Why aren't PA school clinical curriculums specialized?

Let's say I'm a new grad PA-C, and I apply for an adult critical care job. If an adult-acute-care noctor were to apply to the same job, I'm sent back to the dugout immediately.  

Also, we are the only providers that don't specialize.  I've been marginalized already by having this fact thrown in my face.

Let me also say that I am well aware of the benefits of not specializing, so please don't waste your time trying to explain them to me. I am also aware that if clinical rotations were specialized, I would have no chance in |-|{LL of passing the PANCE.

So I guess my real question is, what is our way around this mindset that says we are masters of none? Thanks in advance for your replies.

If you want to specialize, do your optional rotations in that specialty and consider a post graduation residency. I have heard of people doing both with critical care.

BTW, I got my cardiology job partially because I spent a whole 2 weeks in an optional cardio rotation.

As far as most other things, I think that the generalist training we get is a nice starting point for a great many jobs.

PA education has long been built on a generalist foundation. This is how the PANCE and PANRE are written and how the ARC-PA Standards for PA Education spell out the way PAs are taught. It is a competency-based education and always has been.

That said, to some extent you can tailor your rotations to areas of interest. Easier to do in a school with more rotations beyond core, but can be done. And there's always the option of residency for additional skills and certifications.

Let's say I'm a new grad PA-C, and I apply for an adult critical care job. If an adult-acute-care noctor were to apply to the same job, I'm sent back to the dugout immediately.  

Also, we are the only providers that don't specialize.  I've been marginalized already by having this fact thrown in my face.

Let me also say that I am well aware of the benefits of not specializing, so please don't waste your time trying to explain them to me. I am also aware that if clinical rotations were specialized, I would have no chance in |-|{LL of passing the PANCE.

So I guess my real question is, what is our way around this mindset that says we are masters of none? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Just compare things. The NP has 500 hours. Some or all of them may have been spent in the ICU. You had surgery,EM, IM (inpatient) some or all of which is critical care time. Add a critical care rotation and you have more hours. Explain that for example in a SICU having been in the OR and participated in surgery has significant advantage. Etc. It is what you make of it. 

If you want to specialize, do your optional rotations in that specialty and consider a post graduation residency. I have heard of people doing both with critical care.

BTW, I got my cardiology job partially because I spent a whole 2 weeks in an optional cardio rotation.

As far as most other things, I think that the generalist training we get is a nice starting point for a great many jobs.

After spending one week doing cardiology with you I can attest that your expertise and excellence in teaching can enable one to field most basic and intermediate level cardiology problems after two weeks.

Archived