Pacific University Class of 2016!

Hey Everyone!

Happy new year! I just want to see who is accepted for the class of 2016 and will be starting in May! I am so excited to become a Pacific Univeristy PA student and will most likely be moving from Wisconsin sometime in April. I still have a few interviews coming up which are closer to home but so far I have my heart (and deposit!) set on Pacific. I was at the November 16th interview and loved the school and faculty. Where all you all from and what is your background? Should we start a facebook page?

I can't wait to meet you guys. We will be spending A LOT of time together.

Carly

Hi Carly!

I am in the same boat as you. The deposit is in the mail! I interviewed Dec 7. Loved the interview experience, faculty, and curriculum. I still have a few more interviews closer to home but unless they completely blow my mind, I'm sticking with Pacific. I am from San Diego and it's funny because I for sure thought I wanted to stay in Southern California. After interviewing and being accepted to Pacific, my whole plan was kind of turned upside down (but in a good way!).

Also look forward to meeting all of you.

Aivi

Hey Aivi,

They are great at turning plans upside down! I specifically love the modular based curriculum and the international opprotunities. These next interviews have big shoes to fill. I have had 5 interviews so far and the other 4 did not measure up to Pacific. Anyway, congratulations and hopefully I will meet you in May!

Carly

Avi, 

I will see you there then.  I have been going to school and working in San Diego for the past five years.  If it makes you feel better I ran into individuals at the Dec interview  that I had interviewed with at other programs and we all had the same response.  Pacific just made the other programs Pale in comparison.

I will be attending and look forward to meeting all of you! I will be coming from sunny Arizona. Most likely moving in late April early May. As all of you have stated, Pacific blew my mind compared to all the other schools I interviewed at even in my home state. Happy New Year, see you all soon!!! 

I will also be attending in May.  I am coming from SC with the wife and kids.  We already have the moving date set at mid March.  I had other interviews at other schools, but as soon as I gained exceptance after the Nov 16th interview, I turned my other interviews down.  I knew right away that's where I wanted to be.  It was my first choice because, I love the Portland area and thier small size gives more attention to the individual student.   I am really excited to meet all of you, and get started on this new adventure.  See you guys soon!

Hey All,

I will be coming from Minnesota! I am trying to figure out housing now and have planned to take a trip out in early March to search for apartments. I chose PU because of how well organized and efficient my interview day was along with the very welcoming and helpful staff and current students. I look forward to meeting you all as well... May will be here before we know it!

Becky

Hey guys, Pacific let me in as well, I loved the staff and didactic setup, but I have one more interview at Duke. Did anyone here get into Duke, and if so, why did you choose Pacific? Thanks, and I hope to see everyone in May, but if not, I hope they put my 1000$ to good use on a pizza party for you guys or something:)

I had offers from Pacific, GWU, Duke, and Wake Forest. For me it came down to location, as I would like to practice and settle in the Pac NW as their practice laws are conducive to my career goals.

The grading system that allows for you to come in, learn the material and not worry about some obscure note in a random box on some page of the text to get a higher score.

The curriculum, there is a reason that many med schools have switched to a system based learning curriculum and Pacific is ahead of the curve for PA schools in that area; add in the problem based learning with case studies in the afternoon, and they have provided the best of both worlds while eliminating the need to study for a test every three days and instead allowing you to actually focus on the lecture you are in instead of the Pharm test you have tomorrow.

The faculty and staff, I needed some paperwork for the Navy and they had the director of the program respond within a matter of hours with the paperwork I needed signed and completed. This was just one of example of the efficiency of their program. The entire process from application,to interview, to follow up was the smoothest and most well run of any of the programs I interacted with.

Openness to feedback, I discussed both in my interview and with several previous students what they would change about the program and the common theme was little if anything as program strives for the continual reevaluation of the program for needed adjustment. From adding back in the rotation exams during clinicals to address the PANCE scores, to opening up the rural and global health tracks allowing for a more focused learning opportunity.

The Clinical Rotations. While many people have expressed concern with the amount of travel that can be involved, not competing with med students and residents for experience (especially in surgery and EM) was ideal for me based on previous experiences. Add in the ability to travel for international rotations and I was sold.

I had offers from Pacific, GWU, Duke, and Wake Forest. For me it came down to location, as I would like to practice and settle in the Pac NW as their practice laws are conducive to my career goals.

The grading system that allows for you to come in, learn the material and not worry about some obscure note in a random box on some page of the text to get a higher score.

The curriculum, there is a reason that many med schools have switched to a system based learning curriculum and Pacific is ahead of the curve for PA schools in that area; add in the problem based learning with case studies in the afternoon, and they have provided the best of both worlds while eliminating the need to study for a test every three days and instead allowing you to actually focus on the lecture you are in instead of the Pharm test you have tomorrow.

The faculty and staff, I needed some paperwork for the Navy and they had the director of the program respond within a matter of hours with the paperwork I needed signed and completed. This was just one of example of the efficiency of their program. The entire process from application,to interview, to follow up was the smoothest and most well run of any of the programs I interacted with.

Openness to feedback, I discussed both in my interview and with several previous students what they would change about the program and the common theme was little if anything as program strives for the continual reevaluation of the program for needed adjustment. From adding back in the rotation exams during clinicals to address the PANCE scores, to opening up the rural and global health tracks allowing for a more focused learning opportunity.

