The Residency Program in Geriatric Medicine for Physician Assistants at the Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center in Houston, Texas is currently accepting applications.

The residency will prepare you to truly be part of a healthcare team, where your skills and professionalism are respected and enhanced.

This residency is the first of its kind, focused on care of the older patient. The program is in collaboration with Baylor College of Medicine, which is consistently ranked as one of the top 10 PA programs in the country. There is an engaging and rewarding schedule of rotations and electives, including cardiology, endocrinology, HIV/AIDS, palliative care, wound care and others. While all of the clinical experiences are at the Houston VA and affiliated outpatient clinics, the residents are in the Texas Medical Center, with all that it has to offer. The residency is twelve months long, and there is a stipend of over $47,600.

We may be contacted at HoustonPAResidency@VA.gov or 713-794-8766.

• Upvote 3

this looks like a great opportunity.

LA County/USC used to have a geriatrics residency for PAs (along with peds and em) and it closed in the mid-1990s.

This is a very rewarding residency.  Residents have exposure to a diverse patient population as well as to top-notch lectures and experts.  The opportunity to participate in specialty rotations like endocrinology, infectious disease and cardiology gives the resident greater proficiency in treating many common but complicated chronic conditions. 

This sounds exciting! I just wish I had the opportunity to start now. I am eager to hear what transpires in the future.

I have nearly two years of practice under my belt at a FQHC, where I've learned A LOT (mostly trial by fire), but I decided I needed more mentor-ship than I'm currently getting.  I interviewed at this program a few weeks ago and absolutely love what they have to offer. They've graduated two residents so far and I spoke with both of them--they both loved it!   The faculty clearly feel passionate about what they do and are excited to teach.  I guess they liked me, too, because I'll be joining them in January.  I'm sure I'll give a report-back in the future, but for now, I couldn't be more excited about this opportunity.  I'm sure it will be more than worth the pay-cut and one-year relocation.

• Upvote 1

I have nearly two years of practice under my belt at a FQHC, where I've learned A LOT (mostly trial by fire), but I decided I needed more mentor-ship than I'm currently getting.  I interviewed at this program a few weeks ago and absolutely love what they have to offer. They've graduated two residents so far and I spoke with both of them--they both loved it!   The faculty clearly feel passionate about what they do and are excited to teach.  I guess they liked me, too, because I'll be joining them in January.  I'm sure I'll give a report-back in the future, but for now, I couldn't be more excited about this opportunity.  I'm sure it will be more than worth the pay-cut and one-year relocation.

Congrats!  

How many residents per year and  what are the options after the residency , meaning which areas of medicine can you practice ( is it specific only for geriatrics ),

How many residents per year and  what are the options after the residency , meaning which areas of medicine can you practice ( is it specific only for geriatrics ),

Geriatrics Residency at Houston VA

would assume anywhere you see old people.....

The program has 2 residents in 2 classes in the year (one starting in January and one starting in June I believe).  But this is a new program and they've only graduated 2 residents so far.  This will be the first year I think they are aiming to have 4 residents (all slots filled).

I think this residency prepares you not only for geriatric patients, but complicated patients.  Right now I'm at a FQHC.  Some of my 40 year-olds have worse complications, like CKD, CHF etc, than many geriatric patients.  Of course there are some rotations very specific to geriatric patients, but many rotations are internal medicine for complicated patients.  For instance, I can do an elective month of endo that is basically DM bootcamp.  I'm looking forward to that.  You get 3 months of electives.