Sign in to follow this  
Alexander85

A little help please

Hey guys, I have somewhat of a high quality problem: I've gotten into three schools of which I like Pacific U the most, mainly because of the didactic systems approach, the staff, and because the program starts in May. But here's the rub, I was offered an interview at Duke in Feb, so my question is, how much weight should I give to the ratings? Should I even spend the money going on the Duke interview if I really like the program at Pacific? Thanks in advance for the help! 

There are so many personal factors to take into consideration here, which the rest of us know nothing about. Where do you live? Where do you want to work after PA school? Do you have plenty of dough to burn on the Duke interview or are you eating Ramen as we type? We can't answer those questions for you. 

That being said: If you are absolutely certain that Pacific is what you want, then don't sweat the Duke interview. But, if there's a chance that 10 years from now you could be thinking, "Man, I wonder how things would be if I would have gone to the Duke interview?", I would go. ***Cliche warning*** What's the worst that could happen? 

• Upvote 1

If you want to to pacific why bother w Duke? I was accepted to UC Davis, and the next day got an interview with Duke as well. I decided to not attend the interview, because I was set on Davis. I chose Davis because of the connections I would be able to create during school. Wasn't fond of going to NC then having to return to Cali without any job connects. Don't put ANY weight on ratings. NONE. Doesn't mean anything. Put in the work and the hours and you will be as successful as you want to be. Trust me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Many students attend Duke and never leave because the PA laws are so favorable in NC. However, there are tons of new schools in NC and therefore lots of new grads/job competition.

• Upvote 1

While Duke is certainly a good school, the overall rating system for PA programs is suspect. From what I've seen, the "C" at the end of "PA-C" is what matters. 

There are so many personal factors that should influence where you go to school that probably overwhelm everything else. The faculty, the program structure, the clinical sites, the cost, being near (or not near) your family, a chance to plug into the local job scene, etc.

Be happy and best of luck.

• Upvote 2

Simple question: would you rather live and train in Oregon or North Carolina?

I have very little idea about the current price tags of either program. I am a Pacific alum (2000) and pretty darn proud that our little program is considered in the same breath as Duke. We were totally unknown when I matriculated and graduated as a PUPA (somebody in my class coined that phrase lol).

You can't go wrong in either place. Nice problem to have--best wishes to you!

• Upvote 1

agree with what has been said above:

where do you want to train/work in the future? (can you deal with the endless rain and seasonal affective d/o of portland?)

if you are looking at a future in academics, health policy, or are planning on continuing on to a doctorate Duke (as it is a big name school and the birthplace of the pa profession) might get you more bang for your buck than pacific but you can likely get to either final destination as a grad of either school. good luck whatever you decide.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By sacharle
      There is an awesome organization called ThePAC (Physician Assistants of Color) that holds diversity events in multiple cities across the U.S. The next one will be in Detroit, Michigan on September 28, 2019. The event is a great opportunity for all three levels of the profession! https://www.eventbrite.com/e/thepac-takes-detroit-tickets-70091765357
      Pre-PAs get to talk directly to program directors from the local/surrounding region (this event will have 7), and get specific advice about their application profile from programs directly as well as experienced PA students and PA-Cs. 
      PA-S  and PA-C get to fraternize and network with each other as well as tap into resources such as job recruiters, financial advisors, and transition to practice information. 
      There are always lots of giveaways such as medical equipment, PANCE/PANRE prep, discounts on scrub companies, and more. 
      This event is open to any and everyone no matter the race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, etc. 
      If you cannot attend this event, give them a follow on IG @thepa.c or FB 'Physician Assistants of Color' so you can get notified of when the next event/location will be. 

• By Marcelih
      Hello everyone,
      I have an interview this week at Campbell University (NC), and this will be my first PA interview. What advice would give for PA interviews? Should we be familiar in some ethical issues in the medical field? Commonly asked questions?
      Thanks!
      MH
    • By jennnrenaeee
      How long does it take the schools to recieve the GRE scores after you’ve taken the test?
    • By aksidoti
      Hi everyone! I knew that Duke's supplemental application would be a beast, but I was just curious if anyone had experience with the patient care and shadowing tabs? Here is what I am struggling with: 
      - PATIENT CARE: can the description be the same as on my CASPA? And what exactly should I be putting for the agreeable and disagreeable aspects of my responsibilities? 
      - Shadowing: can I put the same descriptions as my CASPA? 
      Thanks guys! Best of luck to everyone!
    • By Asok15
      Hi folks, this is my first time here and I'm in need of advice!! So I graduated from The George Washington University with a BS in Public Health (GPA something around 3.4). I enrolled in the MPH program at BU but due to significant mental health struggles I ended up doing quite poorly. I was originally full time, went down to part time, and then decided to withdraw; I completed the classes I was enrolled in and got 2 Bs and 2B-. After some soul-searching and getting back to myself I have decided I want to become a PA but I'm afraid having withdrawn from this MPH program is going to be a huge strike against me, what do you think?

From my research; what I need to do to become a competitive candidate is
      1.  acquire ~1000 HCE hours
      2. shadow PAs
      3. complete my science prerequisites with a good GPA
      4. volunteer in community healthcare settings
      5. attain some sort of Spanish medical terminology proficiency being that I did my minor in Spanish. Does anyone know of some?

My plan for attaining HCE hours is to take free CNA classes through a center that guarantees placement afterward. Regarding the prerequisites, I took 1 biology class during undergrad so I will need to take biology II, microbiology, chemistry I & II, A&P I & II, organic chemistry, and genetics. I need advice about which order to take them in and whether I should take them online, hybrid through a community college, or apply to a post bac. I want to get these done as soon as possible but I want to do well. I live in MA so there are many schools I can consider for taking these classes in person; for distance/online classes I am trying to decide between MGH IHP, UNE, and Doane U. Does anyone have advice about this? This is mostly where I am stuck at now; I'm just not sure which option to choose but I hope to begin prereqs this summer. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More