AAPA Conference Boston

who is going? I just booked my tix. hotels are filling up fast. most are > 1200 dollars for 4 nights(!).

with a little searching on booking.com I found a nice hotel within 1 mile(walking distance) for less than 600 bucks for 4 nights with continental breakfast.

I hate paying conference rates for hotels. it's not worth 300/night for a room you will only sleep in. I'm happy to stay in a motel 6 or equivalent and walk a few blocks to save a thousand dollars. if a bunch of us go let's try to set up a pa forum get together like we do at sempa every year.

• 2 months later...

I live in Boston and very close to where the conference will be, but I just can't afford it. $170 or the daily rate of $85 is just beyond my budget. :/ I am an AAPA member but even the discount didn't make it affordable.

Please let me know if you all are getting together one evening for drinks or a meet-up. I'd love to meet some of you in person.

I'll be there and would love to join a meet up. Harpoon sounds like a good idea.

For those on a budget, I'm staying here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/hostelling-international-boston#query:boston%20hostel

Yeah, I know. But when you are a student, Boston hotels are very unfriendly.

unfriendly is not the word.......   stupid expensive is

I was pretty disappointed with AAPA picking Boston - it simply is not a friendly city to try and visit - driving is horrible, parking is worse, and everything is crazy expensive.

Of all the places they could have picked this is just about the worst in New England....  And I had been excited to go to a 'close' AAPA conference.

AAPA needs to realize a lot of us PA's are not city folks and would be more drawn to a slightly smaller setting - or even better yet how about somewhere like Stow VT

Stow isn't big enough Ventana. You have to remember, between PAs, students, vendors, family members, etc. Most AAPA conferences have between 10 and 15 thousand people coming to a town (IIRC). We need a large location with multiple hotels, and a large conference center. 

I don't see this changing. Vegas, Boston, DC, New Orleans, Atlanta, San Diego, etc. are going to be the locations of choice for the Academy going forward.

Mike

In Boston 10/2013 love the city. Find transportation easy. A ton of hotels (granted they aren't free).... Coming from Tampa where there really is no easy way to get anywhere Boston seems like a nice pick... Vegas would be better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stow isn't big enough Ventana. You have to remember, between PAs, students, vendors, family members, etc. Most AAPA conferences have between 10 and 15 thousand people coming to a town (IIRC). We need a large location with multiple hotels, and a large conference center. 

I don't see this changing. Vegas, Boston, DC, New Orleans, Atlanta, San Diego, etc. are going to be the locations of choice for the Academy going forward.

Mike

thats to bad

I can't see $200+ per night for motel, then all the expenses on top of it - but that just must be me 

I also don't see the 10-15k per the data that AAPA publishes in 2013       http://www.aapa.org/uploadedFiles/content/Events/Annual_Conference/Resource_Items/AdvRegBro_IMPACT2013.pdf

which say expecting 6000 attendees - yes some come with family - but my hunch is that mostly it is just the PA

disclaimer - I have exactly ZERO experience with any type of conference planning and I have no idea about planning, numbers, needs - just my opinion that these huge cities are not great for me - expensive and prohibitive 

The official hotels are always expensive, but using third party booking sites is a cheaper option. Priceline bidding, hotwire, hotels.com, etc. I saved about $100 per night at last year's conference that way. It just meant a longer walk to the conference center.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Archived