Has anyone from this site applied for this year?

It has helped with some but my previous training is more important just for the hour requirements. When starting the program it's better to kinda of in a sense to dump previous medical learnings. It had been a while since I went to MA school and I didn't want to rely on old information. Also it's two different learning perspectives as a MA you learn more or less the basics but no real in depth patient care as a PA your learning to be the provider of care for the patient.

It is very hard probably the hardest thing you'll ever do in your life. I'm not saying this to scare anyone but to prepare them. The work load is a lot you have to be dedicated to studying and learning the material at a very quick pace. Most of our modules are 2 weeks with some being only 1 week you have to find the time to learn and retain the information presented, take and do well on the test and then move on to the next module, this is done for several classes per semester. The level of work is intensely hard but it can and has been done year after year.

At the beginning of each module we're given a list of objectives, from them objectives we get lectures. Everything regarding those objectives is what you need to know for the test. So as far as reading ahead it would be hard to pin point it for you because you would just read the material based on the objectives. I can say that the most difficult modules for me were pulmonary and cardiology so knowing what is going on in those organs systems extensively would definitely be beneficial. The summer before we started we were assigned summer work I don't know if they will be doing that again for future students but that helped give us an idea of what to expect.

for everyone who got in, where you from riverside? I got denied even though I have a perfect 4.0 and over 14,000 hours of medical assistant experience, but I am from San Bernardino, which is not riverside. I was told that the program was oversubscribed. the selection process does not make sense to me. Wouldn't you want the most qualified students, according to the requirements that they post, to get into the program? i understand that it gets down to luck towards the end and all, but seriously! 

The program gets a lot of applications each year. I'm sure that you excelled in your generals and pre-reqs but that doesn't mean that the students that they chose weren't just as qualified. There's a lot of competition out there I didn't get accepted the first time I applied but I didn't allow that to discourage me from my goals, I just figured it wasn't my time. I'm sorry that you didn't get accepted I definitely know that feeling but don't let that discourage you your time will come.

The first semester was kind of rough, no to be honest was quite difficult as is evident by the amount of students that we lost, second semester was WAY better and this semester still difficult but easier. I think it's easier in a sense not because we have that much less to know but because we know more of to what to expect and have found what works best for us in terms of learning the material and how to study more efficiently. One thing I will recommend as was recommended to me is get a study group together 3, 4 people max but people that are just as serious and dedicated as you are. My friends are a great studying asset we all help each other out. Plus it helps to have people to talk to that knows exactly what your going through.

• 4 weeks later...

It's a certificate or an AS, depending on which you apply for.  The master's comes through Saint Francis if you do the extra work your clinical year online.  I received a certificate in physician assisting, and got my master's from Saint Francis in Medical Science.  I didn't want to try for another associates, as I have several, plus a bachelor's.  

Archived