new grad ER contract

I'm a soon to be new grad currently in talks with a local ER group with a contract that has been verbally extended to me. It was the only job I've applied to at this point and got called in for an interview. The position seemed like a good place for a new grad. I would initially be started off as a fast-track PA and as I built my competencies would gradually be doing more cross-coverage in the main ER as well. The staff seems extremely willing to teach and prefers hiring new-grads over experienced PAs (if only all positions would think like them! haha). Details as follows:

Initially $40/hr. $2.50/hr raises q6 months until 24 months. 

Productivity bonus that ranges from $2-6/hr for most PAs working there.

36hrs/wk guaranteed (4 x 9h shifts)

3 weeks PTO (CME time included in this)

Medical/Dental (I pay 20%)

401k (Match upto 3%)

Malpractice insurance - (need to confirm if it covers tail)

for a first job, not too bad.

in the long run, retirement should be better and medical/dental/vision should be 100% paid for by them for you and all your dependents.

but like I said, as a first job it sounds great, especially given the teaching they will do which more than offsets some of the other issues.

ps you want to check about license fees, dea, life insurance, long term disability, etc

Recently graduated from post-graduate ER training program. Will have 6 months full-time ER experience prior to starting. Offer as follows...

$43/hr base. 36 hr/week. With differential and productivity should be about 105k. Able to pick up OT after 6 months of employment at a rate of $70/hr. CME $1500/yr. 5% 401K match. Medical/dental. 3 weeks PTO. Will be reimbursed for state licensing. Will be working in fast-track and main ED.

Agree with above. Graduated 6 months ago from post grad EM program at Cook County Hospital. Base $55/hr + Rvu bonuses (amounts to about $15,000ish a year). Work about 35 hrs a week. Also get compensated for over night shifts (base x 1.5) and  working holidays (automatic $200). We also get longevity bonuses every year (1st year $200, 2nd year $400, 3rd year $600, etc). $3500 CME, 401k, and great bennies. My emergency medicine group looks very favorably upon PA EM residencies. Would highly recommend as you will be PAID to learn advanced clinical skills you may never learn.

you do not state rather you have to do overnights and how many nights and weekends

Strange they "prefer" new grads as the only places I have seen with this is one's that want cheap labor and not really supporting new grads......  how long has the PA staff been there?

Need to pin them down on schedule

Need to have the above in writing and they need to pay for PALS, ATLS, ACLS and Airway course out of a different CME fund so that you do not spend all your own CME money on these courses.

overall not bad if you get these questions answered.

Spensj, How did you like the Cook county ED post grad program? I am currently finishing my first year and plan to go into EM and have been looking at their program as a very nice option. Is it very competitive to get into their program? What kinds of things were you learning? If you wouldn't mind giving me some typical information about it I would really appreciate it. Thanks

• 2 months later...

@bjmcell @akdEM sorry for the late response. I should check the forum more often. Liked the program. Prepared me well for the ED. I think around 25 people applied for 4 positions when I was accepted; however, i suspect it is becoming more competitive as more and more PA students realize the benefits of doing a postgrad residency. I truly believe postgrad programs are the wave of the future. Obviously you learn to think like a EM PA-C. Was able to place chest tubes, central lines, etc in the trauma rotation. The elective rotations (ultrasound, anesthesiology, plastics, etc) were extremely helpful to my current practice. For example, I often use bedside ultrasound during my shifts (FAST exams for the trauma patient, transabdominal exams for the +hcg. Lectures/M&M conference once a week. Overall, great program.

• 1 year later...

Agree with above. Graduated 6 months ago from post grad EM program at Cook County Hospital. Base $55/hr + Rvu bonuses (amounts to about $15,000ish a year). Work about 35 hrs a week. Also get compensated for over night shifts (base x 1.5) and  working holidays (automatic $200). We also get longevity bonuses every year (1st year $200, 2nd year $400, 3rd year $600, etc). $3500 CME, 401k, and great bennies. My emergency medicine group looks very favorably upon PA EM residencies. Would highly recommend as you will be PAID to learn advanced clinical skills you may never learn.

I'm interested in a residency and this is very interesting. So do you make ~130k/yr already (if you work 1 night/wk, since 1.5 base = 82.5/hr)?

If you did 3 nights/wk that would mean you'd make 160k/yr?

Archived