Future classmates,

I'm exicted to be a part of LLU's PA program, and I was curious to see who else got accepted and will be joining the class of 2016. The acceptance letter states that the class starts Monday, Sept. 22nd, so it will be a while until we begin the program. I hope to get to know you guys and girls a lot better, so please feel free to share your thoughts.

• Upvote 3

I am still deciding if I want to accept my seat. For those who were accepted to multiple programs, what was it about LLU that made it your choice?

@aiviphung, I was in your same boat last year! I'm not sure what other programs you were accepted into, but LLU def has a smaller class size then many. Personally, I like the smaller groups...its a nice support system and you get a lot of hands-on interaction, especially in lab. Instead of signing up for time slots, you just show up when you want to study. Having a cadaver lab is much more interesting then book learning too! Also, compare PANCE pass rates and look into whether or not all the students completed the program. Also, cost. If you were accepted into, say, USC...there is a pretty significant cost difference. Also, consider how far away you want to be from family and which would be an easier adjustment overall. The religious aspect of LLU is not overbearing, so if religion is not your style, don't worry. Good luck in your decision! 

• Upvote 2

Thanks melpas. I have heard some people (not in LLU's program) say that 1 grade below an 80% on any exam, you go in front of an advisory committee and a second score below an 80% is dismissal and that lots of students are stressed on a different kind of level there with a high attrition rate. Is there any truth to this?

@aiviphung - Deciding where to attend PA school is a big decision! It is also a terribly personal one, based on many factors unique to each person. I can appreciate your interest in feedback, but ultimately, you need to weigh the things you definitely know about each program you are considering (I would leave the "I've heard from people" nonsense alone) and make the decision that is best for you. I would hope that you know yourself well enough to be able to assess which program is going to be your best fit and also understand that other people's reasons for selecting which PA school to attend is probably only slightly relevant to you.

• Upvote 2

Is there a Facebook page yet?

Congratulations! There is no Facebook page yet, but some of us have already met each other online. 

• Upvote 1

Checking-in... I'll be there in Sept with you guys and gals. @cadogan68, I am from Southern California originally but am not familiar at all with Riverside-San Bernardino area. Right now I'm living in the SF Bay Area. @ethergore, I don't have Facebook but please come back to this forum and let me know if someone creates a page for our class! I might have to sign up.

• Upvote 1

I am excited to meet you all and start classes in the fall. Are you two from Southern California?

I am from San Diego :)

Thanks melpas. I have heard some people (not in LLU's program) say that 1 grade below an 80% on any exam, you go in front of an advisory committee and a second score below an 80% is dismissal and that lots of students are stressed on a different kind of level there with a high attrition rate. Is there any truth to this?

The passing score for all tests is 75%. While this can appear to be off putting, it prepares you for being able to absorb tons of knowledge and filter what is important (most commons). This is a reason for such high passrates. Board style questions are on the exams and actually a little easier from what ive heard :) Nonetheless, you are learning things to make sure you're a great clinicians. 75% is only average ;)

• Upvote 1

The passing score for all tests is 75%. While this can appear to be off putting, it prepares you for being able to absorb tons of knowledge and filter what is important (most commons). This is a reason for such high passrates. Board style questions are on the exams and actually a little easier from what ive heard :) Nonetheless, you are learning things to make sure you're a great clinicians. 75% is only average ;)

Thank you! Dr. Eskes was very open and honest about the remediation policy for the program when I asked her and I think it's very fair. Cannot wait to start at LLU!

Thank you! Dr. Eskes was very open and honest about the remediation policy for the program when I asked her and I think it's very fair. Cannot wait to start at LLU!

It is very fair. You learn to study appropriately and eventually it becomes not as painful. Don't let that scare you. They want to see you succeed and aren't looking to just make school hard for no reason. I'm excited to meet you guys soon! Enjoy this time before school. I repeat. Enjoy this TIME before school. Come in refreshed.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Tllehann
      My name is Tessa and I am currently an MA at a dermatology clinic. I am aspiring to be a PA and will be applying during the next cycle. I have worked along side PAs for about 2 years now in dermatology and have experience working in a level 1 ED. However, I am looking for any PA shadow opportunity in Arizona that is not dermatology as I want to branch out and have an understanding of what PAs do in different fields. I live in Glendale but I am willing to travel anywhere in Arizona.
      If you are a PA or know a PA or any open opportunities feel free to reach out to me on here. 
      Thank you! 

