Hi all,

I became an EMT when I was 16, and I am now a sophomore at my undergraduate college.  Most of my EMS experience has been volunteer (aside from a few temporary paid opportunities).

I was wondering how I should count my total hours of "prior healthcare experience..."

As for my volunteer hours:

• Can I count the total number of hours I was on duty?  Or can I only count the hours that I was actually interacting with PTs? 

For my paid hours:

• If I was paid for a certain number of hours as an EMT, can I count all of those hours towards the HCE requirement?  Or only the hours that I had direct patient contact?

Thanks for helping out guys!
-Steve from NJ

The second you clocked in, wether it was paid or unpaid, you're now accumulating HCE. There's no way you'd be able to write down the exact minute you got the call and the exact second you began working with a patient, this would turn into a nightmare for CASPA and countless applicants trying to sift through the exact details of your specific hours. By all means, do not lie but do not go insane with sorting which exact minutes you were touching or talking to a patient, lump it all into one chunk of HCE. At your interviews, they'll invariably ask about your HCE at which point you can enchant them with your tales of specific patients and calls, but don't worry about that so much with CASPA.

I have about five years of full-time, paid and unpaid EMS experience. When I was filling out applications (CASPA and others), I found that it depended on the program. Some were fine with whatever number you put on CASPA (for me, it was the total number of hours I was on duty, and since I worked in a very busy, inner-city area, I felt like 95% of that was actually patient contact), some wanted additional verification in the form of a paystub history from my workplace, some on supplementals wanted me to re-estimate my total hours based on the percentage of hours I felt I had accrued direct patient care and not just on duty time. 

I would say just be prepared for anything, and put a number on CASPA that you feel you can justify/live with. :) 

Good luck! 

As per the above responses, ALL the hours count for CASPA.  Individual programs may have other ways of calculating things, which is just as much their right as adopting grade forgiveness policies is.

Count all your paid hours that you were working on the ambulance; don't count hours in dispatch or on a medicar.

Volunteer hours can be nebulous, especially without knowing what exactly "on-duty" means.

• If you had a scheduled shift and had to be in quarters unless on a call, then count those hours (essentially an unpaid job).
  • If you carried a pager 24/7 and responded from home/work/school/etc. when you were available, then I would only count the hours actually on a call. 
  • If you had a scheduled shift and were required to respond, but went about your day and responded from whatever you were doing when a call came in, then I would only count the hours actually on a call.

My advice: email CASPA , explain what "on-duty" meant, and ask them how to count those hours.

Definitely count all hours while on calls, not just with the patient, as documentation, clean-up, and restocking are valid health care experiences. 

Thanks for all your help everyone.  It's going to be a mess figuring out exactly how many hours I have (on calls/on duty).  I should have done some better documentation myself... but I'll make sure it all works out in the end.  Thanks again!

Thanks for all your help everyone.  It's going to be a mess figuring out exactly how many hours I have (on calls/on duty).  I should have done some better documentation myself... but I'll make sure it all works out in the end.  Thanks again!

doesn't have to be exact, just needs to be honest.

for example as a medic I worked 10 24 hr shifts/mo + occ. overtime. I didn't keep track of the o.t. hrs so I counted 240 hrs/mo x 12 mo/yr X yrs. accurate, no. honest, yes in that I underestimated.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By aa1041557
      I’ve recently been offered a position as a dialysis tech in an outpatient center. I shadowed the other day and the staff seamed friendly. My main duties would be weighing patients, cannulating them and setting up the machines, drawing labs, and monitoring their vitals throughout treatment. This all would be under the supervisions of an RN. I would work 8 and 10 hour shifts. I was hoping someone who has worked as a dialysis tech or knows someone who has could give me feedback about their experiences. I do already have 2 years experience volunteering as an EMT-A on a fairly busy service and plan on continuing to do so.  

I have also been invited to interview for a medical assistant position at an urgent care, but the interview is after the deadline to decide if I’m going to accept the dialysis position. 

The pros I see in working as a dialysis tech: Getting to know my patients and their cases. Experience in the chronic disease side of medicine. 

Cons: It’s could be repetitive work and I would really only learn about kidney disease.
    • By PANCEon
      I wish at 18, I would've chosen the pre-pa route and gotten an associate's degree in DMS or an echo cardiogram tech then continued to get certified in different specialties. I may have taken pre med courses as well. Became a CNA and worked in many different specialties, hospitals, hospice, nursing and rehab facilities for experience, money, connections, letters of recommendation, on the job training to get certified in imaging, phlebotomy, resp tech, occupational or physical therapy technicians, basic EMT 1-IV, ER tech, pharmacy tech, and become a American Red Cross CNA trainer or at least CPR, AED, BLS, first aid and phlebotomy instructor's. Setting up blood drives, charity events etc. Too many ideas to count. I know now that being a healthcare professional  is my calling. Some ppl can just play the piano, which I can't, but medicine/biology/anatomy, makes perfect sense. But, I'm 40 now, and my Psychology degree I got in 2001 afforded me sales positions from food broker territory manager, pharmaceutical sales, animal diagnostic laboratory sales manager. I worked from home and travelled all over. I liked being my own boss, and other's as well. I then became a seller and writer of mortgages. Now, I have been on disability for 10yrs and am ready to do what I was meant to. I just wish I was younger. That's why it's important for me to manage my time and not waste a minute doing something that isn't going to help me get in a program. 

• By PerspiringPA
      Hello all,
      I'm brand new to this forum. I graduated with a degree in biology and a gpa of 3.52, and was planning to go to medical school the whole way through, while also thinking a lot about PA school. I was ready to apply to med school while I was finishing college, but decided to take some time away from the academic environment to make sure I really wanted to do med school. After almost a year of soul-searching, researching and deliberation (in addition to the last 4 years), I have finally decided that PA is a more appropriate career path for me. I had a great mcat score (93%) and I had all of the volunteer and leadership experience to make me a competitive applicant for med school. Now that I'm looking at PA schools, I need to get my direct patient care hours, take anatomy and physiology (I didn't do the whole series since medical schools don't require it), possibly take statistics, and possibly take the GRE.
      I have 400 hours of MA experience (not certified). I know the doctor personally and worked there for 4 months, I learned a lot but it was a very disorganized clinic. I have about 200 hours working as an EMT-B. I'm wondering if I should keep working as an EMT for a year and apply for the 2021 cycle once I take anatomy and physiology at my community college. I've looked at a lot of threads on the internet and from what I've found, paramedic is the best prep for being a PA; things like, "they were a head and shoulders above the rest of their class," and "they were very  experienced with patient assessments and had great clinical presence." I've also heard that it's unnecessary and a distraction if your end goal is PA. I want to be a paramedic and get real experience doing more advanced patient assessments, but it would push PA school at least 2 years back since I'd want to work for at least a year to make it worth it. Being an EMT entails a lot of driving and sitting around the station, and when I do get patient contacts, I'm not in charge unless it's a stable (BLS) patient.
      Should I take the time to become a paramedic and get really good experience or should I get as many EMT hours as possible in a year and then apply?
      Also, do schools look at how many hours I've worked or do they need to know how much time I spent doing patient care, versus driving and sitting around the station, and how do I record that?

My other main question is whether I should take the GRE or just rely on my MCAT score and not apply to "GRE required" schools. I live in CA and would like to stay in California, or at least in the west (CA, OR, WA, CO, AZ, NV, NM). This might be a question for a separate thread. 
      I know this is a lot, but it's pretty much everything on my mind right now, please feel free to only answer a portion of it if you want. 
      Thanks so much for the help!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More