2014 application cycle

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, I spoke with a PA that graduated from their program and he said that UMES has really made some strides in the right direction. They just changed to a masters program in 2013 and they just got a new director back in November. But it seems like they are heading in the right direction. He doesn't think the accreditation will be a problem in the future. 

Calling isn't a bad idea. I replied to the initial email and received an automated email that said interviews would be conducted from February-May (which is later than I think most people heard). As far as I'm aware, they accept about 35 students each year. For a number of years, they only accepted 10-15. I grew up in the area (Delaware), but I'm currently in Florida. I don't have any ties with the school; I do know a lot of alumni though. I grew up with a student that graduated in 2013 from their program. Over the summer I went back to Delaware and shadowed/volunteered. I was able to meet about 5 or more students/faculty/staff of UMES, and I visited the school in the summer (I met with the interim director who is no longer there). I read this article today that was helpful. 

http://www.delmarvanow.com/story/news/local/maryland/2014/12/31/umes-physician-probation/21106147/

I applied in the first week of September and finished the background check a few weeks later. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just got an invite to interview!! I thought they were done with interviews already :O but they had three interview date options March 25, April 8 and April 22, so those of you still waiting to hear anything there's still hope.

Can anyone who's already interviewed tell me how it went and what to expect and any special questions to be aware of/specific things the admissions committee is looking for in their applicants and if you got overwhelmed (/how not to get overwhelmed) during the day?

I'm asking because I didn't do so well in the interviews I have already attended and I feel like this invite is my chance to redeem myself for this cycle. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Please and thank you :)

I have also been accepted into the program! My deposit was received last week.

I do recall the admissions coordinator saying they wanted to run each interview day differently to see which style they liked best. I had a group interview followed by a panel interview. The questions were all very straightforward, mostly relating to how past educational/ clinical experience has prepared you for the PA profession, strengths and weaknesses, etc.

Congrats to all those accepted thus far!

@sm2091 what exactly is a panel interview? They didn't have you do an individual interview?? How many people were interviewing on the day you went? Did they do any presentations? The interviews I've attended both had two presentations, one done by a faculty member and one done by current students. Did they do anything like that or did you have time to mingle with current students?

Congrats to those who got accepted as well! :)

And @sm2091 is right- questions are pretty straight forward and it consisted of a panel and group interview. General questions- why you want to become a PA? Why UMES?...also, there's a facility tour with current students.

Just be yourself on the interview. Good luck!!!

Archived