Class of 2016!

Hey there, Congratulations I am assuming that you are accepted.  First off, job well done, secondly, I will give you guys and gals some advice on bow to get connected before you arrive in May on campus.  Make a facebook page, but make it a private view, so that you all can vent, talk, etc without fear of repercussions from UND.  Secondly, make as many classmate contacts before you arrive so that you can make friends, learn travel plans, and places to stay.  Third, keep in touch with the class ahead of you, we can all give you advice on anything and everything on what to expect.  Congrats again and Happy New Year.

-Parker 

Class of 2015

Well, they are tough to say the least.  It's a different kind of tough than undergrad or work projects.  Be prepared to study A LOT!  They break you in gently then feed you to the wolves, and then when the wolves are done, your remains are fed again to something else.  It is obtainable but it is very tough.  Your life will have to make adjustments, and I hate to sound harsh, but its better to go in prepared than to go in blind.  The professors will put it to you this way, "It's like drinking from a fire hydrant"

Parker,

I assume you will be starting your first 'on-campus' session very soon.  Where are you (and classmates) finding lodging? Are you able to stay in any vacant dorm rooms or is the majority staying at a hotel?

What do you wish you knew when you began the program?

Eric

esadler

The majority of us are staying at a place called Staybridge Inn, it is an extended stay hotel that is brand new.  Each room has a small kitchen, has facilities to do laundry, and offers free breakfast and so forth.  I leave next Sunday for the first 4 week on-campus experience.  I am rooming with another classmate to save money, and the rooms have separate bedrooms.  It is a nice place and pretty close to campus.  The best thing to do to start getting to know your classmates is to start a PRIVATE facebook page.  That way you can communicate amongst yourselves and so forth.  

What I wish I knew before the program started was how to manage my time and manage life in general.  This is a very intensive program, and the upside is it's 24 months, the downside, it's 24 months.  Very fast paced, very in-depth.  Get to know your classmates, their study styles, and remember to help when you can, and be helped when you need it.  Don't be afraid to ask your classmates for help, and vice versa, it's one common goal.  The ones who are out for the highest grade in the class usually alienate themselves from everyone else, don't be that person!  Get your finances in place, SAVE SAVE SAVE, so when you make it to campus, you won't have as much about finances.  Spend time with your friends, your loved ones.  4 weeks away is a long time, but as I have been told from the class ahead of me, it goes by fast.  

Hope some of this helped, if anyone needs to ask me questions feel free to email me at parker.martin@my.und.edu and our class can also make a FB page so you all can get to know us and ask us questions.  Good luck!

This is great info Parker. Thanks a lot. I'll have more questions later. If it's ok, I'll post them on here in case others have the same question.

esadler

The majority of us are staying at a place called Staybridge Inn, it is an extended stay hotel that is brand new.  Each room has a small kitchen, has facilities to do laundry, and offers free breakfast and so forth.  I leave next Sunday for the first 4 week on-campus experience.  I am rooming with another classmate to save money, and the rooms have separate bedrooms.  It is a nice place and pretty close to campus.  The best thing to do to start getting to know your classmates is to start a PRIVATE facebook page.  That way you can communicate amongst yourselves and so forth.  

What I wish I knew before the program started was how to manage my time and manage life in general.  This is a very intensive program, and the upside is it's 24 months, the downside, it's 24 months.  Very fast paced, very in-depth.  Get to know your classmates, their study styles, and remember to help when you can, and be helped when you need it.  Don't be afraid to ask your classmates for help, and vice versa, it's one common goal.  The ones who are out for the highest grade in the class usually alienate themselves from everyone else, don't be that person!  Get your finances in place, SAVE SAVE SAVE, so when you make it to campus, you won't have as much about finances.  Spend time with your friends, your loved ones.  4 weeks away is a long time, but as I have been told from the class ahead of me, it goes by fast.  

Hope some of this helped, if anyone needs to ask me questions feel free to email me at parker.martin@my.und.edu and our class can also make a FB page so you all can get to know us and ask us questions.  Good luck!

amkipe

Save your money, save some more, and then save more.  It will reduce stress ten-fold when you get to didactic.  To prepare before classes start I would tell all of you to enjoy life, spend time with loved ones, with your fur family (pets) and so forth.  The first two semesters require a lot of work.  I was able to work full-time but things suffered at that including grades and personal life.  I would not suggest trying to study now as the topics will be more in-depth than you will ever be able to see until you get into it.  To be better prepared though, get to know your classmates through all the social media channels, and research Grand Forks for hotels, places to eat, etc.  Research travel options as well, I plan on flying every time and sharing a rental car or paying gas money to someone for rides.  When this first on-campus is over I can give all of you a better idea of what to do.  Hope this is helping.  Feel free to add me to your FB group, as we have two upper classmen on our giving us guidance as well.

Parker Martin 

Moore, Oklahoma if you cant find me on FB

Thanks for setting up the FB page.  I'll be sure to post questions I have on there.  Especially about study tips, time management, etc.

I'm not too savy on FB but could try to set up a page for 2016 class...unless someone is interested?  I may need some help organizing the page if I do it.

Archived