Dropped out of a PA program

I was wondering if anyone knows if Western or Loma Linda would consider your application if you were in another program? 

Here's my situation, I started RCC's program and I was one of the 9 people that were failed out in the first semester (only 21 student started, only 12 left). The program has gone down hill. The people running it do not support the students, and have no clue what they are doing. As a result 100% of the students failed the Cardiology exam, and more then half failed 3-4 other exams. Anyways, I am considering going to another program but I am worried the D on my transcript may prevent this from happening. I am a hard worker and believed in this program until I saw how it was being run. I got very poor education and feel very let down because I gave up everything to start this program. I am hoping to finish my prerequisites for another program and re-apply some where else. I don't know how to explain what happened at RCC during a potential interview. I've tried to come up with some explanation so I can take accountability, but it's hard when it was so clear that it wasn't the students. Any advice or recommendations would be welcome.

It seems rather unusual that almost half a class would fail the first semester. It would reflect poorly on the school for either doing a poor job at the admissions level or a poor job of teaching. How competitive was your original application? Assuming you have a competitive application, have you considered trying to set up appointments to discuss your situation with the admissions directors of the other schools? Also, what does your school have to say about the situation? Does their story match yours? You really need advice from an admissions director. If there is anyone else on this forum that failed out and got admitted elsewhere, I would love to hear their story.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

I agree with the above.

You might also want to ask yourself if this is something you would want to discuss in your personal statement.

While I can't comment on how to explain this tough situation as it seems fairly specific to you and your classmates. I did attend interviews for both Loma Linda and Western this cycle and LLU will without a doubt ask about dropping out of another program. On the flip side, all you need to do to get to Western's interview is have GPAs (cumulative, science, and pre-req) over 3.4. Hopefully your GPA was not hit too hard by the recent D's on your transcript. If Western's interview next year is anything like it was this year they won't ask you any specifics from your application. Everyone got four very general questions. Although that doesn't mean they won't look at your whole application when making final decisions.

Sorry this happened to you and I wish you the best.

An issue you may sadly experience is that while your future applications will contain evidence of you exiting another program, they will not contain strong evidence of a high failure rate.  The program may even actively work against you to obfuscate their high failure rate, citing confidentiality policies or whatnot if pressured.  I feel you will need tangible evidence of what occurred while staying professional and not appearing overly embittered by the experience.  I would try to discuss the issue with paadmissions via PM.

I've been round and round with the school. The administrators keep falling back on "academic freedom". The problem is that because of the lack of support I don't want to return to that program. I feel I had a strong application, good grades, I know the right people which translated into great recommendation letters. Im not sure what to do. It took me a long time to get all my classes and work experience, now I feel empty and all that work was for nothing. The facts are that half the class failed out, the school is on probation with the accrediting agency and now there's all these grievances filed. My guess is that the school will be shut down soon, which is sad because this program is so desperately needed. 

Assuming I go forward and submit my application to another school and get an interview. Im not ashamed to state facts, and the facts are that half the class failed out the first semester because of poor education and a lack of support. Rumor is that the 12 that are left aren't doing well and more may fail out in the next month or so. Im sure by the time I re-apply the whole PA school community will get wind of this situation.

Hello-

I have been cruising this site for the last couple of days and the one thing I noticed is that there are program directors and students from some of the Cali programs on the forum.  My advice is to do what you have to do, but making your info public might not be a great idea.  You identified your school, so it would be very easy to match your application to your post.

Just a monkey's take

Archived