Sign in to follow this  
lilypark51

Where to start with "direct patient care" in San diego??

Hello,

I just graduated with Bachelor's in Biology at UCSD.

It has not been long since I've learned about PA and that I realized that this was what I do for my life.

But because I decided on this a little later than I should, I am lost.

I still have about a year sequence of prerequisite courses to fulfill and about 2000 hours of direct care ( I am thinking about getting a certificate @riverside community college-- considering the prerequisites, tuition, distance of the program, but where I go does not really matter as long as I can afford the tuition.)

I really wish to get a paid direct patient care job (because I am financially independent) but most of them I researched are either volunteering jobs or require certificate. Other than CCE (for it is only for 3months), do I have any other options? I also considered getting a certificate but I see they are all time consuming programs.

So my questions are:

is there a relatively short term certificates for direct care jobs?

or is there a paid direct care jobs that count towards PA requirements?

Thank you!

Hi Lily. I am from San Diego and also graduated from UCSD and am starting PA school in May.

For my HCE I didnt get a certificate. I got a job as a back office medical assistant for most of my hours.

There are also physical therapy aide jobs, mental health assistant, or chiropractic assistant jobs that may work. Just look for them on craigslist.

You can of course get a cna, phlebotomy, or emt certification in a pretty short amount of time too.

Feel free to message me if you have other specific questions.

Agree with the above.  CNA is probably the shortest course you can take if you want to go through an official school.  But, you may not need to take it from a school if there are places that will train you on the job.  Not sure how that works in Ca, but it's worth checking out.  There is usually no shortage of CNA jobs.  All the other suggestions above are great too.  Some of them may take a little longer, but some of them are also considered better HCE, so it's a tradeoff.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Majesticu
      Hey guys,
      I'm currently considering applying next year and was wondering if anyone could share their stats for getting into nova or any other school in florida, especially how many pce hours, since they don't seem to require it but I'm not sure how many most applicants have.
    • By DrewthePA
      Hello all San Diego PA's!
      I'm looking to shadow a Physician Assistant of any specialty here in San Diego County/Temecula area . I am studying pre-PA coursework at a local college for pre requisites and have been an EMT in San Diego for 8 months.I am professional, passionate about medicine, and inquisitive. I would be very grateful for any opportunity. Thank you for taking the time to reading my post.

• By PAPAIM
      Hi all,
      When I first started my job I was solely a research coordinator part time. Then they allowed me to scale back on research and start medical assisting too. How to I correctly input my hours if my hours changed from ~20 hours a week to ~12 in my position as a research coordinator?
    • By cemetra
      I’m currently attending a quarterly-based credit college and get 3 credits in some of my crucial prerequisite classes. All the pre-pa programs I’ve looked at say something along the lines of “Organic Chemistry - 3 semester hours or 4 quarter hours” but my college only gives 3 quarter hours for a class like this.
      I have no idea what I’m supposed to do. If my college gives 3 hours when I need 4, how do I get that additional hour? So confused!
    • By paapplicant2018
      Hi all! I am really struggling narrowing down the list of schools I want to apply to. I have already weeded out those that don't offer a masters, those where I do not fit the pre-requisites, and those that are too rural. I am not picky on location, but I would like to be somewhere suburban or urban. I also would like to be somewhere that the clinical rotations are not a very far drive (I am having trouble figuring this out because it is not explicitly listed on most schools' websites). I am mostly struggling to eliminate schools because I am worried about not getting in. I graduate this semester from a great school and will be applying as soon as the application is released. I am most concerned with my limited shadowing hours and limited service to under-represented populations. Here are my stats for applications:

3.63 GPA, Physiology major that has taken many upper-level biology courses, only alarming grades are C+ in Organic Chem 2 LAB and Gen Chem 2 LAB (My last 64 hour GPA is higher), only 18 shadowing hours (going to get 8 more hopefully before application), probably about 200 community service hrs (haven't fully calculated), 3-5 strong letters of rec lined up, 150 Verbal GRE, 157 Quant, 4.5 Writing, and roughly 3,000 clinical hours before matriculation. 

I am extremely worried about getting in, and this is making it difficult to narrow my options. I would like to apply to schools that I think I have a realistic chance of getting into. The following are the schools I am interested in. Does anyone have any advice on narrowing down my search? I have over 60 schools listed that I would consider applying for, but the following are my favorites:

University of Utah, University of Colorado, Arcadia University, Rush University, Mercer University, Butler, LSU, Augsburg University, PCOM, DeSales University, Penn State, UT San Antonio, Elon, MCPHS, Emory, UT Southwestern, Baylor and Eastern Virginia Medical. 

Please please please any help or advice is welcome! I am so stressed!! 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More