Reapplying...Suggestions?

Hi guys:

Pretty sure I'm not gonna make it in this time around, so I'm gearing up to try again in April with a stronger application.  Open to suggestions about how to make this time a more successful round!

Schools:

Anywhere in Chicago.  Northwestern, Midwestern, and Rush to be specific.  My sig other of 5 years is doing his residency there for the next 4 years so it's sort of a must for me to be in the Chicago area. We've done long distance through nearly half of our relationship due to career goals, now it's time to close the gap.

Stats/Background:

BS in Bio, BA in Psych (double major in undergrad) 3.95 GPA, with honors

Masters in Education (accelerated teaching program for science majors, wasn't sure what I wanted to do after undergrad, but I got a grant to do this and I like science and teaching so I went for it.  Still always wanted to be in medicine, but not MD or DVM, both of which I considered)

-Taught Health Science class for high schoolers for 2 years after finishing my master's.  Ran health events at school (health fair, science night, blood drives, bone marrow donor drive), set up job shadowing for my students, I became a CPR instructor through AHA and certified my students, taught them how to take vitals, anatomy etc.

~1000 hours research experience- during undergrad I worked in an Endocrinology/Women's Health lab doing tissue culture, fluroescence microscopy, and endometriosis surgeries/tissue collections on mice.  Worked about 8 hours or less per week or as needed for nearly 3 years. Great PI who will still write a LOR if asked.

~100 hours HCE from medical mission trip to Costa Rica (pt hx taking, physical exam, vitals, learned medical Spanish basics)

~575 hours HCE and counting from current job as a Patient Care Technician on a telemetry/PCU floor at a hospital in my hometown.  Got the job because I got my CNA certification one summer while I had time during my teaching career.

~ 20 hours of PA shadowing and counting.  Shadowed a Hepatology/Liver transplant PA twice, a Cardiothoracic Surgery PA once and got to be in the OR to watch an aortic valve replacement with the PA as first assist in surgery (awesome!), and am on the calendar to shadow a Rheumatology PA and/or a Pulmonary/Critical Care PA as soon as they will let me! 

GRE scores are V: 159  Q: 153  Analytical Writing: 5.0

I still have to take Microbiology (currently taking) and Anatomy (already have 5 Physiology credits from undergrad).

I did not get any interviews this year (or highly doubt I will at this point) because at the time of deadline for CASPA, I submitted even when I did not yet have my tech job.  I updated all of my schools, but I pretty much figured my application was late and a little weak this year.  Now that I do and I am accumulating hours, I am planning on reapplying, hoping to be more successful.  Any suggestions of any other things I should work on before this summer? 

Thanks! :)

You have a similar background to me (bio major, master in ed, experience teaching in hs) and I was admitted to a very prestigious PA program this cycle. Your gpa is actually higher than mine and your HCE is much stronger than mine was, although I do have a second masters degree in molecular biology.

You seem like a very strong applicant on paper but your personal statement and recommendations are what make you stand out as an individual. You have to remember that a lot of applicants have high grades and good HCE (since these are requirements to apply in the first place). I think people underestimate how critical a good personal statement is to being selected for an interview. At all of my interviews the interviewers specifically mentioned that my personal statement drew them to my application even though my HCE was a bit on the weak side due to working full-time as a teacher for the past 5 years.

So work on your personal statement and make sure it is free of the generic cliches and generic statements that adcomms see 100 times a day. Really explain how your academic career and life experiences have shaped you into a great prospective PA. Ace those last few course and read up on current news relating to the PA profession in preparation for your upcoming interviews next cycle!

Umm... Chicago? Not applying to Rosalind? I'm torn about whether to be absurdly offended on my school's behalf and... well, to not care.

Based on your stats you'd get in somewhere (assuming you're not hiding something odd) if you broadened your horizons a little but I understand wanting to stay in/near the city. If that remains your plan I'd suggest getting your pre-requisite ducks in a row (Northwestern and Rosalind both wanted as few pre-reqs as possible standing between me and matriculation) and applying early. Like, as soon as CASPA opens, early.

