If you are in your 20s, why choose PA over MD/DO?

This point has been brought up in a few threads I came across. Something hit me the other day when I was reading the level of regrets certain professionals have that were directly attributed to their "less informed 20yr old self". -- this meaning that these professionals are in the middle of their career and regret their decision based on what they "thought" was the best route in their 20s. So I bring this thread up to try and see if the 20somethings on this forum are shortsighting their future by opting for PA over MD/DO, or to discover the true rationale behind the decision? I see many experienced PAs on this forum stating that they don't feel younger people should sell themselves short and go the PA route and that in reality this route was initially built for older, more non-traditional people.

I am currently 24 and have recently been accepted into PA school. I chose PA for atwo main reasons over DO/MD. First, the lateral mobility of the profession. If I feel Iike I want to be challenged in another specialty I can do so with some ease. Second, I am married and my wife and I would like to have children at a relatively young age (by age 30 is the plan). Being in DO/MD school and having kids sounds like a nightmare to us so PA sounds like a better plan for us. This is not saying that eventually down the road I may pursue a DO but as of now I do not intend to. I feel PA will provide enough autonomy and challenge me enough to be a great career based on what I am looking for. 

I will be 23 or 24 by the time I start PA school (I'm hoping). I'm aiming for PA school because:

-I get to practice medicine/diagnose/treat/etc just about the same way a physician would. My ego will not be bruised just because I don't get to be called "doctor".

-I want to start my career right away, I don't want to worry about relocating for residency, etc.

-I don't want to take out hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans. Of course I'll have to take out loans for PA school, but not as much. My plan is to pay back my debts as soon as possible.

-My biggest goal in life is to start a family! I want to get married, have kids, etc. I don't want to have to put my life on hold because of medical school, residency, starting my own practice, etcetcetc

Science, medicine, and the human body have always fascinated me, but I have never been interested in pursuing medical school because the mere thought of it overwhelmed me. Maybe I'm being naive, but I just can't justify all of the sacrifices that would have to be made in order to practice medicine. I have changed my mind about my future many times (nursing, occupational therapy, physical therapy, dentistry).. when I finally discovered the PA profession I was RELIEVED. Finally, something that would allow me to pursue my true interests without having to sacrifice so much. I'm not saying PA school will be a walk in the park, I'm aware that it's a huge commitment as well, but it's something I would feel comfortable (and ECSTATIC!) doing.

There seems to be a big differential between the hours the average young doc works and the hours that a young PA works (at least among those that I have been acquainted with).  While Docs can eventually get the kind of seniority that it takes to work much shorter weeks, it seems that PA's have more of an opportunity to do so out of school.  Just one man's outside observation.

There seems to be a big differential between the hours the average young doc works and the hours that a young PA works (at least among those that I have been acquainted with).  While Docs can eventually get the kind of seniority that it takes to work much shorter weeks, it seems that PA's have more of an opportunity to do so out of school.  Just one man's outside observation.

Depends where you work. new docs in my group work 125 hrs/mo or so while new pas work 160-180.

Nope, not short sighting a thing. A career as a PA will be more than challenging AND rewarding enough. If someone had mid-career regrets, I have only this nugget of advice: "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Just don't whine & opine.

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

I have seen conversations about this subject quite a bit on this forum. The assumption that, if you have sufficient time ahead of you to work, that you might as well be a physician and not a PA. That the PA profession was designed for us old guys. That lateral mobility in the PA profession is going away. That you just have to do a residency.  

Frankly, I don’t believe much of it. I admit that I am one of the old guys, but I’ve only been a PA for 7 years. I really don’t want to be a doc. I don’t covet their lifestyles, their frustrations, their single-minded career focus, or their constant worry about the business of medicine. I just want to see patients and do what I can for them while making a living.

I’m sure that --  somewhere -- there are jobs where PAs work 120 hours plus a week. I didn’t ask for one of those and, thank God, I don’t have one! I work four 12s and that’s enough for me. I bounce my grandkids on my knee, go out with my wife, and ride on an ambulance more or less for fun two nights a month because I just want to.

To me, life is not about doing something just because you might as well, or because you are capable of doing it. It’s about being whatever you want to be, at least for today. Tomorrow you might just want to be something else. I have been a lot of different things in my life and, God willing, I’m not done yet!

Lead your own life. If you want to be a doc, then by all means, be one. If you don’t, then don’t. And don’t feel that there are laws of nature dictating that people of a certain age have to do anything in particular.

I'm 27 and recently graduated PA school.  It's very rewarding to be starting my career, and I'm looking forward to the experience that I will gain in just a couple years from now.  It's great to be in a role where I get to treat patients; and I also enjoy teaching PA students that are doing their rotation where I'm now working.  Interesting to have that role switched. Don't regret going this route one bit!

So far I like what I do.  It's very rewarding to be working and see a short white coat on a medical student.  Seeing patient's is normally pretty enjoyable, I don't have any call, work pretty normal hours, the other physicians treat me very well.

There's enough stress outside of school to deal with and enough people without a job who'd love to be a PA-C. 

Archived