How competetive is the Miami Dade College program?

Guest Qsilver3783

Guest Qsilver3783

I was considering the program at Miami Dade College but have been getting mixed messages regarding required healthcare experience and such.....How competetive is it getting into this program?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Fender

It's extremely competitive, about 400 people applied this year and only 40 are going to be accepted. Regarding healthcare experience you need to have at least some volunteer hours or "shadowing" if you are a nurse, EMT, or a foreign doctor is a big plus.

Guest jimmy1980

yeah i dont know why alot of people dont say good things about this program. all they tell me is to better go to a school that offers the masters degree. Im confused too.

Guest Fender
yeah i don't know why a lot of people don't say good things about this program. all they tell me is to better go to a school that offers the masters degree. I'm confused too.

After you graduate from the MDC P.A program you obtain an Associate in Science(AS). If you live in Florida the AS is not a big deal because the state allows you to work with the A.S as long as you pass the PANCE Exam.

In other words It DOES NOT matter what kind of degree you have as long as you pass the exam you're good to go!!:). Now, MDC has a partnership with Nova University that allows you to have a bachelors after completing the MDC P.A program.

i don't know why a lot of people don't say good things about this program

Whoever told you that about MDC P.A program is lying. I'm not going to comment on that.

If you have more questions keep posting them we need more people to participate in this forum.

Guest jimmy1980

Oooh I see. PA student from nova told me this. what happens to me who already has a degree in biology? do i still have to go to nova? someone here mention that 400 people apply for the program but how many of these people need to have a four year degree in order for them to get accepted?

Guest jimmy1980

few months ago. my GPA is not that great though. it's only 3.2 and yes i have some experience. little less than 2 years!! I hope i have a good shoot. what do you think>?

Guest jimmy1980
Two questions:

1. When did you earn your degree?

2. Do you have any type of experience?

P.S

More info here:

http://www.mdc.edu/medical/AHT/PA/pa_criteria.asp

I went to the website and it says that you only need those requirement but then you call them and then they tell you that there are some people who apply with a four year degree or even a masters. I just hope im competitive enough. I have lots of science classes. i hope that helps. are you also applying for the summer of 09? are you applying to anyother school? plus do you have a BS or just a associates degree in arts?

Guest Fender

Excellent! what you need to do is to check if your sciences satisfy their requirements and then apply.

Regarding your questions I applied for the -08 term and had the interview last week. All I can tell you is that the program is very competitive.

Some recommendations:

1. Check if your classes meet their standards.

2. If you have to talk with someone about the program the right person is Jackqueline Hernandez extremely nice lady, do not call her go directly to her office and ask her. (at the medical campus)

3. If you live in Dade county, a plus.

4. Have Experience (direct patient contact)

5. Your B.S in Biology, a plus:cool:

I will keeping answering all your questions after I get some kind of answer from them.

Good Luck and

do not take NO as an answer.

Guest Fender
few months ago. my GPA is not that great though. it's only 3.2 and yes i have some experience. little less than 2 years!! I hope i have a good shoot. what do you think>?

You are a perfect candidate.

Again,

Good Luck !!

Guest jimmy1980

thanx!! I whish you the best too. let us know if you get accepted. as for me im going to try to take the GRE next month to see how i do and then probably apply to few more schools.

• 4 months later...

hi how are you

my name is juniel I just graduated from miami dade program of Pa, 08-01-2008, class 2008, it is a great thing that you guys are conseadering MDC, from my own experience is a great school, it could not be better, i had great professors, sometimes you will like to kill them but at the end, they are great in what they do, about school as I will talk from my own experience , i did not have a bachelor or a master myself, i and got in, I was one of those 400 that got the chance to have an interview with the faculty, and be able to start sept 01 2006, now to years after i am very proud to say that it was a great choice. for upcoming classes you will be able to get a BS if you do not have it, doing some online classes through NOVA . i am telling you guys, it is good, if you want more information go to MDC.EDU look for medical campus, programs PA. by the way a BS in biology is a plus, that will help you a lot, minimun GPA is 3 for science and 2.5 for the rest.

• 2 months later...
Im wondering if there is any advantage to going and getting your masters versus doing this program. I am interested in this program but i fear it will hurt me later not having the masters. If anyone could give me insite please let me know.

