Class size

I've been looking at different PA programs, and notice many of them have larger class sizes.  How does it work when The program has 40 or greater students in each cohort?  Are all classes in the large group, or is it broken up?  I know it would differ for each program, but what do people who have attended larger programs think of it? 

62 in our class.

We sit in a lecture hall that fits 120 most the time.

We were broken up into 2 groups for anatomy lab, diagnostic imaging lab, and physical exam labs.

We were in one big group for our diagnostic modalities (phlebotomy / clinical lab stuff).

No issues reported here either.

61 in my class. No issues that I have experienced, though my program has a class of this size for almost 20 years. 

Lectures are in a largish hall that we fit into pretty much perfectly. We are broken into multiple groups for labs and advising sessions (though I've met with my adviser plenty of times privately as well). Plenty of one-on-one time if you need it, all you need to do is ask. 5-1 ratio in cadaver lab as well.

It's big enough to have many different kinds of personalities and backgrounds, you can find people you get along with, and don't have to hang out with the same people all the time, but small enough that you know everyone and it doesn't seem all that big once you get settled into school. Overall, I'm quite happy and love my program.

If this is a concern, the key is to ask lots of questions when the time comes. Ask students how the class is managed, if the class feels large or small, if there are scheduling issues, if they feel like they get the attention they need, etc. 

From my previous education experiences I know that I prefer discussion style classes; that is how I learn.  I wasn't sure that would be possible in the larger programs, figured most of the classes would be lecture with the entire group.   

I've been hearing a bit about problem based learning that a few PA schools have, would that effect it being lecture vs discussion?  

From my previous education experiences I know that I prefer discussion style classes; that is how I learn.  I wasn't sure that would be possible in the larger programs, figured most of the classes would be lecture with the entire group.   

I've been hearing a bit about problem based learning that a few PA schools have, would that effect it being lecture vs discussion?  

Most schools will have death by powerpoint lectures for the entire class.  Labs may be broken up into smaller groups depending on the size of the class and number of faculty.

• Administrator

Most schools will have death by powerpoint lectures for the entire class.  Labs may be broken up into smaller groups depending on the size of the class and number of faculty.

This.  The discussion will be in smaller breakout groups (My class of 44 was broken into 6 groups) or in your own study sessions, lectures can't get THAT interactive as class sizes increase.

Archived