How competetive is the Miami Dade College program?

Guest Qsilver3783

I am having an extremly hard time getting intouch with Mrs. Hernadaz at MDC she never ans her phone and her assistant is quite nasty, I have talked with Dr Nicholas Massimini the director he seems very very nice..

I currently am working on my Bach degree in Biology at Edison State College was a former EMT-A Georgia and have worked as an ER tech in flordia and Now with an Infectious Disease Group my GPA is 3.51, What do you think my chances are of getting into this program for aug 2010? any help or suggestions would be great.

I think you have a very good GPA and experience, so you have a very good chance. The only thing about Miami Dade is that they give preference to Florida residents in case there is a tie between two students (if the other one is out of state). I don't know why you are having difficulties in talking to MDC. I have spoken with Mrs. Hernandez on the phone (but the only info she will give you is specific about the program, she will transfer you to admissions if you have GPA questions, or pre-reqs questions). If you need the application package, you will also need to contact admissions. Basically the admissions (in the medical center building) from MDC is what you need! They are very nice and you can even contact them through e-mail as many times as you need.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually how I found out was through the Doc's I work with they told me about it then I went and googled changes in law for PA's and Nurse Pracs, it will give you a list that compairs the two jobs as they are here in fla, then at the bottom of the page it gives you the changes that will taking place as of 2012, I wish I had saved the address, sorry I was just thrilled that the changes are all in Favor of PA's.

the change to a MS degree being needed to practice is not beneficial to PAs IMHO........

Actually how I found out was through the Doc's I work with they told me about it then I went and googled changes in law for PA's and Nurse Pracs, it will give you a list that compairs the two jobs as they are here in fla, then at the bottom of the page it gives you the changes that will taking place as of 2012, I wish I had saved the address, sorry I was just thrilled that the changes are all in Favor of PA's.

If you can find that address I would really appreciate it. When I emailed a past AAPA president from Fla., she didn't know anything about this so we are both interested.

Thanks

LesH

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RTTechMike

Hello guys, this is my first post! I'm planning to enter MDC PA school in 2011 since MDC made me retake all my science courses all over again..

btw..I spent the whole afternoon searching for that supposed change in the Fl laws reagarding PAs and I couldn't find anything..not sure this is an official thing.

• 2 months later...
Guest har9105

I am a recent graduate from the University of Florida with a bachelors in Health Science. Unfortunately due to a few bad semesters I graduated with a 2.9. I am apply to MDC's PA program and I'm wondering if it's even worth a shot?

Guest holloka33

hi everyone...first post... thanks for all of the helpful info. I'm considering the value of a PA certificate vs. Master's program. I'm coming from a non medical background so the required clinical hours are a bit of an obstacle for entry into a Master's program. Does anyone on this forum have a certificate, and if so, any trouble in the job market post grad? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hello Holloka,

Miami Dade is as competitive as Nova or Duke university. You must have some kind of patient care experience. I have plenty of that and still I was not accepted last year. First, start by volunteering in a hospital or get a job as health tech to start there. Many students get a CNA class and certificate and start working and getting paid, this shows that you are serious. In terms of grades. I am assuming you have a good GPA. Many applicants have excellent GPA and that makes it more competitive to get in. Do not mean to discourage you, but I am been honest based on my personal experience. The job market is open for PA's and will always be open for PA's. My friend graduated from Miami Dade and she told me how excellent the program is. She is now working with an AS degree making 100K per year. You must check with the states of your choice to see if they accept PA-C's with an AS degree. Some states require a bachlors. Do not get carried by this. You can always take few more classes and get Bashlor's degree. I think Miami dade will have that option for PA's soon. The idea is just get in first. By the way, do not forget to finish all the necessary prerequisits first and one more thing. It's never a good idea to apply to one program only. Its like walking the desert with only one glass of H2O.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I will be glad to help. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I'm considering MDC and Nova. (And maybe UF. But I just moved to south FL from Gainesville, so it might not be so easy to move the family back.) I have a BA in Cultural Anthropology; GPA is good. Big change in career plan. But here's the thing... Nova requires two General Chem classes and MDC requires the Health Sci Chemistry. How annoying is this? Am I to just take all three Chemistry classes so that I can meet criteria for both?

Also, I've applied to take the exam to become a CNA. I have no training and am basically just taking practice test and reading. Anyone go this route to become a nursing assistant? I'm also in the process of becoming a hospital volunteer... I'm hoping that volunteering and getting a CNA job for some time will help me really know that I want to work in this field.

Hi! I'm considering MDC and Nova. (And maybe UF. But I just moved to south FL from Gainesville, so it might not be so easy to move the family back.) I have a BA in Cultural Anthropology; GPA is good. Big change in career plan. But here's the thing... Nova requires two General Chem classes and MDC requires the Health Sci Chemistry. How annoying is this? Am I to just take all three Chemistry classes so that I can meet criteria for both?

Also, I've applied to take the exam to become a CNA. I have no training and am basically just taking practice test and reading. Anyone go this route to become a nursing assistant? I'm also in the process of becoming a hospital volunteer... I'm hoping that volunteering and getting a CNA job for some time will help me really know that I want to work in this field.

The problem with the chemistry classes is that Nova, UF, Barry..etc...are Masters level PA programs. MDC is a Associate level, so MDC do not require higher level science classes...If you contact MDC they may use the general chemistry to replace the health science chemistry requirement. That's what they've told me when I was thinking about applying to their Associate program.

• 2 years later...

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and I'm planning on applying to the PA program at MDC. I have an irrelevant BS in Criminal Justice from FIU and I will have finished my prereqs by summer for PA. Some time ago I was interested in Physical Therapy so I have 100 observational hours in that setting. Does anybody know if that would count as some sort of health care experience? Should I shadow a PA? I still have a while before I apply. What would you guys do if you were in my shoes?

I would definitely recommend you shadow a PA, it looks good and also you could get the PA and the Doctor to write your recommendation letters for you. I'm not sure if your PT shadowing will help you or hurt you to be honest, it might look like you don't know what you want to be but it might not.

Ouch, maybe I should leave that out then?

• 1 month later...

It's all B.S. They fail to see the heart and passion some of us have, its almost like your walking on egg shells with them. If you shadow a doctor than its worthless because your there for P.A. not for M.D. If you shadow a ARNP than you will also be in the red zone, if you were a red tie for the interview than your too agressive and bold. If you dont have a bachelors in biology than your an idiot etc... So many things that they B.S. about

• 2 months later...

You'll never get in with an attitude like that... I don't know much about other programs but I can tell that MDC is a program that looks at you as a complete package. People who interview with a 4.0 gpa have been rejected at the same time as people with a 3.2 get accepted. Your credentials and exam score get you the interview but it certainly doesn't guarantee anything once you get there. You have to keep in mind that there are hundreds of people with similar stories applying for roughly 50 seats. It is mathematically impossible to accept everyone you like for the program. I know a handful of people who applied two or three years before finally getting in. If you come across as someone who is not ready to give 100% for the two years or someone who thinks they're entitled to a seat just because of your background then they will say thanks but no thanks. Patients don't care what your gpa in college was. They want people who have the potential to do well and the maturity to be ready to perform in school to that potential and after when you are working in the field as a representative of the college.

Archived