There are options that one can take should the need arise:

http://www.unmc.edu/alliedhealth/pa/dlp/

http://www.francis.edu/MMSTemplate.aspx?id=5472

http://www.atsu.edu/ashs/online_programs/physician_assistant/index.htm

http://www.nova.edu/mhs/overview.html

http://prospective.westernu.edu/health-sciences/welcome.html

FWIW

Good luck in your future PA endeavors

I have been researching job postings here in Florida and I have found that almost every ad says must have a masters degree. This of course is "almost" every ad....Some do not mention it at all but then who knows if it is a question asked during an interview.

As LesH says there are options to getting the Masters after PA school. The website says the program is currently on probation. When I called to try to find out, no one was able to tell me anything about it and all the mailboxes were full, so I couldnt leave a message.

I know several PA's that graduated from MDC and they had no problems getting a job. One guy I know works in internal medicine at UM and they never asked him what degree he had, they only care that you are licensed. Another guy I know works at Mercy Hosp in general surgery and I know the MD personally there as well and he doesn't care what degree you have.

So the moral of this story is that I have never heard of a job that requires you to have a certain degree. The important thing is that you complete a program and are licensed.

In addition, MDC is a great program and very cheap compared to other schools in S. Florida. So I think its a wise choice in many aspects.:)

Hi my name is Juniel Lopez PA-C , I graduated from Miami Dade PA program 08-2008, from my own point of view, what I can tell you is that the program is very competitive, the professors are great and they drive you to the point that you have to know the material, they will give you support to make you complete the program, now your part is 85 % there input is just 15 %, understand that they will give you the material but you are responsable to learn it and be ready to be tested on. so highly recommend this program for anyone that is highly motivated and wants to be great.

hi, My name is Juniel PA-C graduated from Miami Dade , I finished my PA studies with AS, now the Miami Dade program is very competitive, as good as NOVA or BARRY university program, the PA program at miami dade is not in probation anymore, it was in 2007, but my class 2008 passed the inspection, now you can get a BHSc or a Master degree, if you do not have this degrees throught NOVA University, because Miami Dade as a companion with Nova to get a BHSc or a masters doing some classess online, so it is a great opportunity and besides because since you are a MDC student you get discount on you credits from Nova , for more information please called Jacky Hernandez which is the student coordinator form MDC PA program at 305-237-4124

• 2 months later...
Guest Johnnyswim

I am grad. of Miami Dade PA-program class 2002 , The program was started by Dr Norman Rose, who also started Nova University PA program. Program was started by State of Florida, Just like University of Florida

Half of my classmate were FMG's or RRT, RN's, RT, PTA, PT.

600 people applied for 32 seats in the class.

Our professors were from University of Miami school of Medicine, Nova University Pharmacology school.

Most of my classmates finished our masters degrees online.

Plus Miami Dade Medical College PA program is located at well known Jackson Memorial Hospital/ University of Miami school of Medicine, Teaching Hospital .

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rusakaly

Has anybody gone on an interview from Miami Dade for -09 yet? I am awaiting if I recieve an interview or not. I checked with Jacqueline Hernandez and she said most likely I have a good chance to get one before May, but I am so antzy! I have a Bachelors but my GPA is not great. However, my science average is about a 3.0. I also have shadowing experience, multiple years of volunteering, and work experience. I am so nervous though! Did anyone recieve interviews yet? How long do you have to wait to find out?

• 2 weeks later...

From my understanding you shouldnt be anxious just as of yet. I heard they take all the way to July =(. I also heard after April 19 they will be accelerating the process though. Dont know how true that is. Stay calm because we still got a couple of more months to find out =/... I am also on the same boat. Good luck to all !:)

Guest rusakaly

That is reassuring! However, that is so much later than the due date :( I hate waiting! Let me know if you hear anything else!

Nothing yet, though I spoke to the director of the program myself and he made it clear that long disctance students wil hear form them by Mid April (15th) first and will get two weeks to get ready to come for an interview. In the mean time you should relax and pretend as you will not going to hear from them. As was told that they have over 600 applications already and the number will just continue to go up. YOU should not count on one program only. YOU should apply to many to be safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Any thing yet? It seems every time I call this school I get different responses. This is starting to make me feel that I should walk away from this school due to lack of consistency in getting the right answers. I was told that they closed their books for this term and that they already sent letters. Is this true? Please anyone?

Archived