Should we keep textbooks from undergrad?

I have just been accepted to PA school at the University of Colordo - Denver and I was wondering if anyone actually referred back to their textbooks from undergrad?

Basically, I am wondering if they are worth keeping (and moving across the US) or if I should donate/sell them??

I figure my anatomy book is worth keeping but what about various chemistry textbooks?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

The only books you might need to refer to are microbiology, physiology and anatomy. But you always will have Google for quick reference. I would donate or sell them. That's my 2 cents

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

I agree with the above, especially if you have an anatomy/physiology book that you like.  Though I'm guessing your school will recommend specific texts, and it's possible that they'll pull questions from those texts.

I would hold on to the anatomy book and sell/donate the rest. I found myself using the anatomy book a lot during my first semester and I have not opened it since.

Get rid of all of them. They are way too easy & irrelevant to the type of learning you will be doing.

Keep A&P and microbio. My program ended up using the same books I had 5 years ago in undergrad. The editions of course changed but the info is the same.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Stressedanddepressed
      Hello everyone, I am currently in my second semester of my didactic year. I struggled so much my first semester and ended up having to remediate one class. I feel like I retained nothing from my first semester and can barely recall things. I get so anxious everyday over my future . I have no idea how to face my family if I do fail. Also it would really crush me because this is what I've been working towards for the past 3 years since I graduated high school.  Compared to my other classmates I feel like I know the least. Living in fear everyday is really getting to me emotionally and I don't know what to do.
    • By magboo
      So I finally got a job at my dream hospital!! I am currently working there as a Patient Care Technician/ PCT. However, I will be leaving for PA school next year. I really want to return to this hospital and work as a PA! The problem is that getting a job at my hospital is super competitive. Is there a way for me to ensure/ increase my chances of getting a PA job in this facility in the future?

(Also, what do you guys think of requesting a absense of leave instead of quitting? Can I be able to come back to the hospital to pursue a higher position?)

Thanks in advance!
    • By chloepilgrim
      Hi There,
      I am in the process of a career switch and I was wondering what everyone thought my chances are of getting into a PA program.
      I graduated undergrad with a BA in psychology and a BS in neuroscience. In undergrad, I tutored Biology for a year. 
      My cumulative GPA was 3.5 and science GPA is 3.1 (I got C's organic chemistry + lab, and biochemistry + lab)
      I thought I wanted to become a researcher and so I entered a Neuroscience PhD program. Though after a year I decided I wanted to pursue a clinical route (research is too lonely) and switched into a Pharmacology Masters Program. I graduated with a graduate GPA of 3.2 and have taken classes such as physiology, gross anatomy (cadaver dissection) lotssss of pharmacology classes, neuroscience/psychology courses, and a very intense Neurology course alongside medical students.
      I also graduated with 5.5 years of research experience and a thesis that is *hopefully* going to be published.
      I am currently a medical assistant and plan on doing about 3000 patient contact hours before applying to PA school. I was wondering what the chances are of me getting into a PA program even though my graduate GPA is quite low and my undergraduate science GPA is also low.
      Thanks
    • By MeganPrePA
      Hello, I am a high school senior that is interested in becoming a PA. I‘m currently in the process of applying to colleges and would like to know what major would be the best for me to pursue. For a little bit of background, I had originally planned on majoring in Biology because I read that it was the most common route taken for PA school( I’m also quite fascinated with biology itself). However, after researching again, I now plan on getting a BSN so that I'll have a backup job in the medical field just in case everything doesn't go as planned. I've read that majoring in Nursing unfortunately doesn't look good because PA schools will question the student's commitment to the PA profession. Personally, I am certain that I want to become a Physician Assistant but I also want to be able to secure a job in the medical field after receiving at least my bachelors. It also seems as though the medical-related jobs that I could get with a Biology degree wouldn't be very patient care related, which is something that I wish to have in a job. Overall, I feel as though I would prosper in a more health-centered major because it relates more to my passion.
      So ultimately, my questions are:
      1. Between majoring in Biology and Nursing, which is the more advantageous route to take in order to become a PA? 
      2. Is there any true disadvantage to having a BSN when it comes to applying to PA schools? 
      3. Are there any other majors that would be a better choice to study than Biology or Nursing?
      I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can get help me out!
    • By sacharle
      There is an awesome organization called ThePAC (Physician Assistants of Color) that holds diversity events in multiple cities across the U.S. The next one will be in Detroit, Michigan on September 28, 2019. The event is a great opportunity for all three levels of the profession! https://www.eventbrite.com/e/thepac-takes-detroit-tickets-70091765357
      Pre-PAs get to talk directly to program directors from the local/surrounding region (this event will have 7), and get specific advice about their application profile from programs directly as well as experienced PA students and PA-Cs. 
      PA-S  and PA-C get to fraternize and network with each other as well as tap into resources such as job recruiters, financial advisors, and transition to practice information. 
      There are always lots of giveaways such as medical equipment, PANCE/PANRE prep, discounts on scrub companies, and more. 
      This event is open to any and everyone no matter the race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, etc. 
      If you cannot attend this event, give them a follow on IG @thepa.c or FB 'Physician Assistants of Color' so you can get notified of when the next event/location will be. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More