The Clinical Rotations. While many people have expressed concern with the amount of travel that can be involved, not competing with med students and residents for experience (especially in surgery and EM) was ideal for me based on previous experiences. Add in the ability to travel for international rotations and I was sold.

Thanks mate; that helped a lot!

Hi everyone!

I also got accepted as well! 

I wonder if this forum is still active?

I'll be flying in from Hawaii and I've only been to Oregon that one time for the interview so if any one would like to share their experiences (such as housing and environment-I heard it rains a LOT) it would be much appreciated! :)

Also, I had a couple of other interviews but Pacific's staff and faculty really left an impression on me and I'm really glad Pacific decided to chose me :) They seemed to very determined and committed to help students and the atmosphere was very welcoming and warm. 

See you all in May!

Thank you,

-Anna

Hello everyone! I just sent in my deposit. I'll be coming from Washington DC. Does anyone have any idea of the breakdown of where people live? I'm thinking about living in Portland and commuting in on the MAX, but I'm sure most people live in the Hillsboro area. Congrats to everyone else on their acceptances! -Laura

Hi Laura and Anna,

When I talked to the current students at the interview it sounded like people live all over the map- including in Gresham which is on the other side of Portland. I think if you want to live in Portland it can be done! I am looking in Hillsboro/Beaverton on the tri-met line. I am hoping to find a nice place that allows dogs and is close to the train. It's hard looking for a place when you are half way across the country. Let me know if you guys have any luck!

Carly

I love Portland but living there seems a little hectic and more expensive. Like Carly said I plan on finding an apartment in the Hillsboro/Beaverton area which is plenty close to Portland when I want to be there but far enough away for when I want more peace and quiet.

I have a really good friend who lives in Portland and he's going to help me find housing since I can't exactly fly up there to look at places. I am excited to get access to the moodle in February to meet everyone and hopefully find a roommate.

• 2 weeks later...

For folks who have accepted offers, what is your plan in regards to housing during rotations? The didactic year is extremely impressive, but I am not sure how I feel about having to move frequently during rotations. I am really torn. I realize the rotations are probably higher quality, since many are rural and chosen based on quality (not location), but I don’t think I understand how it can be logistically possible to move often, potentially every few weeks for a period of time.

While interviewing they mentioned that some folks stay with family or affiliated church members, but I don’t have any ties like that. Even when we asked, the process of re-locating wasn’t made especially clear to me. Do people find short-term leases? Rent hotel rooms? HOW does it work?

Forgive me if I sound naïve!

• Administrator

How to handle 'away' rotations:

1. Get a reliable car.

2. Take what fits in it with you.

For established rotations, there are places that have successfully housed PA students in the past, and that knowledge gets passed down from the class or two ahead of you.  There are some sites that many students fly to, rather than drive.  In my class, most people going to Ohio or Texas flew, while one woman drove to Alaska.  Obviously, Hawaii (and there are plenty of rotations there!) and international rotations are must-fly places, so you will be limited in what you can carry.

Books? Take a couple, leave most behind.  Take two weeks worth of clothes (just in case you can't wash 'em every weekend), your computer, personal care stuff, a few other things to keep you sane (frisbee?) and plan to live pretty austerely and focus on being around the medicine and/or sleeping most of the time.

I was extremely fortunate, in that of my 10 rotations (as I understand it, you will have nine), I rented a room from a friend and commuted home for the weekend, then stayed at home, then flew to Central America, then stayed at home for the next two, then moved my family to a rural rotation in a house we found on Craigslist for my double-length family med rotation, then was back at my original house in Washington for the last three.  Many other people in my class lived out of their vehicles, put a bunch of stuff in storage, or whatnot.  When I was on my family medicine rotation, I sublet our rental house in Hillsboro to other students who were going to be having local rotations.  I was able to engineer it so the longest I went without seeing my family was six weeks, and that was my Costa Rican rotation, where the Internet was good enough my kids and I could see each other on Skype.

Not everyone was as fortunate as I was, but we all survived it.  Craiglist and word of mouth were the most common ways to find a room to rent.  I know of no one who stayed in a hotel.

I just have to say...Class of 2016?! Wow I feel old...when I graduated in 2000 (second class) we were an unknown entity.

I precepted one student from the class of 99 and hired another....until recently I had precepted at least one student from each class but think I have missed a year or 2 now. most of my students now are from medex although I had an OHSU student earlier this month for 2 shifts.

• 1 month later...

Is there a different Facebook address for the group? I would like to join!

The one posted earlier is the correct address, the group was just changed to secret so I don't know if that means you can find it without being part of the group. I believe you have to be added by a member. PM me your name and Facebook info and I'll add you.

Hello, I currently live in Portland, Oregon and just got accepted at Pacific. I have not given my deposit yet, but I thought I would give some insight on where to live. Do not live in Gresham simply due to the drive to school. The MAX is reliable and I like to use it for public transportation. A MAX ride from downtown Portland to school is about an hour. Beaverton has more suburbs and is nicer in general...in my opinion. I currently live off the sylan exit (outskirts of PDX, off Hwy 26) and the commute from there to school is about 30 minutes depending on traffic. There are plenty of places to live with most places being safe. Good luck apartment/house hunting!! Enjoy your Spring while you can.

Archived