PA-S noob question

First, if this is deemed inappropriate--mods please feel free to move whatever section you see fit and I apologize.

I'm almost half way through my didactic year at IPAP at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio. I love what I'm learning, and I'm excited to be able to apply it later and we have probably some of the best instructors that a student could ask for. They have more experience in situations that most PA's could never dream of, and wouldn't want to to be honest.

But to the point.....I didn't do as well as I should have on my first Radiology exam today. I scored exceptionally well through the basic sciences and so far I have done well in system specific courses. But every time I get what I deem as a bad grade, I'm aware that the low to mid 80's is where a lot of students call "home" but not me, I doubt myself that I can really do the job without killing somebody. So my question out to the experienced PA's is, how much do we know when we graduate, how much are we expected to know when we graduate? The military has a great program, but I fear that I'm not learning as much as I need to, I'm just regurgitating whatever I can cram into my melon. Thanks in advance, and please excuse if inappropriate.

I agree with andersenpa. When I went to MEDEX they told me that school wil be like trying to get a drink from a fire hydrant. we can't get all there is but the important thing to realize is that we don't and won't know it all and we have more to learn later. Put another way is that garduation and certification says you have accomplished goals to an entery level of knowledge, again it's not saying your a board certified radiologist. MCHAD's words are also true in that the way to get in trouble is to think you know it all; it's sounds as though your concern over lack of knowledge might actually be a strength. Don't give up.

Archived