A different perspective of PA application process

Forewarning: long post

I'm submitting this post for any that may be discouraged at what seems like a near impossible feat in being accepted to a PA program with a sub-3.0 GPA.

13 months ago, at age 27, I decided to pursue a career change from biology research to physician assistant. In what was a daunting and tough decision, I dedicated most moments of my life to try to mold myself into an appealing candidate. Within 3 months, I began working as an ED scribe. By the time I submitted my CASPA application in August, 2013, I only had several hundred hours of indirect HCE. In addition, my undergraduate GPA of 2.7 (170 credits) and graduate GPA of 3.75 (40 total credits, 22 course credits) net me a cumulative CASPA GPA of 2.8. I applied to only 4 schools, just to get my feet wet and I didn't expect much out of it. Despite these unflattering stats, I went on 2 interviews, and just received an acceptance phone call yesterday from my top choice (top 10 nationally ranked program).

I tell you this: Don't underestimate the human aspect and personal connect of the admission committee!! I've read it in this forum more than a few times, but they are people with emotions just like you!

1) I chose the hospital that was closest to my apartment to work for my scribe position. By sheer luck, this ED staffed an assistant professor, a future professor, as well as a few alumni of my #1 program. I worked my butt off and let them know of my desires of becoming a PA and I'm sure it showed. Through my determined efforts as a scribe, the future professor approached me, and offered to write a recommendation letter for me. In addition, she buttered me up, and secured an interview for me at this program.

2) One of the PA school alumni, who I work with, keeps close contact with current faculty members. She was at a conference with one of my interviewers 1 week after my interview and told him of my hard work and dedication at my job. He was the person who called me to tell me of my acceptance, by the way. In my mind, my PA co-worker went out of her way to recommend me, and he (1 of 3 interviewers) went out on a limb to vouch for me,

3) The other PA school that I interviewed in November was at a recently provisional accredited, new program. They ended up not accepting me but the Director of Clinical Training at the program hinted they will accept me next year if I improved my Gen Chem I and II grades. He knew me from 13 months ago because I begged him for a 1 on 1 meeting, and I made it clear how much I wanted it. On a side note, despite a lot of advice I received to apply to "new programs, because they may desperately need students", new programs are on a provisional accreditation and likely will not take a chance on a 2.8 GPA student in case said student performs poorly thourghout a PA program. This puts the newly accredited program at an increased risk of losing accreditation that they are not willing to take.

Of course there may have been other factors such as: the courses I took as a non-degree student at a local community college and banged out A's during application, my personal statement that I poured my heart out into, volunteer service to which I sprinkled any free hours into, or minimal stat-stuffers like receiving CPR certification or registering at AAPA as a pre-PA.

However, the most important thing I did was to meet people with even a remote influence, show my face, and express through my actions of my desires. One of the lowest things I did was to drive 4 hours to a PA program for an appointment to meet with its director at noon, sit and wait for him for an extra 4 hours because of his "sudden change in schedule", speak to him for 10 minutes, and drive back home for 4 hours. They ended up not even reviewing my application because of my sub-3.0 GPA, but what's 12 hours really worth in a lifetime?

I feel my acceptance required a certain amount of luck but I grabbed an opportunity when I realized it. You can develop this "luck" by getting in contact with people involved in the admission process. A majority of PA staff are practicing PAs and the internet is an excellent resource to find out where they practice. I challenge you to go out, strategize, and utilize the intangibles of the human experience!

I choose not to go into specifics in this post, but please don't hesitate to PM me for any advice that I can humbly give or even if you just want somebody to talk to.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on getting into your top choice school! What a great feeling that must be - can't wait to have that same experience myself. :) It seems clear that you are aware of where your shortcomings were and actively addressed them, while also proving the level of your dedication. I suspect that had as much as anything to do with your acceptance - wouldn't we all want those sorts of skills in our healthcare providers?

I wonder if you can tell me what you thought of scribing (PM is fine); I've considered it as part of the indirect HCE, but I haven't yet pulled the trigger. Would love to hear more about your experiences with that. 

Archived