PA Programs and Probation Accredidation

That's correct. Here's my understanding...

1. Graduate an ARC-PA accredited program.

2. Take and pass PANCE.

3. Apply for state license.

Someone correct me if I missed something.

Those are the steps listed on AAPA website. If that scenario happens, hopefully those students can transfer to a program that is accredited, but I'm not sure how they plays out. 

So while you can take the PANCE and be certified, finding a job or residency program would be difficult w/o a license. What are your thoughts on this?

Move to a state that isn't Maryland.

http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/gov/departments/dph/programs/hcq/dhpl/physician-assistants/licensing/licensure-information.html#1

1. What are the requirements to be a licensed Physician Assistant?

You must have a Bachelor's Degree, have graduated from a Physician Assistant program approved by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant, Inc (ARC-PA) and have taken and passed the National Commission for Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) examination.

Not true. If you matriculate to a provisional accredated program you are eligible for the PANCE.

As for probation status... I would be way more concerned with that.

Is this positive? I'm concerned about the provisional accredited programs. Can the graduates take PANCE even if the program is not accredited?

Is this positive? I'm concerned about the provisional accredited programs. Can the graduates take PANCE even if the program is not accredited?

Provisional accreditation IS accreditation.

It's a form of accreditation.

Yes, if your program is/was provisionally accredited, you can take the PANCE... if you graduate.

Provisional accreditation IS accreditation.

It's a form of accreditation.

Yes, if your program is/was provisionally accredited, you can take the PANCE... if you graduate.

Thanks! So, how much difference will be made if graduated from a provisional accreditation program or a fully accredited program? For both job employers and residency? 

Thanks! So, how much difference will be made if graduated from a provisional accreditation program or a fully accredited program? For both job employers and residency? 

According to pretty much everyone I've ever heard from, ZERO. You pass the PANCE, that is all employers look for, b/c that's what you need to work/get licensed.

• 1 year later...

Recently was accepted to an accredited program that is on probationary status from sept 2016-sept 2018. I would graduate from the program December 2018 and just am concerned about what would happen in those last 3 months if the outcome of the probation was to end up going south instead of a positive outcome??

I know that to sit for the PANCE, I will be fine since the program is accredited (probation) at the time of my matriculation. So I will be able to take that.

BUT, to be able to apply for a license not only do I have to pass the PANCE, but I also have to graduate from an accredited program? Not sure if probationary counts for that or if the program ends up losing the accreditation, if I will even be able to get a license (even if I have taken the PANCE).

Also am concerned about my degree and if I will still be able to get my the masters degree and if they just "teach out" the last few classes if they end up losing their accreditation?

Just not sure if this is worth it if it the only program I have been accepted to.

Basically am worried about taking out this huge loan to get 90% of the way and the outcome 3 months before graduation, be negative.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

You can still sit for the boards if they have the accreditation when you start.  Probation is not the end of the world, but it also depends why they're on probation and what steps they are taking to amend this.  I would definitely ask these questions before I started school.  That said, if you pass your boards, you will be able to get a job.  It doesn't necessarily matter where you graduated from.  Best of luck.

Archived