1st job offer, is this salary fair?

I did post this in the state specific section, but then I realized that it probably wouldn't get as much viewing there, so I thought I would ask the question here.  

I am a new grad of 1 month and just received my first job offer. It is with a pediatric orthopedic surgery practice. I was just wondering about the starting base salary they were offering and I thought it was a little low, even with the package they were offering, what do you all think??? they are offering me upper $70's starting base salary, 100% health & dental insurance, but the attractive thing is that they have a profit sharing plan where they contribute 20% of your salary each year and I would not have to contribute anything at all for my retirement plan. I become eligible for the program after 1 year on the job and then become 20% vested each year until after 5 years in the program (end of my 6th working year) I become 100% vested. 

I am in the central Florida region, and I realize that this is not the highest area for salary, but even with the great profit sharing plan is the starting base salary in the upper 70's still a little low for a new grad in a surgical specialty area of practice??? I will have to do a little call each month but not all that much, we have residents that take on a big portion of the call load. I may have 4 or so week days of call a month (7am-7am) but then I get the next day off after call, and I may have 1 weekend of call every 2 months or so.    

Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have you looked at the AAPA salary survey?  It's been posted on the forum. 

Yes I did see and review the new AAPA report that just was released. The employer of course pushes the profit sharing plan as a positive selling point. Also, of course, they say that this area is not the highest area for salary. When they asked what base salary I was thinking, I said something with at least an 8 in front, they then said that they could no way pay that for a new grad, that is way to much for a new grad with no experience. They also said that the AAPA salary report is a bit high with their numbers, being a PA run organization.

city workers (sanitation, police, fire man) make moe than that and require little more than a high school diploma. your years of sacrifice should be worth more than that

They will pay whatever they can get someone to work for.  The AAPA numbers are not inflated - they are reports of what people make, not what they want to be making.  I recommend that you do a little google-fu and see if you can find some MGMA data on orthopedic surgical PAs (usually the MGMA is what they're going off of).  And MGMA data is right on for some things, not even close for others (like ortho surgery PAs). 

The only way I would consider this position is if they agree to a performance review with a raise that gets you into that "8-,000" range after 6-9 months if you're performing the job as desired. 

Here's the rub on surgical specialties and MGMA data: billing/collections can be crap because you don't get credit for the pre-op exam, rounds in the hospital, and any post-op follow-ups because these are wrapped up in "global fees," and are not RVU specific.  The surgeon gets credit for all of it because he/she is the boss and does the surgery and it's billed under his name.  In fact, you're doing nearly 1/2 of the work as a surgical PA when you pre-op them, round on them, get them stable and discharged, and then follow-up with them in the office.  The only thing the surgeon HAS to do is cut (granted that takes a *LOT* of training).  For a $1,700 procedure, your work is valuable to the tune of $700 or thereabouts.  Those are collections that should be credited to you, not the surgeon, but it's a "global fee" so no separation occurs and the doc gets all $1,700.  So...  Don't let the MGMA sell you short. 

Andrew

Andrew

if there is good mentoring take it! (salary is a little low)

CME and PTO need to get addressed- and should have 2500 CME and 4 weeks vacation, one week CME, pay for all license,

They need to pay for full malpractice insurance (including tail of they are a claims made) but the way around this is to have verbage they they will provide malpractice coverage in your contract

I was promised that there would be good mentoring

PTO is 3 weeks plus 7 National holiday days off

They verbally said I would get CME when I asked, but nothing is in writing; also there is no days off for CME

they will pay for all licenses 

I would be covered by their malpractice 

Lastly, they say they don't really have a "contract" so to speak, they say it is an at will job ( I can leave whenever I want and I could be let go at any time as well)

When they asked what base salary I was thinking, I said something with at least an 8 in front, they then said that they could no way pay that for a new grad, that is way to much for a new grad with no experience.

FYI, negotiation should be taken as seriously as you take your studies. 

The main tactical error in this exchange is...you NEVER mention the number first.

They immediately won.

Games, set, match.

game lost, set is ? match is still in play

salary is what it is

but having at least 3 days for CME (ask for 5) is mandatory - say something like this - "I am a new grad an it is obviously important for me to continue my learning both on the job and in the class room so it only makes sense for me to have days off to attend conferences"

PTO of 3 weeks STINKS - unacceptable - this breaks down into 5 sick days and 10 vacation days and no personal days

counter with something like this "obviously I will be working very hard and am in a very different category of employee and nationally PAs get 3-4 weeks of vacation, a week of sick and personal time" 

Also, be aware the 7 NATIONAL holiday is the lowest I have ever heard of - the cheap employers give 9 but most in my area have 11 - they are making you work another week for free

I would just be honest with them and provide the AAPA salary data along with what you are asking for.  Surgery works a lot and therefor you should have a fair chunk of time off - also be aware that if them lump everything to PTO you have to include everything..... ie vacation, sick, personal,holidays,  and CME if they do not have it split out differently.  A reasonable package for total PTO is as follows

Vacation: 4-5 weeks

Personal/Sick: 5 days

Holidays: 11 days

Then CME should be 3-5 days.

Oh yeah BTW the orthos usually take 5-8 weeks off a year, have about $5000 CME, so don't feel bad asking for merely 50% of that....

And they should be paying for close to 100% of health care for family (especially since your pay rate is on the bottom end of reasonable)

If they will not budge on anything cause you are a new grad - then negotiate pre determined raises as you become experienced and are no longer a new grad.   $10k per year for 3 years to get you over 100k in 3 years

Archived