HCE - Hope Network

I am going on a second interview for Hope Network this week. This position is direct care of clients in an approved AFC home. 16 beds. Will GVSU see this as direct care hours? I can't see why not as it is hands on care of a person who needs physical and mental support. Thank you for your input in advance!

Melissa

I think it will count, but my advice would be to contact GVSU directly and ask. When I was going through the application process I spoke with Darlene Zwart and she was very helpful in answering any questions I had.

In general I think it is more about showing what you have learned through the direct care hours than in what specific capacity you gained those hours. 

• 3 weeks later...

I emailed Darlene and got a response saying that although paid experience is beneficial to the application, unpaid/volunteer experience or working directly with a PA is what they are really looking for. They want the applicant to have first hand knowledge of what a PA does on a day-to-day basis.

So, I got the job working 16 hours a week. I will be volunteering with a couple of local non-profit clinics that employ several (2-6) PA's and hopefully find a couple of private practice PA's to shadow as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Houston! I finally feel like I am making the right choices. When we moved in October, I worried. I know it sounds weird, but I've had deja vu a couple of times a week since moving to this city that I didn't know at all. It just feels like this is where I'm supposed to be. Now I have this job, am working on getting some leads for PA shadowing, have commencement in May for my associates and got accepted into the school for my bachelors.

I am so excited and hope that I can continue feeling like this until I get accepted!

Archived