• By outontheparkway
      Hi all 

How do we go about logging volunteerhours? do we estimate them or do we need to keep a record of all our volunteer positions? Most of my volunteer work is small-time stuff scattered here and there but often enough. A fundraiser here a feeding the homeless here. I don't want the experiences to come off as forced just to get hours though. So how do we log volunteer hours on applications?

Thanks!
    • By Reskee
      I'm looking to shadow a PA in Northeast Ohio that would be willing to also write me a recommendation afterwards. I'm feeling like I'm between a rock and a hard place because my CAPSA is verified, but I have been having the hardest time with this requirement. I applied to shadow through the local hospital and have not gotten a response and they don't allow you to reach out to the PAs personally. 
      I know what a PA does, i've been seeing PAs since I was 15. This is just the technicality I need to complete. Help would be greatly appreciated!
      Thanks in advance
    • By erindrou
      Hi Guys, 
      I am a Pre-PA student and now an Ambassador for a non-profit called Building Bridges of Hope.
      LOOKING FOR VOLUNTEERS FOR MEDICAL MISSION TRIP August 11th-18th. NO MEDICAL BACKGROUND NECESSARY
      I am leading a trip to the Elisa Pina Province, Dominican Republic for a medical mission trip. We will be in the most medically underserved area of the DR. In this trip, we will spend a week in El Llano where we spend most of our days helping in mobile medical clinics and other days helping in the communities where needed. 
      The clinics will take place in very remote villages in mountains along the border of Haiti. The patients that we see are Dominican and sometimes Haitian that have walked many miles to receive care for themselves or their children. We have a station set up to assess the children for malnutrition. We then give out 1000 calorie peanut butter packets, fortified rice, and vitamins in accordance to their need.  Others will be assisting the doctor(s) and nurse(s) with whatever is needed which includes taking vitals, passing out medications, and more. The doctor will be holding consultations with the patients. 
      For the community aspect, we spend one day in the preschool the nonprofit made to help lower the malnutrition in the area, where most affected are preschool age because they are left at home alone while their parents are working. My last trip helped at a preschool and painted, other groups have built bunk beds for a family or help elsewhere in the community.
      IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, OR WANT MORE INFORMATION- or know someone that is interested, I have a few more spots open on my trip. 
      email me at emd007@aquinas.edu or text me 989-309-0011
      bbohdr.org (non-profits website) 
      Thanks! 
      Erin

• By paapplicant2018
      Hi all! I am really struggling narrowing down the list of schools I want to apply to. I have already weeded out those that don't offer a masters, those where I do not fit the pre-requisites, and those that are too rural. I am not picky on location, but I would like to be somewhere suburban or urban. I also would like to be somewhere that the clinical rotations are not a very far drive (I am having trouble figuring this out because it is not explicitly listed on most schools' websites). I am mostly struggling to eliminate schools because I am worried about not getting in. I graduate this semester from a great school and will be applying as soon as the application is released. I am most concerned with my limited shadowing hours and limited service to under-represented populations. Here are my stats for applications:

3.63 GPA, Physiology major that has taken many upper-level biology courses, only alarming grades are C+ in Organic Chem 2 LAB and Gen Chem 2 LAB (My last 64 hour GPA is higher), only 18 shadowing hours (going to get 8 more hopefully before application), probably about 200 community service hrs (haven't fully calculated), 3-5 strong letters of rec lined up, 150 Verbal GRE, 157 Quant, 4.5 Writing, and roughly 3,000 clinical hours before matriculation. 

I am extremely worried about getting in, and this is making it difficult to narrow my options. I would like to apply to schools that I think I have a realistic chance of getting into. The following are the schools I am interested in. Does anyone have any advice on narrowing down my search? I have over 60 schools listed that I would consider applying for, but the following are my favorites:

University of Utah, University of Colorado, Arcadia University, Rush University, Mercer University, Butler, LSU, Augsburg University, PCOM, DeSales University, Penn State, UT San Antonio, Elon, MCPHS, Emory, UT Southwestern, Baylor and Eastern Virginia Medical. 

Please please please any help or advice is welcome! I am so stressed!! 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More