Otherwise... make sure you're presenting all that research experience in a PA-friendly way. It sort of screams "medical school" at me. And be aware that you actually have relatively little HCE so you need to become very good at framing your career path and teaching experience in a way that highlights your desire to be a PA.

@Pbuonocore: Thanks! That gives me a little hope.  I feel like a lot of the applications stuff is stressful and sometimes ambiguous as to what they want- it's nice to know someone with a similar background got accepted!  My personal statement focuses on my experiences as a teacher and how they led me to PA. Since your PS was apparently pretty good, could I PM mine to you? You could take a look and see what suggestions you have to strengthen it. 

@Wet Dog: Master's GPA was 4.0 (it was a relatively easy program, compared to Bio in undergrad) The A&P is something I'm struggling with right now.  Midwestern recently added a new requirement for next year's applicants of 4 hours of Anatomy and from what I understand, online and comm college courses don't cut it... Thanks MW....I understand the anatomy requirement and was shocked they didn't have it before, but requiring it to be taken university level...some of us don't have $$ or time for that as we're getting our HCE hours! Northwestern is ok with Anatomy being taken separately and ok with comm college and online classes as well.  But I don't want to ruin my chances at a school if I don't have to...

Also LOR are something I need as many of the programs want a "science professor".  My PI is a science professor, even though I never took her classes.  She knows my academic and work abilities better than any random lecture hall professor would, yet I've been advised to seek a different LOR from a professor...? I think that's silly. 

@Greenmood: Haha, I have a friend at Rosalind's Podiatry school.  It's just a little far away for me from downtown where I'll need to live.  But, sacrifices, right?  I'm actually not as familiar with their program.  What was your experience like? 

The research on the other hand may sound like medical school, but I never took the MCAT, never had a huge interest in medical school in general.  Actually, my original plan was vet school- so no PA has not always been my dream, caught me!  But as a bio major, the lab was a great way to make connections, get some applicable knowledge of science, and also to make sure that PhD was not the route for me. 

From what I can tell, you need to improve your application date, HCE, and pre-requisite classes.  It sounds like you applied as a long shot this cycle, and likely won't get in--there's nothing wrong with that.  To strengthen your application for the next cycle, finish your pre-requisite classes, continue gaining HCE, and apply very early with reviewed LORs and PS.  It's all doable, and you'll have a strong application.  I'm happy to review your PS if you PM it to me.  I loaned my copy of Rodican's book to my references, with the chapter on LORs bookmarked, and not one had questions about what to write.   

I'd be happy to take a look at your personal statement. Mine focused a lot on the crossovers between being a good teacher and being a good clinician ie ability to clearly and concisely convey information to others. 

In terms of whether your HCE is enough is really gonna vary depending on what each particular school's requirements are and what they place more emphasis on. I only had ~250 hours of mostly shadowing and was granted interviews at all 5 schools I applied to (I also had geographical restrictions and had to stay in the NY/CT area). Two of the schools even had HCE requirements that were higher than what I had so obviously they weren't just trashing applications based on min requirements.

Obviously racking up all the quality hours you can won't hurt, but since your already well on your way to doing that by next cycle I'd place more focus on having a killer PS and getting references from people who will give you more than a generic letter. I tried to cover all aspects of my academic and professional life with my references, with one from my undergrad science chairperson, one from a PA who mentored me and allowed me to shadow her, and one from the assistant superintendent at the school I work for. 

Wow, your situation is the same as mine. Wanting chicago schools because my boyfriend of 5 years will be here for residency. We've done long distance for more than half our relationship as well. Props to you guys!

A lot of people I talked to who go to Rosalind Franklin for PA (even med school) took the one year Masters program in biomed science, I believe, and they said they got in a lot easier. They said that you are guaranteed an interview if you go that route. 

