How competetive is the Miami Dade College program?

Guest Qsilver3783

Guest rusakaly

I called yesterday and heard that interviews already begun. That is all I heard. I do not know when letters are going out etc....are you sure that they said out of state people are going first? I am going to call again so I will let you know what they say, again. I am thinking of driving down and talking to someone.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spoke to the medical director himself before ,and he mentioned that long distance people will hear something by Mid April, but when I called this morning I was told they are done for this term. Can you believe this. Every one provided different answers. She also mentioned they had a too many applicants than ever before. I am applying for the masters degree in 16 other schools for next year anyway. You should not count on one school only.

Guest rusakaly

they are done picking who applicants are. That doesn't mean everybody has heard yet. I talked to Jackie in person yesterday and she said the first wave of applicants has tested, then interviewed in april, then there will be 2 sessions of that also in May. There is still hope.

Guest missbebe12

I all ready was interviewed for this program for this fall. They told me that they were holding general sessions on April 17, May 1st, and May 15th. This is where they do the test and essay. After that the next week you are scheduled for an interview. This means that the last interviews will be done the week after May 15th.

I was informed about my general session a week before...which means technically there is still hope if you haven't been called/emailed. If you haven't heard anything the week before the 15th of May then you may be out of luck. Be patient!

They also told me that they will notify us if we were accepted or not at earliest the end of May, but probably the beginning of June. If you are not accepted you are more likely to get a letter by mail, if you are accepted you are more likely to get a phone call.

I hope this helps!! The waiting game can suck, but let's just hope for the best.

:)

Guest Sugarkitten777

hey how are you? i read your comment...i was also tested on April 17th and had my interview as well. Just waiting to know if i made the cut. Anyways, did they tell you what score you got on the test? Dr. Massimini told me that i got a 60/100, really bad but I didn't have time to study,since I got the invite the same week. How did u do?

Alene

Guest missbebe12

I don't know my score, but I don't think it was well... he told me to review my anatomy and physiology just in case I get in. I didn't ask for it since I didn't think I did good.

In terms of long distance applications... I THINK there were some people from other parts other than Miami, but I am not 100% sure. I didn't ask about long distance stuff, sorry.

I think they aren't doing it by whether u live close or not, I am sure they have some "system" of grouping the test/interview sessions. But don't feel discouraged. Again, I was told that the last test session is on May 15th and I was only told a week before so there is still time!

I hope the best to all, and that we all get in! Hehe.

• 2 months later...

I was suprise to know that there was an AS degree in PA. To be honest I did not even know there were bachelors degree until I found out that some schools in California had a BS. I have been stuck with CASPA and not looking for more schools that provide PA studies.

I am considering applying to MDC. I've checked some PA jobs sites and I've seen very few saying that they require a masters. Besides, in the brain bowl, MDC did really good in the past two years being top in the state and second national competing with students in masters level.

Are there any other students from the MDC PA program that can provide us with some more info? That would be really great.

If upi are in CA you can also look at SJVC, Standford, UC Davis and theres a community college that starts with an R....not sure of the name..Riverside or something...I think Charles R Drew is the only BS program in CA

I was suprise to know that there was an AS degree in PA. To be honest I did not even know there were bachelors degree until I found out that some schools in California had a BS. I have been stuck with CASPA and not looking for more schools that provide PA studies.

I am considering applying to MDC. I've checked some PA jobs sites and I've seen very few saying that they require a masters. Besides, in the brain bowl, MDC did really good in the past two years being top in the state and second national competing with students in masters level.

Are there any other students from the MDC PA program that can provide us with some more info? That would be really great.

I was thinking about Ca programs but just thinking how expensive is going to be moving from Fla to Ca, their cost of living is extremelly high. I may stick with states like Fla, Tn, Pa etc...

Fla doesn't have any BS program and I am waiting on MDC to tell me if they accept the classes I have taken so far.:)

Nope we only have the one AS program then as you start to head North you see more BS programs like Howard RIT and I think there are two or three more. For those CA schools you would really have to be a resident to get in just because they are really focused on providing PAs for their community and chances are if you are local you will stay local.

If you have a BS already then you will have more choices than someone who doesnt.....seeing as how most schools require one.

Also keep in mind that the NOVA campuses have articulation agreements with local universities to award a BS in Health Sciences and a MS in PA Studies. The one in Orlando will be expensive because its in conjunction with the FL Hospital College and that place is anything but affordable but thats also an option. Either way to go that route you would have to be an EXCELLENT candidate. To the best of my knowledge the Orlando campus has yet to accept anyone without a BS.

