Does this school fit me?

Hello, I am a student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and am planning to become a PA but do not know which of the 5 schools (I don't plan on going to Malcom X) would best fit my personality and my learning style.

In terms of how I would like the learning style to be:

- not too fast paced or hard to keep up in where I will feel drained and very stressed out. I have anxiety disorder so I'm trying to find a school where the class and assignment schedule is balanced and not hard enough where I will be ripping my hair out.

-for there to be opportunities to practice what I learn in an interactive setting, whether it be computer-based or face-to-face interaction with my peers and teachers.

--I would also like the school to have ample resources to where I can get help needed for something and that will allow me to be successful 

Again, for me one of the most important points is for the curriculum to not be so fast-paced, overwhelming since I have anxiety disorder and easily get stressed out.

Thank you! 

I have not started PA school yet (I will be attending RFUMS in May) so the only insights I can give you are from my interviews experiences and from what I gathered at informational settings. I applied to four programs in IL: RFUMS, Northwestern, SIU, and Midwestern. I chose to not apply to Rush because I did not want to go there (or pay) for three years if I didn't have to...so I don't know anything about that program. I interviewed at RFUMS, Northwestern, and SIU...I was offered an interview to Midwestern but turned it down (so I also don't know too much about Midwestern).

Overall, I chose RFUMS because I liked it the best....it isn't the closest to where I live which makes things a little complicated, but I was incredibly impressed with the program at both the informational visit days that I attended and then also at my interview. The interview itself was actually very relaxed (not intimidating), and everyone I met there whether they be faculty or current students were so nice and welcoming. RFUMS definitely had more of a community feel. And even though the students said that the curriculum was tough...they all seemed happy. Which I took as a very good sign! Furthermore, the facilities at RFUMS were amazing! Every time I was on campus I had this feeling like "I could really see myself here". I also know that there didactic curriculum is more traditional (lecture based) than some other programs in IL.

I was also accepted at SIU...I don't want to say anything bad about the program because I don't think it's a bad program...however, after my interview there I definitely knew that it was not the right place for me. Both SIU and Northwestern teach using PBL (problem-based learning) so you have to REALLY like that style in order to be successful at either school. PBL utilizes small groups with an instructor to help guide the discussion...but basically a group of students work together on a problem and learn through self-discovery and from each other. There is very little or no lecture at all at these two schools.....PBL was not for me lol but I highly encourage you to do more research into PBL if you are planning on applying to either of those programs....just so you can see if it is right for you...I definitely prefer the traditional lecture-based format...The only other thing I can say is that after meeting with the current SIU students, they seemed the most stressed out out of all the students I met at all the schools I visited....they had a meet and greet the night before the interview day and although they were very nice to us, they basically complained the whole time about professors and how much work they had...they didn't seem happy which made me really nervous about that particular program.....However, the Northwestern students seemed very happy with their program....they just said the same thing about PBL...don't go there unless you are into PBL.

I think no matter where you go, it's going to be fast paced and stressful...I think that is just kind of the nature of going to PA school...and that's what everyone has been telling me lol...but if it's really something you want to do then I think you will be able to get through it.....My best advice is to go to informational visit days for the different programs and kind of feel them out....Being on the different campuses and meeting the current students helped me to decide where I wanted to go.

Hope that helped a little....

Hey elevit3,

I am currently a PA student at RFUMS. I am an older student (late twenties) but I did go straight into a post-professional Master's program in Athletic Training right after I graduated...so I do know what it's like to enter a rigorous academic program straight out of undergrad. My biggest concern in reading your post and it seems it is your biggest concern as well, was the amount of anxiety you seem to experience with school in general. PA school as a whole, regardless of the program that you attend, will be an incredibly humbling, exciting, and exhausting experience. Although there are younger students in my class, they are also students who knew exactly what they wanted, and knew that they absolutely wanted to be PAs. In order for anyone to enter a PA program, younger or more advanced in age, you have to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is what you want to do. Because to be honest, this is not a field or program for everyone. If you do not like what you are learning, you will be incredibly stressed out. The key to staying sane during PA school is knowing that you will be charged with completing more work and deciphering more concepts than you have ever been tasked with. There are weekly tests. I'll give you an example of the week that I am currently in. This week we have no tests...and this is the first week I think that has happened since August. Next week, we have three exams, one on Monday and two on Tuesday. For the duration of this week, we also happen to have class from 8-5, aside from one day that starts at 10...if you weren't part of the group that is seeing a geriatric patient at the VA from 8-10 on that day. The following week after the three test week is finals where we have five exams in three days.