Hope this helps!

If distance from downtown is your worry, I would really reconsider Midwestern. Very hard to reach by public transportation from the city and the drive can be 2+ hours each way with traffic. That was a major factor in my decision to go elsewhere - I was also living in the city at the time. At least with Rosalind you can take the Metra and get some studying done. Obviously Rush and Northwestern are also easier to get to from downtown.

I loved Rosalind. PM me if you have specific questions. Good luck!

Also... That masters in biomedical science isn't as common as you've been lead to believe. I think a couple students from my year (out of 66) did that prior to starting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You guys are giving me awesome feedback- I so appreciate it!

@Greenmood- I am rethinking Midwestern; they have a new 4 hr anatomy requirement that I can't fulfill by taking it online- which is my only option due to working full time! Also, you are very right about the Metra being a way to study, I hadn't thought of that.  How was your commute living downtown and going to RF?  I'll PM you some more questions when I think of them!

When it comes to LOR's, I'm a little stuck.  I'm planning on getting one from a nurse manager or charge nurse who works with me at my current job, a PA that I've shadowed and then one more.  I have the choices of my PI from undergrad (I haven't worked for her since early 2011 but she still could attest to my academic ability and work ethic) or my mentor teacher and colleague from my teaching position.  My prinicipal retired and the asst prinicipals weren't the brightest crayons in the box- they couldn't handle school policies, much less would I trust them with something like this for my future... however my mentor teacher was awesome- he actually went to med school for 2 years before leaving, and he has offered to write me a letter.  He knows my work with students and taught me how to gram stain and other things that I then taught my students.  Do you guys think I should ask him rather than the PI from undergrad lab? I wasn't sure how PA schools viewed having "just" teachers write recommendations.  (I say that with sarcasm) 

Or do you think I should get 1 from my current nurse manager, 1 from the former PI, and one from my former mentor teacher?  That would cover my professional past pretty well...I'm just not sure if I should throw out one of them and get a PA that I shadow's recommendation instead.  Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys:

Pretty sure I'm not gonna make it in this time around, so I'm gearing up to try again in April with a stronger application.  Open to suggestions about how to make this time a more successful round!

Schools:

Anywhere in Chicago.  Northwestern, Midwestern, and Rush to be specific.  My sig other of 5 years is doing his residency there for the next 4 years so it's sort of a must for me to be in the Chicago area. We've done long distance through nearly half of our relationship due to career goals, now it's time to close the gap.

Stats/Background:

Masters in Education (accelerated teaching program for science majors, wasn't sure what I wanted to do after undergrad, but I got a grant to do this and I like science and teaching so I went for it.  Still always wanted to be in medicine, but not MD or DVM, both of which I considered)

-Taught Health Science class for high schoolers for 2 years after finishing my master's.  Ran health events at school (health fair, science night, blood drives, bone marrow donor drive), set up job shadowing for my students, I became a CPR instructor through AHA and certified my students, taught them how to take vitals, anatomy etc.

~1000 hours research experience- during undergrad I worked in an Endocrinology/Women's Health lab doing tissue culture, fluroescence microscopy, and endometriosis surgeries/tissue collections on mice.  Worked about 8 hours or less per week or as needed for nearly 3 years. Great PI who will still write a LOR if asked.

~100 hours HCE from medical mission trip to Costa Rica (pt hx taking, physical exam, vitals, learned medical Spanish basics)

~575 hours HCE and counting from current job as a Patient Care Technician on a telemetry/PCU floor at a hospital in my hometown.  Got the job because I got my CNA certification one summer while I had time during my teaching career.

~ 20 hours of PA shadowing and counting.  Shadowed a Hepatology/Liver transplant PA twice, a Cardiothoracic Surgery PA once and got to be in the OR to watch an aortic valve replacement with the PA as first assist in surgery (awesome!), and am on the calendar to shadow a Rheumatology PA and/or a Pulmonary/Critical Care PA as soon as they will let me! 

