whoRyou

Preparation for Pharmacology

Hi everyone! I am preparing myself early for pharm and was wondering if anyone of you could make some recommendations in how to study pharm? Tips, tricks, books etc  JA5y0mR.gif

1) Watch Youtube videos of molecular pathways. 2) Visualize the pathways in 3 dimensions compared to 2D figures you see in text books.

Also, there is not only one ligand that binds to one receptor. There are MANY LIGANDS TO MANY RECEPTORS that conduct pathways. If you think one miniscule protein affects your nervous system or endocrine system, you are wrong.

Good luck!

Pharm, you love it or hate it....I think it's a festering pile of suck....it is what it is.  You can look at some things before hand, but I think you should just learn it as they teach it in class. 

Here are some things that I have done....I am doing well in pharm.

As far as trying memorize pathways....that's good, but stick to general types.  You want a general understanding of the principles.  Remember, you are not going to school to be a pharmacist.  Don't get bogged down in the minutia.

Do pay attention when they are covering the CYP-450 interactions.  If you can understand why this is important, it will help you understand drug-drug interactions a lot better.

I use classification charts and group drugs in families....this gives me a visual. 

Other than that, you will have to get used to memorizing large amounts of material.

Congrats and good luck

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By NPthePA2018
      Hey guys! I'm super excited to start PA school in May 2019! With that being said, I'm curious to know what your favorite books are to prep for the exams/PANCE? Some of the first year PA students I've talked to recommended Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy, Blueprints Medicine, and PANCE Prep Pearls. I'm keeping these suggestions on the back burner until PA school starts & if I need some additional information. I would appreciate any other recommendations, thanks!  

• By pastudentw
      Selling both Andrew Rodican books, both paperback. "The Ultimate Guide to getting into Physician Assistant School"- 3rd edition. Lightly used/great condition. Only one highlighted section (see photos). "How to Ace the Physician Assistant School Interview"- lightly used. A few highlighted sections, most being pencil. Doesn't interfere with future use of the book. Selling both for $30+shipping to respective area. Books sell for full price for about $30 each on Amazon for new. I would like to sell both at once versus splitting the set.
      I have them listed on the Facebook marketplace (see link below). You can message me there or here on the forum.
      https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/216156642374526/
    • By marrbarr10
      Curious if anyone had recommendations for useful gastroenterology books, as I will begin working in an inpatient & outpatient setting in 2 weeks. I would like to study the "basics" so the practice doesn't instantly regret hiring me ;) Any recommendations (or even advice) is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

(P.S. -- yes, I did see that the same question was posted in 2011. Though, would like to see if people have different ideas 7 years later!)
    • By cemetra
      Hi, everyone. I’m going to attempt becoming a PA and need some advice. I have a good idea on what I’ll be doing to attempt getting into programs, so I’ll go ahead and give you my estimated credentials when applying to a program, sometime in the next 4 years.
        Bachelor of Science in Psychology with a minor in Health Sciences from Arizona State University. 3.6 GPA Standard GRE scores (haven’t taken any yet, but to play it safe, I’ll just say I’ve hypothetically scored average or slightly above average) Surgical Technician degree from a local technical college with ~ 2,000 hours clinical experience with ~ 500 hours of volunteer hospital-related work. Seeking to become a Surgical Physician Assistant.   My main concern is that I’ll be attending ASU Online. I live in Georgia, so I’m sure the topic will be brought up and if I moved here, took online classes, etc. I’m completely content with online classes and don’t think they’ll harm my chances. I’ve inquired to PA programs near me, and they have all said they accept online programs like I’m pursuing, but that doesn’t let me know if someone would be deemed more competitive if they had similar credentials as me but in a physical campus. For my labs (required for PA program acceptance), I will actually have to fly out of state and attend those in person in an accelerated fashion specifically designed for out of state online students, so I’m still getting that physical lab presence, and it’s from a highly respected university.   With all that being said, I currently have a job in aviation with a Fortune 500 company - I know, totally different world. My point is that I make really good money for my age. I’m 24 and made a little over $60,000 last year, which is very good in Georgia. So I don’t want to leave my current job to pursue school in a more traditional sense. I’m actually attending two colleges simultaneously - the local tech college for my Surgical Technician degree and ASU.   I’ve just started on my ST program, which will take about 18 months. In this time, I can continue to go to ASU Online, work towards my bachelor’s, and save up as much money as possible from my job. After I complete the ST program, I’ll leave my current job to gain some clinical experience. I’ll have about 2-3 years left for me to finish my bachelors, which will give me plenty of time to rack up those required clinical hours.   Sorry to rant, but I just wanted to get everything out there in a single post. Do you guys think I’m on the right track? How do you feel about me getting an online degree from ASU while simultaneously working for clinical experience? Does getting a degree part-time look less competitive than someone who’s going to college full time? How do you feel about my credentials?   Answers to any questions are highly appreciated! Thanks again.
    • By AspiringPA21
      Has anyone taken an online pharmacology course (distance learning) that counted towards the sGPA and was accepted by most schools? I live in NYC and I can't find any school in a close proximity that gives this course. One school did but they stopped since no one would register for the class. I have heard pharmacology has been a tough course for all students so I rather take that to boost my GPA and have the background when starting PA school (one day).

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More