How often do you use your PDA/smartphone on rotation?

How often do you use your PDA/smartphone everyday on rotation (clinical purposes)?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you use your PDA/smartphone everyday on rotation (clinical purposes)?

• None
    • 1-5
    • 5+

I have a iphone 2g (first iphone that came out) but it has slowed way down over the years, to the point where it takes nearly 5-10s to load apps (i.e. Epocrates). Furthermore, it is not 3G capable, so if there's no wifi, it would be pretty much unusable if an internet connection is required.

So I'm debating whether to buy a new smartphone right now, before rotations start in a couple months.

During my didactic year and the very first week of clinicals I thought I would use it all the time... but I have barely used it at all during the past 8 months, and when I do, it's only because I left my pocket pharmacopoeia at home. Save your money- a slightly slow epocrates is all you need.

• 4 weeks later...
Don't use one at all. Tarascon's pocket pharmacopeia and sanfords infectious dz in my pocket covers 99% of my questions...but i'm pretty old school...just got my own cell phone last yr and it's my wife's 10 yr old phone...

I use Tarascon's and sanfords as well. Tarascon has an app for the iphone/ipod, which I prefer to use, because it's only one thing I have to carry with me. Our hospital supplies Up to Date, which is on all of your computers, which I have used on occassion.

It totally depended on the rotation for me. During Peds I'd use a dosing calculator once or twice a day, during OB, I'd use it only for an OB wheel and pregnancy contraindications, but during ER and IM, I'd look all kinds of things up all day long. For me, it was worthwhile, but your mileage may vary.

I use epocrates, emedicine and a couple of apps that have calculators for BMI, med dosing etc... and I use the phone for the internet for odd questions that come up... I also log my patients when we have large breaks between patients... The app for logging patients cost $10 and was worth every penny for the amount of personal time it saves me...

• 4 weeks later...

Medscape is great because you can assign it a specialty. Right now I.get cardiology news. It helps to keep up to date

As you can see I also use my smart phone (android os) to keep up on the pa forum. The tapatalk pa forum widget it right next to my medicine folder on my social apps screen

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Archived