.  for e.g.  29 yr old fem intermitent h/a x 2 days. no vision changes, not sudden. not worst ever. not trauma no loc. same as previous h/as.  pmh: h/a, sh: no smoke, no rec drugs. soc etoh. O/E: cn 2-12 intact, no PD, PERLA. EOM. no skin changes. ENT N. No skin tenderness. A/P benign H/A consistent with previous. maxeran, gravol, fluids, advil.

Yes, you can basically chart like that.  for e.g.  29 yr old fem intermitent h/a x 2 days. no vision changes, not sudden. not worst ever. not trauma no loc. same as previous h/as.  pmh: h/a, sh: no smoke, no rec drugs. soc etoh. O/E: cn 2-12 intact, no PD, PERLA. EOM. no skin changes. ENT N. No skin tenderness. A/P benign H/A consistent with previous. maxeran, gravol, fluids, advil.

that is a multipage note in the states with discussion of risk factors, ddx, etc

Archived