Wound care salaries

So, negotiations today didn't result in resounding success - yet.  But almost literally as soon as I got out of the board meeting, I got a call about a potential job in wound care at a local critical access hospital.  I have no experience in wound care, but the statement was, "they're desparate."

I need to know what to expect when walking into this.  Is this considered a surgical subspecialty?  How much general medicine will I get to do in wound care?  I assume it's procedure based.  I've never been interested in this in the past, would really only consider it to get my foot in the door, probably (though I can't say this for sure).  They have a budding hospitalist PA program and have been considering putting a PA in their ER, though haven't done either full-tilt just yet. 

Any input on the role of a wound care PA would be most appreciated. 

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

Andrew & GetMeOutta: I hope I am not to late in answering this, but my mentor who is a MD specializes in wound care. Her clinic provides state-of-the-art care for difficult healing wounds of every description, including diabetic foot ulcers, pressure ulcers, venous leg ulcers, arterial ulcers, non-healing surgical and traumatic wounds, wounds due to sickle cell anemia or vasculitis, and many other challenging problems. She uses a treatment called Hyerbaric Oxygen Therapy for all her pts. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy involves exposing the body to 100% oxygen at a pressure that is greater than what you normally experience. Wounds need oxygen to heal properly, and exposing a wound to 100% oxygen can, in many cases, speed the healing process she believes. If anyone like to know more PM me.

HBT cures all ills (need to do a study on hangovers).  Unfortunately the facility where the position that I'm aware of that will be coming available doesn't have one.  There was actually a PA position posted in my neck of the woods several months back for a HBT PA position.  I was otherwise occupied at the time so I didn't bother looking into it.

Archived