I'm a 3rd semester PA student taking adult primary care medicine. Would it be helpful for me to start Kaplan pance q bank? Are there any other sources (preferably cheaper) that provide practice questions by topic/system? How about usmle step 2 questions? Our first exam for the class is coming up and as you can probably tell I'm having a bit of anxiety. Any advice welcome.

I'm a 3rd semester PA student taking adult primary care medicine. Would it be helpful for me to start Kaplan pance q bank? Are there any other sources (preferably cheaper) that provide practice questions by topic/system? How about usmle step 2 questions? Our first exam for the class is coming up and as you can probably tell I'm having a bit of anxiety. Any advice welcome.

Hey you can check out my site:

PhysicianAssistantBoards.com

Its a work in progress but everything is free. Trying to just give back as much as possible. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask! Goodluck w your studies.

Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As other people said, there are a TON of good books out there.  I find that Q&A are the best way for me to learn, personally, and that's all I studied and passed my boards on the first try. 

Having said that, check out my Instagram "medicalboardreview".  I post lots of practice board questions that come straight out of Kaplan, Lange, USMLE, PACKRAT, etc.  It's completely free and a project I'm doing to help motivate myself.  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Similar Content

• By jsullivan1
      Hi! I am currently a first year PA student. Upon shadowing in surgical critical care, I fell in love with the field and want to invest my career in it. I plan on applying to PA residency programs specializing  in surgical critical care after graduation from school (August 2022). I was hoping for advice on how I can begin to build my resume for applying to residency programs. Any help is greatly appreciated:) 

• By AhmedRehman
      Hi my name is Ahmed Rehman and Im a college student that attends Suffolk Community College. Im here to ask if there is any Physician Assistants around my area that are willing to allow me to shadow them. I was really interested in this career path since at a young age and I would love to shadow during the summer. I live around in East Patchogue and Brookhaven. Thank you.
    • By 57WestDerm
      * DERMATOLOGY MEDICAL ASSISTANT - MIDTOWN WEST* 
      Welcoming, friendly and motivated individual for Medical Assistant position in our small, established Midtown West Dermatology practice. We are interested ONLY in applicants who planning a future career as a Physician Assistant - and want to gain experience in the medical field before applying to graduate school. 
      This is a great way to gain experience, get shadowing hours & boost your CV before applying to this highly competitive field! Most of our prior Medical Assistants have gone on to attend various prestigious PA programs after completing this internship. 
      REQUIREMENTS:
      We would need a commitment or 1.5-2 years minimum. You would be working closely with Carrie Doolan, RPA-C and Dr. Alan Glass, who have more than 20 years professional experience. 
      APPLICANTS MUST POSSESS THE FOLLOWING: 
      Reliability, honesty and compassion. 
      Flexibility with schedule: (jobs are full time, 5 days a week including several evenings but NO weekends). 
      Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. 
      Knowledge of EMR or at least tech savvy (this is a paperless office - iPad-based). 
      Prior experience in Dermatology a plus
      RESPONSIBILITIES: 
      Promoting a peaceful, professional atmosphere. 
      Triaging patients and maintaining flow from waiting area to exam rooms. 
      Respecting patient privacy and compliancy with HIPPA. 
      Inspecting exam rooms before and after each patient and restocking supplies. 
      Prepping and maintaining clean treatment rooms to OSHA standards. 
      In depth knowledge of pre and post care treatment to educate patients, 
      Assisting providers with medical, surgical and cosmetic procedures. 
      Processing biopsies and cultures, logging data accordingly and interacting with laboratory. 
      Performing inventory of supplies and equipment and communicating needs for ordering. 
      Sterilizing equipment using autoclave. 
      Cross training with front desk staff for emergency coverage. 
      Willingness to learn common Dermatology language and treatments to effectively communicate with providers, patients and pharmacy staff. 
      Attending mandatory monthly meetings and quarterly outings to provide feedback, make suggestions for improvements and promote a cohesive team environment. 

INTERESTED? Email your resume & questions to 57WestDerm@icloud.com
    • By PA2017m
      I'm a current 2nd year PA student about to graduate this upcoming fall and I've been applying to different ER fellowships. I've been accepted to 2 different fellowships, which I'm so excited about! I thought it would be helpful to create a list of helpful things to look for in a residency / fellowship & red flags to stay away from. This may be geared more towards ER fellowships since that's mainly what I've been applying for. 
      Would appreciate all of your input on this as well, since much of this is coming from what I've read on this forum and online - as well as my personal experience from comparing the different fellowships I've applied to. Let me know what you think!! 
      What to look for:
      Specific clinical rotations through the fellowship  Dedicated lecture time on a routine basis  Dedicated / required list of procedures to complete - means that they won't just train you in the procedure but also make sure that you have enough experience under your belt before leaving the rotation.  Ability to sit for the specialty CAQ exam afterwards (minimum 3000 hrs, equivalent of 18 mo full time practice) (more info: https://prodcmsstoragesa.blob.core.windows.net/uploads/files/CAQGoverningPolicies.pdf)  Connected to a university / training hospital +/- medical residents - means that they're dedicated to training you as a priority, not just move the meat (not always the case, but it gives you a little more peace of mind). I guess there's some cases where medical residents are more competitive.  "Your Patient - Your Procedure" policy with medical residents / interns that may want to steal a procedure from you.  Reasonable salary >$50k - $60k, with CME allowance, paid vacation time (~2 weeks?), full benefits with insurance  AAPAP / other Credentialing: not required, but helpful knowing that the fellowship has been scrutinized & under a specific review process. AAPAP has discontinued the accreditation process though, so may not have a lot of weight now.  Red Flags:
      Claiming to primarily teach you through "exposure", for example, throwing you into the ER without any dedicated rotations or lectures, with maybe lower expectations on how many patients you'll see. You're basically working with lower expectations, and much much lower pay.  Through a PA contracting company & not a university/training hospital. Possible that they're only interested in having low-paying PAs while claiming to give you extra training  Excessive amount of research requirements. Ex: At least 10 hours per week on research, writing articles/case studies, poster presentations, clinical trials, QI studies, etc.  Salary <$50k. One of the fellowships I was accepted to is in one of the most expensive cities in the US and paid about $40k, which was alarming - but this might be normal? I've read that some people have salaries anywhere from 40k - 80k, so I wasn't sure what a reasonable salary amount would be.  Not eligible for the CAQ exam afterwards  Anything else? 🙂
    • By Kavitar27
      Hello, I am a student doing my bachelor's and was wondering if there are any PA in Long Island -preferably in Northwell or Winthrop hospital - that are willing to take a shadow on. I am trying to get my shadowing hours complete before starting CASPA. Thank You! 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More