Hi everyone! I am preparing myself early for o'chem and was wondering if anyone of you could make some recommendations in how to study o'chem? Tips, tricks, books etc JA5y0mR.gif

I'm an orgo chem tutor (among several other courses). All of my students who use Klein's "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" do way better than those who don't.

http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemistry-As-Second-Language/dp/111801040X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392532681&sr=8-2&keywords=organic+chemistry+as+a+second+language

I didn't use any particular tricks besides time spent on studying. But, what helped me retain the information is to dwell on it during off times such as while I'm sitting in traffic, waiting for a cafeteria chef to cook me lunch, or in my near-daily jog.

I'm an orgo chem tutor (among several other courses). All of my students who use Klein's "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" do way better than those who don't.

http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemistry-As-Second-Language/dp/111801040X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392532681&sr=8-2&keywords=organic+chemistry+as+a+second+language

I hope this is not inappropriate in asking, but where do you live?

I second the masterorganicchemistry.com website, it was very helpful.  I also bought the book, Organic Chemistry for Dummies and it helped as well.  Good luck!

Organic Chemistry as a Second Language is good as well, but once you get into mechanisms Sn1/E1, etc. I didn't find it as helpful. I would say some of the most critical things to keep in mind with O-chem is staying ahead of the material and thinking about WHY something reacts the way it does, versus sheer memorization. If you have any more in depth questions feel free to PM me.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Pastudent463
      Our program is starting rotations soon and we are using standardized end of rotation exams though the PAEA.  What are the best books to use to prepare for these exams or any end of rotation exam? 
      Thanks in advance! 
    • By NPthePA2018
      Hey guys! I'm super excited to start PA school in May 2019! With that being said, I'm curious to know what your favorite books are to prep for the exams/PANCE? Some of the first year PA students I've talked to recommended Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy, Blueprints Medicine, and PANCE Prep Pearls. I'm keeping these suggestions on the back burner until PA school starts & if I need some additional information. I would appreciate any other recommendations, thanks!  

• By healthyventurer
      Physician Assistant FAQ!
      Some insight for pre-PAs! On career, lifestyle, school, studying, and more. Hope you like! 
    • By pastudentw
      Selling both Andrew Rodican books, both paperback. "The Ultimate Guide to getting into Physician Assistant School"- 3rd edition. Lightly used/great condition. Only one highlighted section (see photos). "How to Ace the Physician Assistant School Interview"- lightly used. A few highlighted sections, most being pencil. Doesn't interfere with future use of the book. Selling both for $30+shipping to respective area. Books sell for full price for about $30 each on Amazon for new. I would like to sell both at once versus splitting the set.
      I have them listed on the Facebook marketplace (see link below). You can message me there or here on the forum.
      https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/216156642374526/
    • By marrbarr10
      Curious if anyone had recommendations for useful gastroenterology books, as I will begin working in an inpatient & outpatient setting in 2 weeks. I would like to study the "basics" so the practice doesn't instantly regret hiring me ;) Any recommendations (or even advice) is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

(P.S. -- yes, I did see that the same question was posted in 2011. Though, would like to see if people have different ideas 7 years later!)

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More