GRE scores are V: 159  Q: 153  Analytical Writing: 5.0

I still have to take Microbiology (currently taking) and Anatomy (already have 5 Physiology credits from undergrad).

I did not get any interviews this year (or highly doubt I will at this point) because at the time of deadline for CASPA, I submitted even when I did not yet have my tech job.  I updated all of my schools, but I pretty much figured my application was late and a little weak this year.  Now that I do and I am accumulating hours, I am planning on reapplying, hoping to be more successful.  Any suggestions of any other things I should work on before this summer? 

Your profile looks incredible.....maybe there was an issue with your narrative or letters of recommendation?

Umm... Chicago? Not applying to Rosalind? I'm torn about whether to be absurdly offended on my school's behalf and... well, to not care.

Based on your stats you'd get in somewhere (assuming you're not hiding something odd) if you broadened your horizons a little but I understand wanting to stay in/near the city. If that remains your plan I'd suggest getting your pre-requisite ducks in a row (Northwestern and Rosalind both wanted as few pre-reqs as possible standing between me and matriculation) and applying early. Like, as soon as CASPA opens, early.

Otherwise... make sure you're presenting all that research experience in a PA-friendly way. It sort of screams "medical school" at me. And be aware that you actually have relatively little HCE so you need to become very good at framing your career path and teaching experience in a way that highlights your desire to be a PA.

I am going to Rosalind starting in May :-)

Hi guys:

Pretty sure I'm not gonna make it in this time around, so I'm gearing up to try again in April with a stronger application. Open to suggestions about how to make this time a more successful round!

Schools:

Anywhere in Chicago. Northwestern, Midwestern, and Rush to be specific. My sig other of 5 years is doing his residency there for the next 4 years so it's sort of a must for me to be in the Chicago area. We've done long distance through nearly half of our relationship due to career goals, now it's time to close the gap.

Stats/Background:

Masters in Education (accelerated teaching program for science majors, wasn't sure what I wanted to do after undergrad, but I got a grant to do this and I like science and teaching so I went for it. Still always wanted to be in medicine, but not MD or DVM, both of which I considered)

-Taught Health Science class for high schoolers for 2 years after finishing my master's. Ran health events at school (health fair, science night, blood drives, bone marrow donor drive), set up job shadowing for my students, I became a CPR instructor through AHA and certified my students, taught them how to take vitals, anatomy etc.

~1000 hours research experience- during undergrad I worked in an Endocrinology/Women's Health lab doing tissue culture, fluroescence microscopy, and endometriosis surgeries/tissue collections on mice. Worked about 8 hours or less per week or as needed for nearly 3 years. Great PI who will still write a LOR if asked.

~575 hours HCE and counting from current job as a Patient Care Technician on a telemetry/PCU floor at a hospital in my hometown. Got the job because I got my CNA certification one summer while I had time during my teaching career.

~ 20 hours of PA shadowing and counting. Shadowed a Hepatology/Liver transplant PA twice, a Cardiothoracic Surgery PA once and got to be in the OR to watch an aortic valve replacement with the PA as first assist in surgery (awesome!), and am on the calendar to shadow a Rheumatology PA and/or a Pulmonary/Critical Care PA as soon as they will let me!

GRE scores are V: 159 Q: 153 Analytical Writing: 5.0

I did not get any interviews this year (or highly doubt I will at this point) because at the time of deadline for CASPA, I submitted even when I did not yet have my tech job. I updated all of my schools, but I pretty much figured my application was late and a little weak this year. Now that I do and I am accumulating hours, I am planning on reapplying, hoping to be more successful. Any suggestions of any other things I should work on before this summer?

I am a first year at Rush, so if you hav specific questions, pm me.

The one thing Rush puts a lot of focus on, is HCE. The mean number of hours is 2500 or more, so just keep working! :)

Archived