I'm not saying these things to scare you. I'm saying them so that you know what to expect. Having been a clinical instructor in Athletic Training for the past six years, I don't like to discourage people from entering the medical field in some way, but if you find that it isn't for you, then you should not enter it. The first thing you need to do is ensure that you are taking care of yourself before you can care for others with an objective and empathetic mind. It might help you to shadow a PA and have an honest conversation about what their days look like, how they achieve work life/balance and how they effectively made it through school. It's important to then be honest with yourself and see if you can imagine yourself as a PA and then if you can, you will put the work in to become a PA. I hope this helps! Best wishes as you determine what your next step is.

So if I get easily stressed out, should I rethink becoming a PA in general??

If this is really what you want to do then I think it is worth it....You just have to know going into it that it is going to stressful so that you are prepared for it. Also, I don't really know your background or anything...but sometimes counseling can help a lot with coping mechanisms and stress control.

• 2 weeks later...

There are PA programs out there that may meet your requirements. If becoming a PA is important to you I would definitely research schools before determining whether or not this profession would be a good fit for you. I did not attend an information session at Augsburg and cannot confirm this to be true, but I have read that it is a three year program intended to provide sufficient work/life balance. Other three year programs may be structured similarly so that may be worth looking into. I did go to an info session at Saint Catherine University and found that they have a more interactive/group work approach to learning. So there are potentially PA schools out there that will combine your listed criteria.

One idea to consider is taking a difficult course load one semester and seeing how you handle curriculum. Obviously there are downsides to this method and I am not necessarily recommending it, but a PA student at my last interview said this is how she was able to determine she would be ready for PA school.

Good luck!

Hey elevit3,

I am currently a PA student at RFUMS. I am an older student (late twenties) but I did go straight into a post-professional Master's program in Athletic Training right after I graduated...so I do know what it's like to enter a rigorous academic program straight out of undergrad. My biggest concern in reading your post and it seems it is your biggest concern as well, was the amount of anxiety you seem to experience with school in general. PA school as a whole, regardless of the program that you attend, will be an incredibly humbling, exciting, and exhausting experience. Although there are younger students in my class, they are also students who knew exactly what they wanted, and knew that they absolutely wanted to be PAs. In order for anyone to enter a PA program, younger or more advanced in age, you have to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is what you want to do. Because to be honest, this is not a field or program for everyone. If you do not like what you are learning, you will be incredibly stressed out. The key to staying sane during PA school is knowing that you will be charged with completing more work and deciphering more concepts than you have ever been tasked with. There are weekly tests. I'll give you an example of the week that I am currently in. This week we have no tests...and this is the first week I think that has happened since August. Next week, we have three exams, one on Monday and two on Tuesday. For the duration of this week, we also happen to have class from 8-5, aside from one day that starts at 10...if you weren't part of the group that is seeing a geriatric patient at the VA from 8-10 on that day. The following week after the three test week is finals where we have five exams in three days.

I'm not saying these things to scare you. I'm saying them so that you know what to expect. Having been a clinical instructor in Athletic Training for the past six years, I don't like to discourage people from entering the medical field in some way, but if you find that it isn't for you, then you should not enter it. The first thing you need to do is ensure that you are taking care of yourself before you can care for others with an objective and empathetic mind. It might help you to shadow a PA and have an honest conversation about what their days look like, how they achieve work life/balance and how they effectively made it through school. It's important to then be honest with yourself and see if you can imagine yourself as a PA and then if you can, you will put the work in to become a PA. I hope this helps! Best wishes as you determine what your next step is.

Hi svonholten

Where are most of the clinical rotations for the second year done and do you have any influence in where you are placed? Are they mainly at the hospital beside the campus? Are there a fair number of rotations in the city of Chicago or Milwaukee? 

I had an interview today and it sounds like you can submit your ideal clinical rotation, but that may or may not be honored depending on schedule availability. The students also said that there are a wide variety of in patient and out patient clinical sites both in the area of the school and in the city of Chicago.

Hey paclass2016!

As far as rotations go, what we do is submit a "preference" form, or an initial consideration form. You delineate the region where you anticipate living (ie Evanston, Chicago, Libertyville) and then you will be placed in "local" clinical sites and "local" is considered within 90 minutes drive time in moderate traffic. We have quite a few people who do rotations in the city and the surrounding areas. You can also put on your form how many of those rotations you would be willing to travel. Now, the travel sites are really just ones that have already been established by the school but we have some sites in Colorado, Michigan, Indiana, etc. Your electives are where you can do "student-initiated" rotations, so if you had a clinic, say, in California that you really wanted to work at and you did the leg work and were able to set up all the necessary paperwork and stuff, you could do that for an elective. Hope that helps!

Staci

Archived