The KEY to getting into PA school

Howdy, folks. This forum has been very helpful as I have been navigating the process of getting into PA school (I'll start PA school this year). I've learned a few things along the way and wanted to help someone else on their journey. 

From my experience, having a BALANCED APPLICATION is the key to getting in. Nobody's application is perfect, despite what you may think after lurking on this forum for a while. So, how do you make your imperfect application stand out from the thousands of other imperfect applications you are up against? Here's a couple of case studies to bring this to life. 

Case A: You have less healthcare experience (this was me)

I am a career changer that wanted to get into PA school quickly and efficiently. So, I didn't have thousands of HCE hours when I submitted my CASPA app - I had about 750, which is closer to 2,000 now. Knowing that I didn't have the ideal number of HCE hours, I knew I would need a solid GPA, stellar letters of recommendation, enough PA shadowing, a killer personal statement, impressive interviews, decent GRE, etc.  

Case B: You have a lower GPA 

For some reason or another, your GPA isn't as impressive as you'd like it to be. If your GPA is really low (e.g., 3.0 or lower), you may need to retake some classes or take on some upper level courses to prove that you are academically capable of handling the rigors of PA school. If your GPA is not really low, but is relatively low to the average of those getting accepted, then you'd be wise to boost other areas of your application. A lot of high quality HCE, awesome letters of recommendation, a killer personal statement, etc., etc.  

Hopefully you can see what I mean by 'balancing your application' now. Bottom line: try not to let any one aspect of your application take you out of the running, and give admissions committees reasons to forgive any less-than-ideal area of your application by shining in as many other areas as possible. 

Best of luck to all and I hope the hard/smart work pays off. 

... having a BALANCED APPLICATION is the key to getting in. Nobody's application is perfect, despite what you may think after lurking on this forum for a while ...

This is the truth. To those who are looking to apply soon, please get it out of your head now that you need a perfect application. Of course, you do need a strong and well-rounded one, but not perfect. After you've done all you can and submitted that application, cut yourself some slack and think positive.

I had the privilege of meeting Nate at a PA program interview back east. He is a good guy and has given sound advice.

I also recommend that if you have a concern about something - try to get some feedback from the programs you are applying to, attend information sessions, etc. Most programs will give you honest and helpful direction.

Excellent advice. I have one thing to add in terms of the "balanced" individual. Make sure that balance comes off and is portrayed in an interview. As a future PA, you will be met with many different patients with such varied backgrounds and interests. Be an interesting person with varied interests and things will go well. Be able to relate to people.

For example, things that were discussed in my interviews: ethical/philosophical debates, very basic health law, favorite foods, the 2013 boston red sox (haha).

My point is, when things outside the healthcare realm come up, you dont want to be that interviewee who just nods and agrees. Be able to converse about a wide range of topics. Show them that not only are you intellgent and driven to become a PA, but that you are someone they would enjoy having as a colleague some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent advice. I have one thing to add in terms of the "balanced" individual. Make sure that balance comes off and is portrayed in an interview. As a future PA, you will be met with many different patients with such varied backgrounds and interests. Be an interesting person with varied interests and things will go well. Be able to relate to people.

For example, things that were discussed in my interviews: ethical/philosophical debates, very basic health law, favorite foods, the 2013 boston red sox (haha).

My point is, when things outside the healthcare realm come up, you dont want to be that interviewee who just nods and agrees. Be able to converse about a wide range of topics. Show them that not only are you intellgent and driven to become a PA, but that you are someone they would enjoy having as a colleague some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely. We talked A LOT about my work background (I'm a career changer with a BA in studio art) and hobbies in my interviews. My advice is not to stress about being a nontraditional applicant- I'm still waiting to hear back after my interview this past week but I definitely got the impression that my being a nontrad applicant was a huge plus for them. It absolutely felt like they were assessing me as a future colleague and someone who could contribute to a diverse, collaborative class.

I have a bunch of low grades and a bunch of W's on my transcript from a time before I even knew what a PA was. This forum makes me feel hopeless at times. Sigh...

I have three Fs, a D, a C or two, and plenty of Ws on my undergrad transcripts.  I'll be a PA later this year.  It's doable as long as your act is together now.  

Archived