Microbiology requirement

I am currently taking my classes at Temple University. I was just wonder what will fulfil the microbiology requirement since I only see two classes with microbiology at Temple University Clinical Microbiology and General Microbiology). I can take Clinical Mircrobiology anytime but General Microbiology has a lot of prereqs like Cell Structure and Function and Organic Chemistry. I was just wondering if Cinical Microbiology is enough to full their microbiology requirement.

Can anyone tell me what they used as their microbiology prereq for PA School?

• 4 weeks later...

It may not matter, but I would suggest looking up the course descriptions for both micro courses at Temple and look up the course description for micro at PhilaU.  It would be safe to say that whichever most closely matches would be the one to take.

BIOL 2001 - Clinical Microbiology - Temple University

This course is an introduction to the microorganisms that cause infectious diseases around the world. The nonspecific and specific host defense mechanisms are discussed. Methods for diagnosis, including culturing and immunological procedures, are covered. Other topics include disinfection, sterilization, standard precautions, antimicrobials, disease prevention and control. Laboratory related learning experiences, involving the testing of scientific principles related to lecture/discussion content, are integrated to support concepts introduced during lectures. NOTE: Not available for Biology major credit. 

Credit Hours: 4.000 

Levels: Graduate, Undergraduate 

Schedule Types: Lecture and Lab 

Division: Undergraduate 

Department: CST:Biology

BIOL-221 (Formerly S221) - Philadelphia University Undergrad PA Program3-0-3

Microbiology

(Writing Intensive)

This course provides an introduction to environmental, industrial, food and medical microbiology. An understanding of the methods by which microbes produce disease, as well as interact with body surfaces to maintain human health, is also discussed.

Co-requisite: BIOL-221L

I think the Clinical Microbiology description matches the one from Philadelphia University's Microbiology Description.

Gen Micro is what I would take based upon the title. I would look up semester hours required compared to those courses. Which one has a lab would be another factor.

This is the one for Gen Micro from Temple University.

BIOL 3317 - General Microbiology This course is typically offered in Spring.

A general survey of bacteria and archaea. Topics include: classification; physiology, growth, and environmental impact; genetics and gene recombination; evolutionary relationships. Laboratory topics include pure culture, identification, growth characteristics, and genetics. 

Credit Hours: 4.000 

Levels: Graduate, Undergraduate 

Schedule Types: Lecture and Lab 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived