On Call Compensation and Shift Differential

Working at a large university medical center.  We rotate call for OR coverage only and are on call for a week every 4th.

Currently we are paid $2.50/hr to "carry the pager" and then are paid the hospital rate for "shift differential" when we are actually called in. (i.e. $5/hr for eve, $6/hr for nites, etc).  We don't get our usual hourly rate + shift differential; if we're in the hospital for 5 evening hours, it's simply an extra $25 in that paycheck.

We're hospital employees and are classified as "exempt" meaning the hospital doesn't have to pay overtime based upon an hourly rate.

Anybody else in this situation?  We're obviously trying to get them to pay us more, but so far no luck.

Thanks.

• Administrator

You're being treated like a doc, but paid like a PA.

When I was in IT, with a base salary similar to what I make now as a PA, I got paid 1 hour for 4 for being on call, which covered phone or from-home support, plus actual time or four hours (whichever was greater) for actual call in.

That is insulting. The token pay for on-call isn't uncommon, but once you get called in it should be fairly reimbursed.

Our ED PA's take mandatory backup call for sick calls and the occasional ER surge status. We get $5/hr for backup, but once we get called in for a sick call we earn standard moonlighting rate plus shift differential.

If the ED goes into surge status we get first offer at coming in but can refuse; if you do come in for surge it's a HUGE bonus payment because you know you'll be walking into a nightmare shift.

Our call hours are part of out standard work-week. On-call PA comes in late in the day and stays until the work is finished. Sometimes we're there for 4 hours, sometimes 10 hours. It just depends.

It's not like we work a full 8 or 10 hour shift and take call on top of that.

Does anyone else work like this?

Working at a large university medical center.  We rotate call for OR coverage only and are on call for a week every 4th.

Currently we are paid $2.50/hr to "carry the pager" and then are paid the hospital rate for "shift differential" when we are actually called in. (i.e. $5/hr for eve, $6/hr for nites, etc).  We don't get our usual hourly rate + shift differential; if we're in the hospital for 5 evening hours, it's simply an extra $25 in that paycheck.

We're hospital employees and are classified as "exempt" meaning the hospital doesn't have to pay overtime based upon an hourly rate.

Anybody else in this situation?  We're obviously trying to get them to pay us more, but so far no luck.

Thanks.

I doubt that this meets the definition of exempt. Either they don't pay anything for the extra or they pay what you should get. They are paying less than minimum wage in this case. 

We get extra money for extra time but its done in a way that makes it clear we are not being paid by the hour. We are being paid extra to cover an extra shift beyond our normal coverage. 

I would have them run this past legal and see what they think. I'm guessing they will piss their pants. Then have them decide how they want to treat you. If hourly then time and a half etc. If not then negotiate an increase in pay for the extra time (then you have to make sure time is equal). We have five levels of pay depending no call and situation. Clinic no call, clinic with home call, inpatient no call, inpatient with call, critical care/CVS. Increased pay with increased level of work. Difference between the top and the bottom pay scale is around $25k. 

I agree with GetMeOuttaThisMess above.  This is the Dept of Labor's definition of an "exempt" employee.

Again, our call time is not additional hours; it's a regular week for us.  We come in late in the day and stay until things are wrapped up.  There are times when I've only been in-house for 2 hours; other times I've been there all night.

I think the hospital simply looks at it as a regular week despite the fact that we've designated it as "call".

be careful on defining exempt as it is very confusing and the federal courts have decided different ways

if you are paid hourly then there is a possibility that you are not exempt

PA are NOT listed in the regulations on professions which are automatically exempt - physicians are

NYS says that we are professionals and not entitled to time and one half per the law, but a contract can award this pay

Out west a federal district court ruled that PA are hourly and due 1.5 time

no clear answer on a national level, you need to find out your state laws and the case law for your federal district to be sure

None of that really matters unless you are going to court - so try to have an open and honest discussion with HR, and by all means make sure (try) to stand together with all PAs - not a requirement, but sort of pointless if you are the only one bringing it up.  Doesn't have to be a big confrontation, just identify the problem and offer a reasonable solution (beyond $24 for a 12 hour shift on call which is a joke)

Thanks. So again, call is part of our regular week. It's not in addition to a normal 40 or 50 hr workweek. Our call week consists of carrying the pager and being available if needed. We generally come in around 3pm and stay to finish whatever needs to be done. There are weeks when I've only been in-house for 20 hrs.

It's not like we're in-house during the day for 10 or 12 hrs and then take call at night.

Just wondering if anyone else has a schedule like this.

ATCLATEMBT: Yes,we do function as the late shift, but we also carry the pager 24/7 and can get called anytime. Like right now it's 9am, I'm home drinking coffee, will go out for lunch with my wife later, then head to work around 3. BUT, if I get called for an emergency in an hour, all that goes away, I go in and get paid a $5/hr "bonus" for coming in when I'm on call.

And yes, we are salaried.

Well this is a tough situation.  I agree you are worth more, but its a hard fight considering you are salaried, and might not put in a ton of hours on that day.  

I think carrying your pager is worth more pay.  We pay our CST's $4/hr, I get a whopping $4.50/hr.  I do however get 1.25x base hourly rate if I come in for surgery.   The simple shift differential / $5 working call addition is not enough.  I think I would unite with your colleagues and create a plan that everyone agrees with.  What surgical sub-specialty?  

How do you handle weekend rounding pay?  

CT Surg here as well.  

I think your current situation makes it a little tougher to go after more, do to the flexible nature of the call within your base work hours. 

With that being said, I do think its certainly slim!  I would gather data from the APACVS salary publication, which is annual sit down with your cohort and create a better income schedule.  It certainly is not enough and likely far beneath the surgeon.   (not saying we are equals, but you get the idea) 

PM me if you want feed back, or need a link to the data set. 

Archived