Senate Bill 2, A.P.R.N. Licensure

Any one from MI needs to contact his/her state representative regarding this bill.  This will put PAs at a severe disadvantage when competing for jobs against NPs.  This will allow NPs to practice independent to physician involvement. Uneducated employers will see them as more qualified and needing less oversight. 

I plan on educating my representative on the clinical hour aspect for NPs which according to American Association of College of Nursing ( as far as I can find) is set at a minimum of 500 clinical hours as it compares to physician clinical hours.  I don't think I want this to sound like a turf war.  At least regarding the passage of this bill.

• 2 weeks later...

@wilso2ar:  Contact the governor and ask to have Senate bills 568,569 and 570 passed into law.  It rewrites the MI health care code to allow PAs to be in collaborative practices, deletes supervision and delegation and will give us independent prescribing rights.  NPs were included in this health care code to be treated the same as PAs. 

Contact MAPA and ask how you can get involved.  Call our lobby guy, Mike Degrow and discuss the PA senate bills.   You are correct in what will happen if PAs do not gain equity with the NPs in MI.  Contact your representative and discuss PAs as providers that are capable of practicing with autonomy and that the state of MI could be the one state in the union that leads the way for PAs.

I have been in touch with Mike DeGrow and have sent letters to the Governor and MAPA.   Our bills are in limbo and we need a push.  Since I live in WI and practice in MI I am not eligible to contact a representative but they still hear me peeping and squeaking out there.   It's time to call Mike again!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Paula

The bill has been in limbo now for months.  I corresponded with the lobby guy and he is meeting with Senator Marleau again to re-visit the bill for collaborative practices.  Now that AAPA has come out with supporting collaboration in place of supervision there might be some hope. 

Guest Paula

The PA bill by Senator Marleau is a step in the right direction.  NPs  have their own bill SB 2 but PAs need to fight for our bill and to include in it independent DEA licensure.  I've offered to do anything I can to get our bill passed. 

Archived