Applying in 2014!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are a few links from the MD Board

http://www.mbp.state.md.us/pages/phys_assi_laws.html  

click on Qualifications for certification,  which takes you to this link http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/comarhtml/10/10.32.03.04.htm

"B. Education.

(1) An applicant who passed the physician assistant certifying examination administered by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants before 1986 is not required to meet the education requirements specified in §B(2) or (3) of this regulation if both of the following are true:

(a) The applicant has met the continuing education requirements and recertification requirements of the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants on a continuous basis since passing the examination; and

(b) The applicant has been employed and practicing as a physician assistant on a continuous basis since passing the examination.

(2) Except as specified in §B(1) of this regulation, an applicant shall graduate from a physician assistant educational program that was accredited at the time of graduation by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs, the Accreditation Review Commission on the Education for the Physician Assistant, or their successors.

Hope this helps!

I'm not to worried... they are the oldest program in MD and I doubt they will lose their accreditation. I spoke to someone who graduated from the program and he told me that Goble is new and that he is very thorough so hopefully he will straighten out whatever was going on :) ....But I guess it is a bit of a gamble. ... Howard was in probation too and they got it back so there's hope :)

I'm interviewing on Oct. 8, can anyone give a brief specific as to why they're on probation status, someone told me it was record keeping in the information session a while back, but it seems like there's more to the story with everyone so worried. 

BTW, any tips on how to prep for this interview? their booklet outlines a very standard process. Thanks.

Hi baco1 - The program director Jack Goble goes over the exact details during your interview. Most are related to record keeping. A few are related to specific rotations. He also tells you what changes they are making to fix these problems. Personally, I feel confident they have done everything necessary to pass the visit and maintain accrediation and I will be going there. Obviously there is a small risk, but you will hear all the details at your interview.

As for the interview - you go on a small tour, have a writing sample and interview with 2-3 staff members. It is very basic and no trick questions. As long as your comfortable with why you wanna go in the profession, ect, basic interview questions its very simple and only lasts about 15 minutes.

I agree with everything Paa said above. I was nervous at the interview buy its not situational questions at all its really asking why you want to be a PA and why you are interested in their program. Remember your grades and experience got you an interview so be confident (but not cocky).

Lalala, Thankyou very much for info.

I ve started practicing writing portion now.

How broadly should I start practicing writing topics? Do I need to cover healthcare reform, it's impacts, social security and health care .,etc etc.

I am little worried about writing portion.

I have only 2 recomendation letters in CASPA. Is that okay or do I need to have all 3 on file.

Thanks.

They will give you a general topic and ask you to complete a response of your opinion on the topic. Basically they are looking for grammar, sentence structure, spelling etc... It's nothing you need to study for and likely won't ask you anything you don't know about. You have like 20 minutes to read the topic and write your essay. I think mine was 3 or 4 short paragraphs. 

I hope you guys rocked today's interview session. I was in group of very cool interviewers. Good luck to all of you. Can't wait to see the results.

They said it would take about 3 weeks to see the results. Till then I have to keep telling myself --Be Patient!!

Archived