Yes, I have a BS already. Actually I have a law degree from a foreign university but it has been evaluated in the US by being a bachelors degree. Some schools do not accept foreign degrees and some already gave me the green light to go for it. I had to go back to school to take all the math and science classes so I decided to obtain an AA to make my admissions process easier and more competitive (once I have at least an AA I do not need to re-take the TOEFL again). I am aware of the prices of Nova and most of the private schools. I may also apply for MDC and then get a Masters at Nova or somewhere else. My dream is to become a PA so I don't think getting an AS PA will be bad as I will have to get the national certification anyway. I've heard the MDC program is as hard as any other one and in 2007 they had a 96% passing rate in the national examination.

California is very territorial in terms of BS and they are focus in primary care. I hope I can get here in Florida so I will not have to move. My second option is Tennessee.

I have my fingers crossed for next year and I have a very high Math/Science GPA plus working in a hospital for more than 2 years, plus shadowing PAs, doctors and clinical pharmacists.

Thanks for your help!

I hope I didnt give the impression that getting an AS is a bad thing...actually theres a program director of an AS program that I respect very much and if his program wasnt rural focused and partial to local residents I would apply.....

basically what I wanted to say is that they obviously get a lot of applicants and with a 4 year degree already, it opens up the amount of schools you can apply to like UFs program isnt that expensive either....more expensive than MDC but way cheaper than NOVA

in other words it usually a good idea to apply to a few schools to better your chances

Hello! My name is Ksenia and I sent an aplication to MDC for PA - (august 2010) program. I wasn't accepting yet, I need to pass the test and interview. (I hope I will pass)

I was wondering what would be the scheduale for the first year in MDC? is it Monday- Friday 8-3?

Thank you!

Guest Shawn Mac

Here in Florida, the laws are changing for PA's and Nurse Prac's as of 2012 all PA's in the State have to have a Masters Degree, this was just passed recently..

Guest Shawn Mac

I am having an extremly hard time getting intouch with Mrs. Hernadaz at MDC she never ans her phone and her assistant is quite nasty, I have talked with Dr Nicholas Massimini the director he seems very very nice..

I currently am working on my Bach degree in Biology at Edison State College was a former EMT-A Georgia and have worked as an ER tech in flordia and Now with an Infectious Disease Group my GPA is 3.51, What do you think my chances are of getting into this program for aug 2010? any help or suggestions would be great.

Here in Florida, the laws are changing for PA's and Nurse Prac's as of 2012 all PA's in the State have to have a Masters Degree, this was just passed recently..

all of the certificate and a.s. programs now have optional tie ins with ms granting programs for those applicants who already have a bs.

also just remember that because florida might require an ms doesn't mean than you can't earn your a.s. in florida from MDC then move to a more reasonable state to practice that does not require the ms......nccpa only requires that you graduate to take pance, there is no degree requirement as pa is a competency based career.....

Guest Shawn Mac

EMEDPA

I have a huge question, Maybe you can help? I love emerg med I love trauma,(former medic) as a PA can I do this as a speciality? I really like that or Forensic Pathology any call for PA's there? I am in Florida. thanks.

Hi Shawn Mac

Can you (or anyone else for that matter) provide the specific change in the Fla. PA Practice act that requires the Master's Degree? I can't seem to find it and I know it must be somewhere.

Thanks

LesH

I am having an extremly hard time getting intouch with Mrs. Hernadaz at MDC she never ans her phone and her assistant is quite nasty, I have talked with Dr Nicholas Massimini the director he seems very very nice..

I currently am working on my Bach degree in Biology at Edison State College was a former EMT-A Georgia and have worked as an ER tech in flordia and Now with an Infectious Disease Group my GPA is 3.51, What do you think my chances are of getting into this program for aug 2010? any help or suggestions would be great.

I did not have any problems talking to any person in the program. Keep trying!

all of the certificate and a.s. programs now have optional tie ins with ms granting programs for those applicants who already have a bs.

also just remember that because florida might require an ms doesn't mean than you can't earn your a.s. in florida from MDC then move to a more reasonable state to practice that does not require the ms......nccpa only requires that you graduate to take pance, there is no degree requirement as pa is a competency based career.....

One of the advisors at MDC actually told me they are trying to start the physician assistant bachelors program by next year.

Guest Shawn Mac

Actually how I found out was through the Doc's I work with they told me about it then I went and googled changes in law for PA's and Nurse Pracs, it will give you a list that compairs the two jobs as they are here in fla, then at the bottom of the page it gives you the changes that will taking place as of 2012, I wish I had saved the address, sorry I was just thrilled that the changes are all in Favor of PA's.

Archived