CHANCE ME .......PA SCHOOL

Her GPA might be a little low from the average of some programs, but her competitiveness depends on where she wants to apply and many factors besides just her GPA. I'm not sure what blemishes she has that you referred to, but her hours are good for many schools.

As far as her personal statement, if she can tie her race and being bullied into her motivations for entering the profession than I don't see how that would be a problem. Legally, schools cannot discriminate against her... the excerpts below are from the CASPA and Yale websites, and every other school I applied to had a similar statement on their webpage. 

"The Physician Assistant Education Association and the Central Application Service for Physician Assistants do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, creed, religion, national origin, marital status, age, or handicap. Such information on the application forms is requested for the purpose of gathering and reporting applicant flow data, or to confirm information used to process the application."

"The Yale Physician Associate Program is committed to the principles of equal opportunity in education. In accordance with Yale University nondiscrimination policy and Yale School of Medicine nondiscrimination policy, the Physician Associate Program does not discriminate in admissions against individuals on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, disability, illness, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, veteran status, national or ethnic origin, or socioeconomic background. There are no specific policies or practices that favor specific groups of applicants. Each application is reviewed and the merits are considered individually."

I think your "friend" has a very good chance of getting into pa school and doesn't need to apply to 20 programs, 5 would probably do. also would not mention being an Arab, etc as your friend's grades and experience do not need "explaining away". that is for folks with substandard grades. Don't expect programs to be racist.

I don't see anything wrong with her chances but she really needs to quit seeing herself as a victim. PA schools are not racist. I can't speak for every individual on every admissions committee but I would love to know what makes her think this way.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

Lmao she really is my friend she didn't want to go on this forum because it's gets her anxious.

PLEASE give us a break. This it's a very friendly and supportive forum. We don't see each other face-to-face and you can sign off whenever you want. If this makes her anxious, she is dead in the water come interview time.

I told her this..... She's not just Arab shes half Palestinian, she follows event over there and she's worried people will judge her on her stance

Then tell her not to discuss her politics. I am on very friendly terms with a female Iranian nurse who is a committed liberal while I am a staunch conservative, as are most of her co-workers. We enjoy talking to her and appreciate her for who she is. No one dislikes her for her race, national origin or political views. Americans are really not as racist as the media would like you to believe. Your friend may have a difficult time if she tries to disparage Israel everytime she opens her mouth, but if she feels that way she doesn't need to talk about it. Right? Don't ask, don't tell. Tell her to just be a good human being. That's all anyone really cares about.

PA programs like diversity and your friend's grades and experience would make her competitive in lots of schools. My major concern is that her feeling that someone might discriminate against her could sabotage her performance in an PA school interview. If she imagines that everyone is out to get her, then it might be hard for her to not come off as stiff and paranoid.

PAs deal with the total spectrum of our civilization. I happen to live in the city with the second largest Somali population in the US (after Minneapolis). There are lots of small mosques, stores with Halal products, and the like. I have Palestinian patients.

I am Jewish, which is no biggie and does not interfere in any way with care for our patients. I have no idea exactly what they think of me, but we seem to get along just fine. I did have a Somali lady at the end of her office visit Tuesday say a prayer that I would convert to her religion. I smiled and wished her well.

Your friend's background is just that: a background. I recommend that she just act professional and try not to worry about what some people might think of her. Most people will judge her on her own actions.

UGoLong touches on an interesting point. Any discrimination is more likely to come from patients than schools, employers and colleagues. Your friend needs to rise above that. We all have to earn respect and that will be tough to do if she is overly sensitive to how she thinks people perceive her race, religion or heritage, as opposed to how they perceive her as a professional.

Archived